jo jones

phenergan???

sorry mods for starting this here i tried to put it in medication and wouldnt let me??? dunno why but im sure a kind mod will move it for me thanx in advance,,anyway last week boyo was given phenergan to help him sleep,,only now they deciding to try something cos im at my wits end!! the psych said 5ml to be given at about 9 pm ,should take half hour to work then he should drop off???? omg was totally flying and walkin the walls??? she did say he may react the opposite,,,we have done like she said and tried for 3 nights but it just seems to go the other way??? has anyone else used this and would this need to be used over time for effect or should it work asap???? psych told us to ring her and let her know but i dont want to be on the fone to her only after using it for the first couple of days!! any advice appreciated thanx jo xxxx

There was some talk on this on one of the parenting forums I used basically it is a anti histamine and can cause hyper problems. Why not talk to them about melatonin. If it is not working it is very unlikely it will start.

thanx moll she said she had 2 meds in mind before trying melatonin ,so i guess maybe she will try him on the other one first,,i hope??? drives us mad it does,,his sleep pattern is roughly between 1 and 2 am????? but only because they think im having a nervous breakdown are they willin to try anything,,,,yes sleep deprivation is awful and is makin me ill, but will soldier on and try what they give him,and its not even that he is calm because he is flyin anyway without the meds!!!!!!but o/t has said its because he cant shut down sensory and is sensory seekin??? they have ruled out adhd?????

Hi, We use melatonin and brilliant for J, I would request this, there is minimil side effects and no hyper behaviour,

Also as your son is older, have you seen the new paul kenners Sleep book, Im getting it as I watched his review on BBC this morning, gonna give a try, apparently lots of NLT and CBT and relaxation techs.

Just suggesting it incase your interested in it.

JsMum

jsmum,,i have just rung and psych not in tday so will try tmrw,,i asked them to try melatonin first but they said they want to try others so im not sure,,when we went to o/t few weeks ago she tried a weighted blanket and used a meditation storybook,,omg he was chilled out,,but she said she will resource the book and let me know??? im still waiting???because we will try anything to help him,,the books he reads now he says are exciting,hence keeps him awake,,and the story the o/t read was sooooo boring i was nearly sleepin ha ha,,so that will be the way forward i hope..i am definately interested in anything that will calm him so will look in to getting it,,and thank u,,xxxx

Hi.I may be wrong as I am attempting to remember. :)

Phenergan used to be used by parents before the days of melatonin I think.I have memories of friends talking about it when my elder son was little.He is thirteen.I think I remember a story of a parent who used it to sedate their young child on an aeroplane flight.The effect was as others have described......a drunk like stroppy but not sleepy toddler. :lol:

So it may be worth going back to the paed to ask about melatonin instead.Karen.

i will do,,,he dont need to be any more hyper at 2 am than he already is,,ha ha

Hi again.I have done a quick google to check my facts and they are right.Phergan is an anihistamine that has the side effect of drowsiness.It did used to be used more for sleep problems in children but is not used so much for that now.One of the possible side-effects is that it can make children hyper and over-excited rather than sedated. :) Karen.

You can buy it over the counter, I do for one of mine whose travel sick, knocks him out but not for long!!! so dont see how it could keep a child asleep. Enid

mad innit cos the one that u buy over the counter with phenergan in it,starting with M i have in the house anyway because if he is ill i swear by it!!! and that does knock him out,,,but obviously i dont want to use that if he isnt ill?? so i will have to see what she says???????

when we went to o/t few weeks ago she tried a weighted blanket and used a meditation storybook,,omg he was chilled out,,

J has a weighted blanket, it does help him a lot and it has brought J down from high stress anxiety, however he needs his melatonin on top, both together and we have a sleepy boy, so I would look into using the melatonin and the weighted blanket together.

If you want a website where I got Js WB then Just PM me.

JsMum

we tried it wen shannon was tiny worked for a very short while and they kept upping the dose as she seemed to get amuned to it and then started goin the other way and she was running around all the time.. didnt sleep day or nite boohoooooo i wud ask about melatonin again goodluck

love donnaxxxxx

Actually phenergan frightens me a bit as there is a slight chance of respitory failure :blink: however in desperation we have tried it and I have to say it seemed to make my dd more hyper too. Not bothered again!

We use melatonin and on week nights medised if she wakes which takes about an hour to work. However we find that if we use it a few nights in a row it ceases to work. Very careful management and still a lot of broken nights unfortunately :(

A x

aro,,phenergan is the main ingredient in medised which we use when he is ill,,and it does work for him and he is gone in bout an hour,,,what confuses me is the dose she has given him is 5ml,,but yet if he was havin medised he could have much more??? i will see what she says tmrw cos i dont want her to up the dose and he be awake even longer????? ohhhhhhhh noooooooooooo,,,,,, x

I swear by melatonin....J used to be crawling the walls still at 1am but now with melatonin he has it at 8pm n is usually asleep between 9.30 and 10pm. He has 3 weeks on 1 week off n my god the week off is horrendous bigtime cos he hardly sleeps.

aro,,phenergan is the main ingredient in medised which we use when he is ill,,and it does work for him and he is gone in bout an hour,,,what confuses me is the dose she has given him is 5ml,,but yet if he was havin medised he could have much more??? i will see what she says tmrw cos i dont want her to up the dose and he be awake even longer????? ohhhhhhhh noooooooooooo,,,,,, x

Medised = Diphenhydramine

Phenergan = promethazine

Benadryl is the same as medised.

A x

basically the same stuff though i ad look in bma in work,,,,promethazine,,,,,brand names- medised,night nurse,tyxilix nite time the list went on,,,,x

basically the same stuff though i ad look in bma in work,,,,promethazine,,,,,brand names- medised,night nurse,tyxilix nite time the list went on,,,,x

The online BMA had no results for either but the British National Formulary has them as seperate drugs and products, the only link was they are both classed as sedating antihistimes.

Perhaps you could put the BMA link up for us?

Just concerned as people need to know the drugs in products if they are taking other drugs too. (I always have to check due to daughters epilepsy meds)

A x

ahhhh I wonder if this clears it up...

googles Medised and promthazine and found some old entries including a similar discussion on another forum in 2007... medised (entry dated 10th Aug)

It seems that medised used to contain promethazine a few years ago but then changed to Diphenhydramine. :rolleyes:

A x

Edited by aro

we have the bma book in work,,we use it as we administer drugs to service users,, and we always double check in the bma as it gives u more info than what is on the patient info leaflet,for prolonged use and contra-indicators and so on,,so i looked it up as the generic name and the brand names then are shown also,,,very informative as then u know what u r buying over the counter,,,if u are eva concerned about medication and need info please feel free to pm me and will look up the relevant info for u,,i dont think there will be a link for the bma unless anyone knows as we have to purchase the book via company policy,, jo x,

The online BMA had no results for either but the British National Formulary has them as seperate drugs and products, the only link was they are both classed as sedating antihistimes.

Perhaps you could put the BMA link up for us?

Just concerned as people need to know the drugs in products if they are taking other drugs too. (I always have to check due to daughters epilepsy meds)

A x

One very important thing to note.thought I would say .

Medised does NOT just contain the antihistamine that is in phenergan.It also contains paracetamol.This is extremely important to remember.....because the amount of parecatamol in the medised would need to be noted and medised should not be used at the same time as other products containing parecetamol.

Also people should not take medised if they should not take paracetamol.

Please do read the label to be clear about whether it is appropriate, :) Karen.

Edited by Karen A

According to Medised company it doesn't contain Promethazine

Thank you for your email regarding Medised.

Medised does not contain Promethazine. Should you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact Consumer Relations on FREEPHONE 0800 0742040 (Mon-Fri between 9 and 5).

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us.

Hope that helps.

And yes as it does contain paracetamol we use it very carefully!

A x

Blimey, they emailed me again...very helpful company!

Thank you for your email regarding Medised.

There is currently only one product in the Medised range; Medised for Children, containing paracetamol and diphenhydramine.

In the past there have been other Medised products available; Medised (original) and Medised Sugar & Colour Free, both of which contained paracetamol and promethazine.

Medised Infant had the same formulation as the current Medised for children containing paracetamol and diphenhydramine.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us

A x

same difference,,,,,used for same purpose,except paracetamol in medised so helps with pain relief,which phenergan does not,,,i think i will stay with the bma,,

Edited by jo jones

Phenergan, medised or other sedating antihistamines had exactly the same effect in my son, he was hyper! Apparently this reaction is more common in hcildren with neurodevelopmental disorders. Also you are more likely to trigger hyperactivity by underdosing and off the top of my head 5mls doesn't sound like a big dose. So he may need a decent dose for his age and weight. Saying that we now give DS melatonin, our paed only used phenergan if melatonin fails. Melatonin has been a god send and really helped DS settle to sleep :)

Lx

hi lizk and yes he is hyper on it ,,psych rung me back thurs and upped the dose and said give it much earlier??? 7 pm,,,,still no difference he is still flyin around the house at 12 ish???? im waiting for their call as they were going to review again tday and possibly change to something else??? i hope so,,xx

I swear by melatonin....J used to be crawling the walls still at 1am but now with melatonin he has it at 8pm n is usually asleep between 9.30 and 10pm. He has 3 weeks on 1 week off n my god the week off is horrendous bigtime cos he hardly sleeps.

Bikemad,

just passing on our breaks in melatonin,

I feel a week is too long, and breaks the routine too much for them to get into a ' habitual sleeping pattern' so all the good effects of having melatonon is lost when he doesnt have melatonin for long periods.

Try doing a weekend OFF melatonin once a fortnight, for us this works better than a whole week without melatonin and he will still get a break so resisting the tolerance levels.

JsMum

well psych rang me again mon to review,,,upped the dose to 15ml and said give it to him at 6pm??? still dont seem to have an effect except make him hyper????????? gonna review again tmrw,,,he is still not sleepin till bout 12,30,,?????????????? dont know what they gonna try nxt?? jo

reviewed again????? she has just rung and said he goin on summin else from mon,,,,,?????????? she said this one should be quicker acting cos the phenergan is not acting quick enough??? i should say 7 hours roughly!!!!!!! bring on more sleep deprivation till then ,,,watch this space innit !!!!!!!!!!!!! x

Has anyone tried Valergan for sleep purposes? I was prescribed this for Glen a few years back and it did help and still does, however I only use it occasionally when I really have to.

omg was totally flying and walkin the walls???

when my son was young he would do this if we gave him phenergan. He is now 15 and when we give it, is usually as a last resort and it has the desired effect. we are waiting to see a phsychiatrist about medication.

I used to swear by Medised before DS got Menatonin last year, I only used to give it to him about once a week so I could have a good sleep and he could have one nights rest too. When we are on camping holidays he would be begging me to give him Medised by about night 4 because he was so exhausted but couldn't sleep - poor little chap!

I was prescribed Phenergan once when he was around 3 and I was desparate for sleep when I had baby twins, I didn't give it to him because he was under the age limit. I remember the doctor saying something like "if the chemist asks why you are getting it tell them you are going on a long flight" ;)

I discoverd a couple of years ago that my mother fed me phenegan every night for over a year when I was a toddler!!!!! AND I am not ASD (obviously not much of a sleeper as a child either LOL - I did have 6 siblings!)

On the plus side, that was over 35 years ago, and it never did me any harm - I went on to live a normal life, passed exams, and have a regular sleep pattern eventually.

If I have problems sleeping now, I still prefer a swig of piriton to any of the herbal stuff out there. Does the job and has no side effects. I even checked with a consultant immunologist I know, and he said that it appeared to be impossible to overuse antihistimines!!!! His advice to anyone who suffers any allergic reaction, is just take more :unsure:

I think on the whole, for occasional use, it is much simpler to give kids a drowsy antihistimine than get stuff on prescription. We always have piriton around anyway. If you are looking for an ongoing, permenent solution, you'd be better off discussing pro's & cons of all options with your Dr.

Can you just get it over the counter for children then? I thought it only came in tablet form?

comes in yummy tasating medicine form. The small always reminds me of my childhood - my mother used it as a cure-all for decades

sorry mods for starting this here i tried to put it in medication and wouldnt let me??? dunno why but im sure a kind mod will move it for me thanx in advance,,anyway last week boyo was given phenergan to help him sleep,,only now they deciding to try something cos im at my wits end!! the psych said 5ml to be given at about 9 pm ,should take half hour to work then he should drop off???? omg was totally flying and walkin the walls??? she did say he may react the opposite,,,we have done like she said and tried for 3 nights but it just seems to go the other way??? has anyone else used this and would this need to be used over time for effect or should it work asap???? psych told us to ring her and let her know but i dont want to be on the fone to her only after using it for the first couple of days!! any advice appreciated thanx jo xxxx

It doesnt work for any of ours!! And it makes them more hyper. I am really surprised you got it prescribed for insomnia. They are really funny about it these days when you try and buy it, asking about age of child and what for.