Sign in to follow this  
bikemad

DAMP

Had a camhs appointmet earlier and he has said he thinks my lad may have DAMP as he has aspects of both aspergers and adhd plus other stuff aswell. Anyone know much bout it, ive googled it but not found a lot.

It,s mentioned on my sons dx as being another term to use to describe his difficulties, I think its a term used more in scandanavian countries :wacko: ,I was always lead to believe by the physch that it comes under the ASD umbrella.

Hadnt seen that link no so thanx all ive got is a pdf document on it...wasnt sure what it was ummm whats the word associated with if that makes sense.

This diagnosis was developed in Sweden as it is a Swedis diagnosis the original letters that make up DAMP are

(Dysfunktion i fr�ga om Aktivitetskontroll och uppm�rksamhet, Motorik-kontroll och Perception)

Which approx translates to

Dysfunctional Activity-Control (attention) Motor-kontrol and Perception - cointed by Gillberg in Sweden

It is strongly linked to ADHD but is usually used where the symptoms of ADHD are combined with a developmental coordination disorderl used where there is a significant level of motor control and perception problems - as well as language delays

This diagnosis was developed in Sweden as it is a Swedis diagnosis the original letters that make up DAMP are

(Dysfunktion i fr�ga om Aktivitetskontroll och uppm�rksamhet, Motorik-kontroll och Perception)

Which approx translates to

Dysfunctional Activity-Control (attention) Motor-kontrol and Perception - cointed by Gillberg in Sweden

It is strongly linked to ADHD but is usually used where the symptoms of ADHD are combined with a developmental coordination disorderl used where there is a significant level of motor control and perception problems - as well as language delays

Thanx...makes a lot of sense then when it comes to my lad...the camhs guy has said he has aspects of aspergers and adhd but also a lot of other stuff too.

This is Annies tentative diaognosis made by the CDC. Her pead' felt it best explained why she had boits of this, bits of that that were causing significant learning problems but did not fit the criteria for a formal label of ASD and related disorders.

It comes out as a spacey dreamer who clumsly moves through a differant time and space to the rest of the world.

She is hypersensitive to touch, sounds and smells. Hyposensitive in needing lots of sensory input to know where she is sitting, what she is standing on etc . This label meant she finally got he mix of physio, OT and extra support she needed in school and she is making very good progress as a result.

I think this label helps by giving people a description of the areas that cause difficulty and allows a child who does not fir a full criteria who clearly has difficulties to get the help they need.

I have not found anything in English that is really helpful but I can recommend the 'Explosive Child' by Ross Greene. Annie is not 'explosive' but she was becomming very withdrawn and anxious because of DAMP and this was the most helpful book I found in making her and my life easier. If I do find anyting better I will let you know.

Hope having this tag helps your son access the support he needs to thrive.

My lad has sensory avoidance disorder n it is a huge part of daily life like your dd but also has a foul temper and is pretty mean n getting nasty with it but he also has episodes of total hyperness n nothing brings him down then other times he is locked into his own world. Il have a look on amazon for that book in a sec. Thanks for the info. :thumbs:

My lad has sensory avoidance disorder n it is a huge part of daily life like your dd but also has a foul temper and is pretty mean n getting nasty with it but he also has episodes of total hyperness n nothing brings him down then other times he is locked into his own world. Il have a look on amazon for that book in a sec. Thanks for the info. :thumbs:

I think that may be a 'gender' difference; boys tend to act out feelings at certain ages were as girls internalise them.

Annie bursts into tears and rips her own things to pieces and the only way to calm her down is to wrap her head to foot in a soft fluffy fleecy blanket and let her curl on on the sofa with a soft schoozie ball in in each hand, light an oil burner with th orange and cininmon oil she loves and walk round on tiptoes for a bit.

Your lad may be expressing his inner distress and overload in a more 'in your face' way, either can be rather wearing on the old parental nervous system though.

Had a thought.

I managed to access Studio 3 Low Arousal Interventions vis the NHS which proved very helpful in picking through the minefield that can happen in a family where children have taken a pick and mix approach to the potentially volitile mix of adhd, asd, dyspraxia and related sensory and other co-morbidities. I do not know if the same may be available in your area of what criteria may be used to decide which families most need access.

The explosive Child does seem to be based on a similar approach.

Il look into that n find out if it is available locally.

It is def wearing bigtime...I feel drained all the time.

Hi there, my son has dx adhd, also displays ASD traits, Tourette type issues paranoia, defiance disorder traits and hypermobility syndrome(not diagnosed bu I am diagnosed and he is worse than me)

I have been told that they are all(apart from the hypermobility) just part of the ADHD. So many paernt I talk to with ADHD kids have ASD tendancies and other ADHD related things.

I think there must be a root cause for

ADHD/ADD

ASD

Dyslexia

dyspraxia

dyscalcula

Tourettes

communication dificulties

emotion regulating

ocd

odd

sensory processing dificulties

anxiety

hypermobility

and I'm sure I've forgotten some as I'm having a block...

Oh yes, some memory problems!

It fustrates me that as many people/kids have different combinations of these sort of issues yet we all get different diagnoses depending on who we see. I think the powers that be need to group all these things into one category relating to the cause not the symptoms but give people, aditional to their diagnoses a break down of how they are affected.

I know that my son has literal interpretations of things and sensory issues but his diagnoses doesn't say that. It says ADHD and the world doesn't know how similar ADHD and ASD is so it doesn't help him with this to simply say that this is due to ADHD.

I think DAMP is an attempt to group a set of 'symptoms' into one diagnosis but we would have to create lots of these groups to give each child one diagnosis. I hate the term damp too!! Makes it sound like the child is a wet blanket!

Multiple diagnosis are very worrying and leaves us feeling 'what next?' Usually all the behaviour traits and dificulties are all diferent presentations of the same thing with the same nuerological root cause.

Thats what I thought when he said damp it sounds really demeaning. To be honest I leave every appointment thinking what next cos with the bloke at camhs it seems never ending. :(

Had a camhs appointmet earlier and he has said he thinks my lad may have DAMP as he has aspects of both aspergers and adhd plus other stuff aswell. Anyone know much bout it, ive googled it but not found a lot.

i was dx with damp when i was a child it is something to do with speech delay and as far as i noted that its part of the global developmental speech delay and i wasnt even dx with autism as a little one not in my teens