Sign in to follow this  
KarenT

Ritalin

Some of you will know (those who can remember me - I'm hardly ever on here these days!) that J is about to be assessed for ADHD in addition to his dx of AS, which he got in July 2006.

A few weeks ago he had a meltdown at school which led to exclusion, and his Head Teacher suggested I contact CAMHS to discuss a trial of medication. The Head is aware that J only had a dx of AS but not ADHD as yet.

What I'd like to know is whether any of your children with AS have ever been prescribed Ritalin (or similar stimulant meds) without an ADHD dx. Can anyone point me towards any web sites on the subject?

I really think we've gone as far as we can on behaviour management strategies alone and that J desperately needs medical intervention, but don't want to go through the entire assessment proces first.

Karen

x

Gien the high degree of overlap between Asperhers/HFA and Autism (One study reckoned 60% of symptoms are common to the two conditions) I think whether or not Ritalin or similar should be considered should be based on your childs individual issues and needs rather than whether or not he has a specific diagnosis, so I would see now barrier to making that decision now.

Simon

my son was on methlphenidate for a time before dx of adhd still waiting for one, i was worried about him going on ritalin cos of all the things i heard about it, but the doctor pushed for my son to go on this pill, but it was at my own terms i would only give it to him if the side effects are not to bad and that it did not make him like a zombie, so the doctor just let me give it to him in term time, he never really had any side efforts to this drug, he is not on it at moment cos the doctor is looking into aspergers with him and does not want to give him drugs untill we know whats going on, best thing is to talk it over with cahms and dont be pushed into it.

Thanks for replies.

Well, I've just had an answer to my own question. Just got a letter from CAMHS psychiatrist confirming our appointment at end of Oct, implying that because J doesn't have an ADHD dx and because of the recent NICE guidelines, they can't prescribe without dx so will have to do full assessment first. We are actually ready to try medication for J because we feel we've come as far as we can on behaviour management alone (and he's struggling dreadfully in school with anger and aggression) but it looks as though it could be several months before he'll get so much as a sniff of Ritalin. In fact, if assessment is inconclusive and they don't dx, he may not get the chance at all :tearful:

Thanks anyway

Karen

x

We got to the same place as you with our son, the anger and agression was making him unmanageable. Ritalin has helped, but it's not a cure-all.

Do you have a community Pediatrician? Not sure how things are organised in our area, but she made the decision to prescribe not CAMHS. The recent NICE guidelines relate to other options being tried first, but we had alreaqdy explored a number of options before we reached that stage and I guess you have too.

Simon

Thanks for replies.

Well, I've just had an answer to my own question. Just got a letter from CAMHS psychiatrist confirming our appointment at end of Oct, implying that because J doesn't have an ADHD dx and because of the recent NICE guidelines, they can't prescribe without dx so will have to do full assessment first. We are actually ready to try medication for J because we feel we've come as far as we can on behaviour management alone (and he's struggling dreadfully in school with anger and aggression) but it looks as though it could be several months before he'll get so much as a sniff of Ritalin. In fact, if assessment is inconclusive and they don't dx, he may not get the chance at all :tearful:

Thanks anyway

Karen

x

I would mention the possibility of Ritalin helping him at his assessment. If the assessment is inconclusive, they may be inclined to diagnose ADHD simply so that he can try the Ritalin. This kind of diagnosing happens frequently in America because of the way their medical insurance only covers medical treatments recommended for particular conditions, but with the increased guidelines we are getting in this country, it is happening more and more often here as well.

he's struggling dreadfully in school with anger and aggression) but it looks as though it could be several months before he'll get so much as a sniff of Ritalin.

Ritalin will only work if he does have ADHD (if he does not it will make him worse). Anger can have different causes. There are other meds that he could take (eg: for anxiety). Once he has been assessed and the root of the problem found, then appropriate meds can be suggested.

One of my son's took an anti-depressant for a while and the other took a mood stabiliser for a while.

No advise I can offer hon, but just wanted to send you some >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Catch up soon I promise (things mad here as usual!!!!)

xxxxxxx