Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Scary 'Puter Message

I've just started getting an error message constantly popping up from my system tray saying:

Windows - Delayed Write Failed.
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file F:\$Mft. The data has been lost. The error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

This comes up repeatedly when I'm doing anything - using word, on the Internet or not - I can click the little cross to make it go away but a few seconds later it's back again :( I'm not trying to save anything at the time it comes up and I always give files sensible names so have no idea what this is, so I'm slightly confused. Is my poor 'puter OK, or does he need to be admitted to 'puter hospital? :unsure:

It sounds as though it's having a problem trying to write data to the F drive but being Windows it doesn't give up so keeps trying (hence the message popping up again and again).

The first question is, does your machine have a F drive (if so, what is it)? Do you have any USB drives plugged into your machine (memory sticks, external hard drives etc.)? Are you connected to a network? Have you installed any programs or hardware recently? Have you been saving files this morning?

The first thing to try is the most obvious: reboot. That'll clear out anything that's trying to write, reset the attached drives etc.

If that doesn't fix it then a quick web search reveals some nastiness about hardware problems with the quick solution being to try the following (according to Microsoft) (Note: you should only need to do this for the F drive but if that doesn't fix it, follow the advice and apply this to every hard disk in your machine):

To resolve this issue, turn off the "Enable write caching on the disk" feature. To do this, follow these steps.

Note If you turn off the "Enable write caching on the disk" feature, your disk performance may decrease. Because of this, you may want to monitor system performance after you complete the following procedure:

1. In Windows Explorer, right-click your hard-disk, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Hardware tab.

3. Click the hard disk, and then click Properties.

4. Click the Policies tab.

5. Click to clear the Enable write caching on the disk check box, and then click OK two times.

6. Repeat steps 3 through 5 for each hard disk that is installed in your computer.

7. If the issue is resolved, do not continue with the steps in the "Advanced users section." If the issue is not resolved, continue with the steps in the "Advanced users section."

The original Microsoft article is here

Edited by TheNeil

The first question is, does your machine have a F drive (if so, what is it)? Do you have any USB drives plugged into your machine (memory sticks, external hard drives etc.)? Are you connected to a network? Have you installed any programs or hardware recently? Have you been saving files this morning?

The first thing to try is the most obvious: reboot. That'll clear out anything that's trying to write, reset the attached drives etc.

:clap: :clap: Thank you, I was clearly having a blond moment (despite not being blond) as was Mr Puter. I've given him a thorough telling off (well I booted him (hard :fight:) and that seems to have done the trick. I do have an F drive (it's a external hard drive) and perhaps it's testament to the fact that it does it's job syncing everything automatically that I'd just forgotten it - it sits behind Mr Puter (well they fight if they can see each other - like when Mr Puter pretends he can't find the printer despite it being next to him if they've had a falling out - I do keep telling them not to play hide and seek when they're cross with each other but they just won't listen to me :shame:).

I'm still slightly bemused as to what file it was actually trying to sync - do computers just make extra files with funny names to pass the time? :unsure:

Thanks TN - I owe you a Gorgonzola Muffin (possibly with a Lemon Top) at the York Meet :D

:clap: :clap: Thank you, I was clearly having a blond moment (despite not being blond) as was Mr Puter. I've given him a thorough telling off (well I booted him (hard :fight:) and that seems to have done the trick. I do have an F drive (it's a external hard drive) and perhaps it's testament to the fact that it does it's job syncing everything automatically that I'd just forgotten it - it sits behind Mr Puter (well they fight if they can see each other - like when Mr Puter pretends he can't find the printer despite it being next to him if they've had a falling out - I do keep telling them not to play hide and seek when they're cross with each other but they just won't listen to me :shame:).

I'm still slightly bemused as to what file it was actually trying to sync - do computers just make extra files with funny names to pass the time? :unsure:

Thanks TN - I owe you a Gorgonzola Muffin (possibly with a Lemon Top) at the York Meet :D

Windows does all sorts of things when it feels like it just for the sake of it (I think it gets bored - when it gets really bored it shows you it's favourite colour by painting the whole screen blue and won't let you do anything else until you kick it damn hard :fight:).

You need to give your printer, hard drive and computer a damn good talking to. If you don't keep them inline then they'll start going off on adventures and, as is the way with wayward IT stuff, either scam someone's credit card details or start World War III (I know, I've seen Wargames with Matthew Broderick (he popped round one night and the pair of us were bored)...and computers are a lot smarter now :wacko:)

Worth keeping an eye on the problem as one of things that can cause 'Delayed Write Failure' messages can be a dodgy/damaged cable connecting hard disks to machines - if it keeps happening then maybe have a look at replacing the cable.

Mmmm, gorgonzola lemon topped muffin [Homer Simpson style drooling]...