shamu

Melatonin questions

We got some melatonin for DS, on the advicce of our paed, and gave him 2mg last night. What a nightmare....

He got to sleep fine - within about 10 mins of getting out of the bath (recently he's been up for at least 2 hours after his bath/bedtime). So that's great.

BUT he woke at 4am and has been bouncing around like Tigger ever since :wallbash: . He often wakes early, but usually falls back to sleep within an hour or so. I haven't managed to get back to sleep this time (on the bad times, he's often relatively quiet so I can at least dose...).

What should I do? Do I increase the dose (he's nearly 5, over 20kg) and try again tonight, risking looking like a zombie tomorrow (well, I look like one today, but even worse tomorrow!) or do I stop it after just the one time? There's no way we would be able to get more melatonin down him at that time of day so I'm stuck with only giving him it before bedtime.

I'd say he's had significantly LESS sleep than usual, and from what I know about melatonin that's not usually the case. Has anyone else had this? Is it a one off bad night last night that may have little to do with the melatonin or is this likely to be the pattern for ds?

Thanks

Shamu

;)

personally, I find that dd sleeps very soundly for several hours and is then "refreshed" and bouncing too, I tend to reduce the dose to still help her get of to sleep but for longer. That said, we still have sleep problems here as dd has always been a waker! :rolleyes:

A x

personally, I find that dd sleeps very soundly for several hours and is then "refreshed" and bouncing too, I tend to reduce the dose to still help her get of to sleep but for longer. That said, we still have sleep problems here as dd has always been a waker! :rolleyes:

A x

My nephew has been prescribed Chlonodine which is working a treat with the sleep. He used to be awake til 10pm then drop off and the wake around 2am then back to sleep. He is only 6 and has been takin it just over a month. He takes this alongside Equasym XL 20mg which has also calmed him down. It has been a godsend this medication!

Thanks guys. Apparently there's a long acting prep as well, so I'm going to try the regular forumlation for a few more nights and if we have this pattern every time we'll ask DS's paed for the long acting prep.

Shamu

;)

Hi

My son has been on 3mg for a year. I must say it's helped us all, but it's it still has some drawbacks. Melatonin can help someone get off to sleep, but it doesn't keep them asleep. I've also found that it becomes far less effective (even ineffective) over prolonged periods of time and I've had to introduce eg weekend and holiday breaks from it. After checking with my son's consultant, I've also been advised that increasing the dosage can help too. In addition, a winding down period just before bedtime helps as well (must confess that I was advised against allowing my son to watch a DVD in bed, but still continue to do so because for us it works ie my son lies in his bed and is relaxed).

Best of luck with it.

Caroline.

You can use ordinary melatonin to get the child off to sleep and slow release melatonin to actually keep them asleep.

We've just discovered this at a recent review!

Ds#1 is now prescribed both and can take 2 2mg 'normal' melatonin and another 3mg slow release one - he takes them all at the same time.