Enid

Junk Mail

I have today started receiving junk mail using my user name Enid, as I only use that name on this site I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problem? Does that also mean my identity is at risk, I use this forum to let off steam and would hate anyone to know who I really am!!!!!!!! Enid, or am I :whistle:

Even if someone has used this website to email you, they do not actually get to see your email address unless you reply to the email.

I am sure that your identity is safe, but I will drop Admin a PM in case they haven't seen your post, and hopefully they will be able to reassure you.

Hi all,

Whilst I dont know how you came to be receiving email to the username Enid I can tell you that nobody can get your email address from the forum and that forum email is disabled.

Hope this reassures you a bit,

Merry Krismas,

Kris

Gosh, thats really worrying Enid, has someone perhaps who already knows you been reading the forum :unsure: put 2 and 2 together realised Enid is you and sent you the junk mail.................do you think you are being targeted??

.........hope this isn,t something done in a nasty manner, you have enough to cope with >:D<<'> , best wishes suzex.

No krisi it does not reassure me one bit, got over 20 spam today, all addressed to Enid, I only use this name on this site so how can this be and I am the only one using this computor. Enid

yes suze, only have 1 email address and use it for everything, so the spam is coming to that but using Enid in the title, which is the name I use exclusively on here. Enid

Just a thought, are you on Facebook? I know several forum peeps on there so of course we know each others real and forum names & emails. Not saying anyone would deliberately do anything nasty but if it happened to me I'd assume thats where it came from, I think. Recently there were fake messages sent supposedly from someone (who hadnt sent them) which turned out to be malware.

Hi enid - If it was anything to do with the forum the same thing would be happening to others, so it's more likely to be that somewhere along the line 'enid' and other accounts (i.e. facebook or something as pearl suggested) have somehow got 'connected'.

The only other thought that comes to mind (but I've got to admit i've got very limited knowledge about this kind of thing so could be talking out of my hat) is that you've downloaded some sort of 'keylogger' or tracking cookie malaware somewhere that has picked up on 'enid'... the downside of that is that once an identity gets into one spammer list it tends to get bigger and bigger.

If you haven't got it already, try downloading a freeware 'malaware' detector (I use spybot, and there's also an inbuilt filter in Avast antivirus which acts as 'belt and braces', but AVG used to be okay too and there are others about) to look for any adware/keylogger/tracking cookies and enable a spam filter on e-mail...

Hope that helps, and good luck sorting it out

:D

Thanks for advice and no am not on face book, dont use any other forums. I do bank on line, but as I say Enid is not my real name!! I also have Norton protector on all the time, no more junk since this morning so will have to see what happens. Enid (allegedly)