Sign in to follow this  
Sooze2

menatonin not working anymore.

I'm on a roll tonight aren't I, 3 posts in one night!

Anyway, DS is on menatonin. It stopped working a couple of months ago (2mg) and at the last appointment the consultant figured out that the chemists were giving us the wrong type! I was getting soft capsules and they should have been giving me tablets in a blister packet called Circadin melatonin.

These aren't working either!

BUT he has been on Concerta for the last week which can cause - wait for it - sleep problems! :clap:

So is it that the new melatonin tablets aren't working or is it that the concerta is stopping them from working and they would work if it wasn't for the Concerta

Are you still with me?! :lol:

Think I'm going mad!

If the two different types of Melatonin contain the same amount of the active ingredient, they should be as effective as the wrong ones. Different formulations can work at different speeds, especially if you've switched from a slow-release to standard-release (or vice-versa), but they should ultimately result in sleep.

If they stopped working before they were changed or the Concerta added, then it's probably not that which is causing it not to work.

A lot of people find Melatonin doesn't work if used every day. It might be worth asking if it would be good for him to have a short break from the Melatonin, and then start again taking it only on school nights.

I agree with Tally you probably need to give your child a break. I normally gave my child a break from it in the holidays. That way it works better when you do give. We also have to alter the dose.

Sometimes it is very successful with 5mg other times it is not and he needs 10mg. Apparently if 10mg does not work than it will not work at all (this is what my sons consultant said)

Hi

As Tally as mentioned, it's advised that people taken melatonin breaks. My son has been on melatonin for 1.5 years and we've had to take intermittent breaks of a few weeks at a time in order to see reasses things. Thankfully, these short breaks have done the trick.

I'm afraid I don't know the effects that combined medication can have so it would definitely be worth seeking medical advice, but in some instances, melatonin doesn't work. Also, I've noticed that if my son's particularly wound up, has been extremely energetic, or there's been some change to his routine, that this can affect the effectiveness of melatonin.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

Thanks a lot for replying.

He had a break from it a month or so ago when he ran out and I thought I'd experiment to see if he needed it anymore - he couldn't sleep at all for the whole week he went without it!

I'm going to phone the consultant about it now.

He didn't go to sleep untill 3.30 am last night so I had to keep him off school today! We can go on like this - poor little man!

Thanks a lot.

Just a quick update.

I phoned the consultant and she was lovely, she is stopping the Concerta XL and trying Equisim (sp?) instead. She thinks he is having an extreme reaction to the Concerta and the Equisim is the same stuff but only last for 8 hours rather than 10-12. We'll see what happens.

Keep a diary of his sleep pattern, even if he is sleeping in, it maybe he needs a referral to a sleep clinic and have proper assessment to determin the cause of the sleeping problems.

J has a couple a nights free once a fortnight, and he is on between 2-4mg Liquid form, which is much easier to mix in drinks its called Kidnaps.

JsMum