Sign in to follow this  
Enid

Sharing laptops

Hi all,

When I google something on my laptop the computor shows what has been googled before with the same beginning letter, eg. if I type in re, it comes up with the suggestion of residential schools. now is there anyway I can stop this, we only have the one computor and the kids have to use it in the living room, but I dont want them to know what I have been googling, especially residential schools for DS!!!!!! hope I have made this clear enough. Enid

I know what you mean and I've been wondering how to get rid of these as they come up in our shared computers in college. :unsure:

I think it might be something to do with cookies, but all I know about them is that I like oatmeal and raisin best :eat::eat1::lol:

If you go into your browser settings you can delete your browsing history after every session on line. I think that should do it, but I'm not an expert. I do it at work when I've been looking at the forum, :rolleyes: and it seems to work.

K x

Go to tools at the top in the drop down menu should be internet options click on it and it should bring up a option of browsing history click delete and you need to select history it is also worth clicking tempory internet files as well as this stores a snapshop of every page you visit and can slow your computer down. The others are worth doing once in a while but only if you have the login detalis for each site you use.

History and files should be done every few days to keep your computer running quickly.

history should be done each time you visit somewhere you don't want your family to see.

Just tried it again, delted all my history, then put google search on ,pressed A and it gave a list underneath of every site I had ever visited beginning with A!!! Enid

Oooh, I typed your question into google...

It seems it's a common query (we won't speculate as to the searches people want to hide :o)

Answer seems to be:

Right Click Internet Explorer > Properties > Content > AutoComplete

And you have to turn auto complete off.

you could also set up user accounts for you and the kids. that way you can also put on internet safety controls on just thier user accounts. Should keep seperate historys for each user too. That way you can have the convienience of autocomplete for words you commonly search and also it can remember your passwords for yourfavourite sites/email, safe in the knowledge that its all protected by the User Account password.

but if you do that, make sure you use a good complex password! if you kids are anything like the little angels in this house, they'll find it great sport trying to hack into your user account, 'just to see what would happen'

Hi all,

When I google something on my laptop the computor shows what has been googled before with the same beginning letter, eg. if I type in re, it comes up with the suggestion of residential schools. now is there anyway I can stop this, we only have the one computor and the kids have to use it in the living room, but I dont want them to know what I have been googling, especially residential schools for DS!!!!!! hope I have made this clear enough. Enid

what version of internet are u using.

if u use mozilla:

click on the tab history,

then go to show all history

click on the internet links

and delete them that way.

the other way is:

close all tabs down

and go to start

programmes,

then look for control panel.

next is click internet options