Sign in to follow this  
bikemad

Ds been prescribed Melatonin

Ive read all the threads n apologize for posting bout what is a well discussed topic lol...does it def work...my lad is having 5mg a night n takes it for 3 weeks then week off then 3 weeks then week off etc...my lad will not entertain the idea of swallowing a tablet at all so im hoping it l be the kind that can be dissolved!!!! Pick up the 1st lot next week cos the cahms guy is doing it thru my doc so as ive not gota go see him everytime I need a script n can just get it repeat thru my doc :unsure:

Good Luck, we got fast melts until they stopped making them, then we progressed to liquid, what a nightmare that was, but he got use to it, and now has his in milk, I personally think 5mg is too much for the first dose, Js on 2-4mg, and that is enough for him.

Let is know how it goes.

JsMum

Hi, P wouldnt take the tablets either when he was younger. Luckily they have very little taste so I crushed them and put them in fromage frais or yoghurt. He is now fine with the tablets. I'd echo the thought that 5mg is a bit much to start. P only takes 1mg and has done so for 6 years now. We have breaks during holidays but a weeks break during school time wouldnt suit him at all. Good luck....melatonin gave us our lives back!!!

Actually im glad you both thought 5mg was a bit much, when he said I thought hang on most on here are on between 1-4mg.....might have a word with the doc in charge of sorting the repeat scrip. Hope it works tho cos im so exhausted n desperate for a tidy nights kid for both me and my son!!!!

Dose is a personal thing. Our DS takes 4mg because 2mg was no longer doing the trick, for other children just 1mg can do the trick. You need to use the lowest dose than consistently does the job for your child rather than get too hung up on what other children are taking.

Simon

Dose is a personal thing. Our DS takes 4mg because 2mg was no longer doing the trick, for other children just 1mg can do the trick. You need to use the lowest dose than consistently does the job for your child rather than get too hung up on what other children are taking.

Simon

All I was pionting out was that the first dose was high, jay started on 2mg, and has increased to 4mg but to be honest 2mg is enough, Thats all I was pointing out, If I gave Jay 5mg tonight, he would be zonked. as he isnt use to it, any medications should be a gradual increase, personally 5mg is too much first dose.

JsMum

Tbh I thought it would start low then build up to the correct dose for my lad....been told the script will be ready to pick up next Wednesday(didnt think a script took that long but hey ho)so cant use it that night cos ds has his operation the next day n will be up before a sensible hour lol so it l be Friday before il start to use it so will let you know how it goes.

You could always try you son on the medication on a Friday evening that way you would know if the dose was too much.

My son also started on 5mg and he was younger than your son. But at the time he was highly agitated and hardly sleeping. Even than we had to give the melatonin about 1 till 2 hours prior to him going to bed.

We have combination of melatonin doses of 5mg and 2.5mg. We increase the dose as necessary. So at the moment he is on 7.5mg. But as other people have said the dose depends on what you child needs.

We only give our son melatonin in Sep, Oct, Nov Dec because it takes him this amount of time to settle into school life. Than in January he goes without, if he is stable and we restart the melatonin for the first and last week of the school half term and end of term..

Edited by lynne

Rung the docs today no sign of script so rung cahms n spoke to the bloke who sees ds he only did it today so wont be ready til prob Friday now at the earliest...was hoping to begin it on a weekend if possible in case of side effects etc.

Tel me bout it....again today ive had to chase it...told to ring back at half 4...sat ringing....no answer grgh!!!!!!!