Sign in to follow this  
aro

who's on line now board

I was just wondering why this forum has such a long time set (60mins) for who's on the forum.

Often I think a member is on line and reply to their post only to realise that as they haven't made any actions for 45 mins they've probably gone!

Could it not be set for 10 or 15 mins? Just wondering :unsure:

A x

Hmmm... I think that question came up before, but I can't find it! Not sure if there was a reason why, or if it was something that could be changed and got overloooked when other changes were being made?

I'll 'heads up' admin to this topic for an answer

:D

If someone closes their screen with out logging off the name is still up on the board as 'online' even though they are not. The only way the name disappears immediately is if the member 'logs off'.

Flora

BUMP!

Heard back from admin, and we can do something here...

We mods thought fifteen minutes sounded like a good, tidy 'lead out' time... anything less and we wouldn't have a clue who we'd missed (and with our typing speeds some replies take longer than that), while anything longer wouldn't make much of a differnce to the current confusion...

Sound okay?

We used to have two lists - who is online now (which was just now, so if you closed the browser you disappeared) and who's been online today. It made it much easier to send PMs as you could just click on the name. I liked that and it took me a long time to get used to this new upgrade. Can we go back to the 2 list system? :unsure: Also I find the anonymous member thing confusing - all a bit secretive for me :( However, 15 minutes sounds sensible - although what will happen if you're typing a reply and get called away - toilet, chocolate eating :eat:, fire alarm, whatever - and come back after 15 minutes - will you have to start typing all over again? Also I sometimes keep the forum running in the background whilst doing other things - will I have to log back on again? :unsure:

Mumble,

I don't think anything you were in the process of typing would get lost, your name would just drop off the active users list after 15 minutes.

But I'm guessing here.

K x

You won't get logged out after 15 minutes. You shouldn't notice any difference to the way the forum works.

We used to have two lists - who is online now (which was just now, so if you closed the browser you disappeared) and who's been online today. It made it much easier to send PMs as you could just click on the name. I liked that and it took me a long time to get used to this new upgrade. Can we go back to the 2 list system? :unsure: Also I find the anonymous member thing confusing - all a bit secretive for me :( However, 15 minutes sounds sensible - although what will happen if you're typing a reply and get called away - toilet, chocolate eating :eat: , fire alarm, whatever - and come back after 15 minutes - will you have to start typing all over again? Also I sometimes keep the forum running in the background whilst doing other things - will I have to log back on again? :unsure:

The online today one went with an upgrade, but it was also very off-putting because a lot of random generated, 'nasty' names would appear too... they never got through the verification process, of course, but they still looked awful and caused concern... we did ask at one point if we could keep the 'online' bit for members only but it wasn't possible... maybe it'll come in a future upgrade/bug fix?

I've gotta admit I don't like the anonymous member thing much either, but I guess it's a matter of personal preference. The facility has always been there - it was just not 'taken up' in the past...

The fifteen minute thing won't log you out or anything... It'll just remove you from the online list when you're connection is inactive. As soon as you start typing again you'll 'reappear'(?)

:D

That would be fantastic :thumbs:

And don't panic everyone, you don't get logged out or lose posts and if you view another site then come back onto the site you will still be logged on (unless your cookies need resetting)

A x

Edited by aro

I'm liking the secrecy thang! :bat:

Mwahahahahah!!

Bid :banman1:

:ph34r:

Sometimes it's me.

Sorry Mumble and Baddad, but sometimes I just feel like being a ninja secret sneaky person.

I suppose it might be because I live most of my day and life with someone noticing what I'm doing all the time, like having my trolley peered into at the supermarket by stray children who know me, and not even being able to go to the loo without someone bellowing a question or a demand through the door.

I don't mean to bother anyone, but I like the stealth option.

Don't feel bad, Bard...it's an option here so it's fine to use it!

I shall continue in Uber Ninja Stealth Mode! :ninja:

Bid :bat:

i never have to log off or on,i dont know why,i just turn on pc and i come on forum,without putting username in,wonder why that is,i like it that way though

secrecy bit dont bother me,you might feel like being invisible some days and not on others,each to their own i reckon

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an invisibility option for real life? You could go about your business untroubled by anyone - you wouldn't even have to change out of your jim jams. :)

K x

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an invisibility option for real life? You could go about your business untroubled by anyone

I have that :lol: I must do, the number of peeps who either walk into me or blatantly ignore me when I'm in distress :unsure: Just trying to work out how to harness the power so I'm in control of if and can bottle and sell it. There was a thing on QI last night about some guy who thought he would become invisible if he covered himself in lemon juice ... :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an invisibility option for real life? You could go about your business untroubled by anyone - you wouldn't even have to change out of your jim jams. :)

K x

Where S lives, women often go to the supermarket in their jimjams. She couldnt believe it!

Sounds painful, fnar fnar yak yak!

you didn't see the initial typo :wacko::lol: oh and the 15 mins is great, thank mods :clap:

A x

Edited by aro

Where S lives, women often go to the supermarket in their jimjams. She couldnt believe it!

i often used to go to shop in my pyjamas :lol: thought it was normal at the time,it was my local shop,no one said a word,well not to my face anyway :lol:

i often used to go to shop in my pyjamas :lol:

You've got a shop in your pyjama's?????

Have they got a car park too?

Is it a 'metro' or a Superstore?

Does Nick collect the trolleys?

Are they open 24hrs at Christmas?

Blimey... just think about the jokes you could make if this wasn't a family forum! :lol::whistle:

Any time I worry that I may be out of touch with the way that an adolescent boy's mind works, all I do is log on and look for you. Thank you for being such a consistent resource.

Any time I worry that I may be out of touch with the way that an adolescent boy's mind works, all I do is log on and look for you. Thank you for being such a consistent resource.

Always a pleasure, never a chore :)

It's what keeps me young. The knees may crack when I stand up, there may be an involuntary groan when I bend (yak yak - who's standing behind me?), but the mind's still as sharp as a....

as a......

erm.....

you know......

they hold carpets in place.....

no - not a rod.....

Rod Hull? you're being silly now......

i often used to go to shop in my pyjamas :lol: thought it was normal at the time,it was my local shop,no one said a word,well not to my face anyway :lol:

So it was you!!!! :lol: