• Announcements

• Kris

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team
Sign in to follow this  
Enid

Sharing laptops

Enid   

Hi all,

When I google something on my laptop the computor shows what has been googled before with the same beginning letter, eg. if I type in re, it comes up with the suggestion of residential schools. now is there anyway I can stop this, we only have the one computor and the kids have to use it in the living room, but I dont want them to know what I have been googling, especially residential schools for DS!!!!!! hope I have made this clear enough. Enid

Mumble   

I know what you mean and I've been wondering how to get rid of these as they come up in our shared computers in college. :unsure:

I think it might be something to do with cookies, but all I know about them is that I like oatmeal and raisin best :eat::eat1::lol:

Kathryn   

If you go into your browser settings you can delete your browsing history after every session on line. I think that should do it, but I'm not an expert. I do it at work when I've been looking at the forum, :rolleyes: and it seems to work.

K x

Moll   

Go to tools at the top in the drop down menu should be internet options click on it and it should bring up a option of browsing history click delete and you need to select history it is also worth clicking tempory internet files as well as this stores a snapshop of every page you visit and can slow your computer down. The others are worth doing once in a while but only if you have the login detalis for each site you use.

History and files should be done every few days to keep your computer running quickly.

history should be done each time you visit somewhere you don't want your family to see.

Enid   

Just tried it again, delted all my history, then put google search on ,pressed A and it gave a list underneath of every site I had ever visited beginning with A!!! Enid

Mumble   
do I need to delete cookies as well?

I can help you with that. :eat: :eat: :eat:

Sorry - not being much help, am I? :unsure::whistle:

Mumble   

Oooh, I typed your question into google...

It seems it's a common query (we won't speculate as to the searches people want to hide :o)

Answer seems to be:

Right Click Internet Explorer > Properties > Content > AutoComplete

And you have to turn auto complete off.

you could also set up user accounts for you and the kids. that way you can also put on internet safety controls on just thier user accounts. Should keep seperate historys for each user too. That way you can have the convienience of autocomplete for words you commonly search and also it can remember your passwords for yourfavourite sites/email, safe in the knowledge that its all protected by the User Account password.

but if you do that, make sure you use a good complex password! if you kids are anything like the little angels in this house, they'll find it great sport trying to hack into your user account, 'just to see what would happen'

Hi all,

When I google something on my laptop the computor shows what has been googled before with the same beginning letter, eg. if I type in re, it comes up with the suggestion of residential schools. now is there anyway I can stop this, we only have the one computor and the kids have to use it in the living room, but I dont want them to know what I have been googling, especially residential schools for DS!!!!!! hope I have made this clear enough. Enid

what version of internet are u using.

if u use mozilla:

click on the tab history,

then go to show all history

click on the internet links

and delete them that way.

the other way is:

close all tabs down

and go to start

programmes,

then look for control panel.

next is click internet options