Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Please please help

:tearful: :tearful: :tearful:

Can someone please help - I don't know what's happened. I was just working on a paper and I went to open up something I'd worked on a few weeks ago to check some details - It's a major piece of writing for my PhD - and it was corrupt - all the field codes and references can't be read and it's extended it from 60ish pages to over 200. Then I went back to what I was doing and that had corrupted to - so I checked with my other files - the same - all corrupted. So I opened my saved copies - and they corrupted too.

I don't know what's wrong but I've lost all my PhD work of the last two years and the prelim work, nearly 4 years of work - I have no idea what to do I have my exam in about a month and I have to have the writing for that. I can't work on anything and I think all my work has been spoilt.

I can't loose 4 years work. I don't know what to do. :tearful:

Hi mumble....

I'm only guessing, but I'm wondering if maybe they've got reformatted to a different programme?

I have some old files I wrote years ago in Lotus that open exactly as you describe if i try to open them as word or text docs... the actually 'text' is there but it's there in tiny bits and bobs between huge chunks of programming language and rubbish... I would need a 'converter' from lotus to word to enable me to read them...

try right clicking and looking at the document properties - check it is still showing as a 'word' document (or whatever you wrote it in)... if it comes up with a different programme/format try opening it in that programme (but do NOT check any 'always use this programme for this type of file' type messages if you get them)...

A few days ago you mentioned problems installing a new piece of software and yesterday some changes to your java settings... I'd have a look at the new software's website in FAQ or forum areas and see if there's any similar problems (and fixes) to your own...

Gotta go out now, but hopefully someone will come along with more ideas... for now, though, DON'T delete anything, and DON'T make any permanent changes to file associations...

very best

BD :(

the actually 'text' is there but it's there in tiny bits and bobs between huge chunks of programming language and rubbish...

That's exactly what I've got. The normal writing is normal, but all images, references, footnotes, codes, cross-refs etc. which I use a lot have come up with a good half page of programming language each. It is opening with Word, so that isn't the problem. My internet is still running really slowly - particularly downloading images and the cookie-thingys (like the little orange boxes on this forum) make it stop totally, so I wonder if it's all connected.

I thought I'd get out my old laptop and work on that - and it wouldn't even start up it's caught in some sort of loop on startup. Obviously computers don't like me.

I didn't buy an external - I was waiting till after my exam and checking out the costs :( stupid stupid stupid mumble. I do have my files saved on USB sticks, but opening then has the same result. I don't know whether to go into college and try on their machines, but if it still doesn't work I'll be completely distraught (well I am already) and don't think I'd cope too well with the train journey. I'm better off in my room where at least I'm safer.

The problem is that I don't have any disks or anything - my computer was supplied by the disability dept of my uni and when the witch came to install it she was saying "you don't need this" and "you don't need that".

I don't know how you find people to fix it or what to do. PC world would be what I would do, but it's provided by the uni. I've a good mind to take it to my oh so helpful :angry: disability support officer on Monday morning and sit outside her office and refuse to move till she's found someone to fix it.

I've emailed my supervisor so at least he can't say I didn't tell him there was a problem and I really hope he has copies of things I've emailed him. I don't know what else to do for now. Other than cry. Which I'm doing well.

Hi Mumble,

I would have said the same as Baddad - that sometimes if it opens with a different program you get all the funny breaks and symbols etc - but if it's opening with word it can't be that.

I know I've used 'system restore' in the past if I've installed software that doesn't seem to be working and I want to get the pc back to where it was. It's in the control panel - I don't know if it would help though - not technical enough to know.

Take care - I'm sure someone will come along soon with the answers for you.

Jb

Thanks both :)

I can't re-whatever it as I don't have the discs it should have so will have to go through disability office.

I've found a few 'fixes' so I can at least access my files and sending them to other peeps, they can open them without problems, so I'm fairly confident I can save things.

I'm having an evening off now eating and drinking stuff that's bad for me as I really went into freak out and I'll go into college tomorrow (Sunday - how studious!) and see what I can retrieve :pray: :pray:

Monday I'll be onto whatever techi peeps I can find :unsure:

Back to that stiff drink now (don't, BD :shame::lol:)

Did you write the original documents on the same version of the programme as you are using now. If not (and it was an older one) it might be worth checking the piece of softwares manufactures to see if they make a conversion pack. I know microsoft has one for the office suite. If they do I'd be tempted to download it and try running it on the files. First I'd make a backup just incase. Really the programme shouldn't have saved any changes (unless you told it to) so I'd be fairly hopeful of getting the files back. Good luck, David.

P.S. Sorry to here that you're having problems. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>