Diane

relationships

OK, I accept that teenage boys do not like to talk about the birds and the bees with their parents and I am happy that my son understands the mating ritual (for the want of a better word) that one goes through for this to take place.

What I am after is a book or resource about relationships that explains things like the reason girls wear short skirts and tops when they go out is not because they drink alcohol and it makes them hot. Is there a book that just talks about how to tell when a girl fancies you and what you can say and what you should not say etc, etc,

I have thought about putting something together myself but just now I would like and easy life so if someone knows of somthing out there that would help please let me know.

Thank you

explains things like the reason girls wear short skirts and tops when they go out is not because they drink alcohol and it makes them hot.

I often wondered about this one myself. Y'see girls out in the middle of winter in material that wouldn't even make a substantial sized belt let alone a skirt, and I always thought how could they not be cold? Me walking on the other side of the road wrapped up in coat and jumper. :wacko:

I would be with you on the other side of the road wrapped up in a warm coat. I will not freeze for the sake of fashion or trying to look attractive. Perhaps i did when i was a teenager but I would rather not remember. I just love to be comfortable and warm these days.

There is a book called The Asperger Love Guide by Edmonds and Worton. I haven't actually read it myself, but I have heard a lot of people recommend it and I think it would cover all the topics you mentioned.

What I am after is a book or resource about relationships that explains things like the reason girls wear short skirts and tops when they go out is not because they drink alcohol and it makes them hot.

Hmm, don't know. If you can recommend somewhere where this happens I suppose I could find time to try and ask them - purely in the name of scientific research of course :whistle:

found following books at amazon, though not sure what they are like to read and whether they will answer your specific question. Perhaps you could have a look at yr local library before investing:

Growing Up on the Spectrum: A Guide to Life, Love, and Learning for Teens and Young Adults with Autism and Asperger's (Hardcover) by Lynn Kern Koegel (Author), Claire Lazebnik (Author)

Hardcover: 400 pages

Publisher: Viking Books (19 Mar 2009)

Language English

ISBN-10: 0670020672

ISBN-13: 978-0670020676

Product Dimensions: 23.5 x 16.1 x 3.5 cm

(on second thoughts you can't loan this book yet as it is not released till mid march, unless you can persuade them to order a copy...)

Social Skills for Teenagers and Adults with Asperger's Syndrome: A Practical Guide to Day-to-day Life (Paperback)

by Nancy J. Patrick (Author) you can look inside this book at the chapter list, part of first chapter and index on amazon. it seems to cover things like relationships, dating etc according to index.

Adolescents on the Autism Spectrum (Paperback)

by Charlotte Moore (Foreword), Chantal Sicile-Kira (Author)

review of book by reader says:

An essential read, highly recommended, 31 Dec 2007

By J. Spencer

I found this book to be enormously helpful. It contains a wealth of resources and strategies which are suitable for individuals of all ability levels on the autistic spectrum. It tackles difficult issues such as sexuality and teen relationships/ dating in a practical, straight forward manner, drawing on the author's personal experience with her son.

Sicile-Kira's advice is positive and pro-active. The information presented is well balanced with supporting evidence/ leads to direct those readers who would like to do more research in to a particular area. Topics covered include: how ASD affects adolescents on the spectrum, family life, sexuality, dating, grooming, personal hygiene, secondary school, preparing for life after secondary school, strategies, treatments and therapies to help adolescents on the autistic spectrum.

The book is also of great benefit to parents and professionals working with children who have not yet reached adolescence (the 9- 12 year olds that Sicile-Kira refers to as `tweens') because it helps highlight the issues to consider and prioritise in terms of teaching new skills for adolescence

regards

D

Hmm, don't know. If you can recommend somewhere where this happens I suppose I could find time to try and ask them - purely in the name of scientific research of course :whistle:

I will see what we can do. Any particular age group in mind. :lol:

Edited by Diane

found following books at amazon, though not sure what they are like to read and whether they will answer your specific question.

Thank you so much for this. I will investigate your suggestions further.

I have been dreading getting to this stage in my sons development. We are only at the very beginning of all of this so to begin with it should not be too difficult.

well let me know how you get on as he yet to hit that stage and I will need some help with it myself, I am sure! Will have to keep details of those books for myself :-)

Just like Flibs I found that one full of insights:

Freaks, Geeks & Asperger Syndrome - A User Guide to Adolescence

by Luke Jackson (2002) published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers, ISBN 1 843 10 098 3

I haven't read the others mentioned above.

the curious dog in the night -time by Mark Haddon not a true story but i found very deep in understanding behind the storyline but once looked past that a really interesting book in understanding more of what AS is and how affects someone this about a aspergers teen boy whos 15 years old gets very confused and lost in communication and language by 'literal' meanings and sayings/ of words and facial expression and what kinda 'sticky' stiuation he gets into and how the general public see him and his world a very good read! so teachers parents have a newly diagnosed pupil/child worth reading up on! and finding out bout researching! and even i found help me more easily accept the diagnosis and the first book i read after having a name of the medical condtion AS baffled me after reading this book 'opened' freely pathways and doors! hope help others like helped me out! the book describes AS within the story!

it best book in our area where i live been voted so that how good it really seems to be knocks down barriers and gives you true facts of reality but cleverly based around a story well written and one my favourite book i've read in long time!

KLX

http://www.autism.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=432

the above shows some books on sale at the NAS bookstore about AS and emplyoment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mental-Health-Aspe...0642&sr=8-1

This is a book for sale at online bookstore, you can actually have a look inside the book at the index etc and a little of the content.

I am sorry I have not read these books, but you may be able to loan them from the library or perhaps from your local NAS branch if you have one and see if they are of any use. Or perhaps someone else on here may have read the books and can post as to whether they have been useful

anyone out there? know any books bout both AS and employment? and AS and MH probs? many thanks KLxXx

what exactky do you want to know ? I can probably answer the mental health issue better than the A/S one ?

Have just read APPRECIATING ASPERGERS BY BRENDA BOYD. It was a great positive read and helped me see how life can be good for my son.

Really refreshing.

I got into trouble when i was a teenager as i called a teen girl "attention seeking" because she had a short skirt etc on. Didnt quite realise to call someone attention seeking is offensive!! :lol: I was right though, just she was after a different kind of attention.

the curious dog in the night -time by Mark Haddon not a true story but i found very deep in understanding behind the storyline but once looked past that a really interesting book in understanding more of what AS is and how affects someone this about a aspergers teen boy whos 15 years old gets very confused and lost in communication and language by 'literal' meanings and sayings/ of words and facial expression and what kinda 'sticky' stiuation he gets into and how the general public see him and his world a very good read! so teachers parents have a newly diagnosed pupil/child worth reading up on! and finding out bout researching! and even i found help me more easily accept the diagnosis and the first book i read after having a name of the medical condtion AS baffled me after reading this book 'opened' freely pathways and doors! hope help others like helped me out! the book describes AS within the story!

it best book in our area where i live been voted so that how good it really seems to be knocks down barriers and gives you true facts of reality but cleverly based around a story well written and one my favourite book i've read in long time!

KLX

Hi

Ditto! Fantastic book that has helped me understand my son a bit better. I used to try and analyse things that he'd do, but the book helped me see that sometimes you cannot apply logic to some situations which may arise.

Caroline.

Hi

Ditto! Fantastic book that has helped me understand my son a bit better. I used to try and analyse things that he'd do, but the book helped me see that sometimes you cannot apply logic to some situations which may arise.

Caroline.

Brilliant book. Our entire family were given a copy each for christmas. The feedback ha been very interesting from those that have read it.

OK, I accept that teenage boys do not like to talk about the birds and the bees with their parents and I am happy that my son understands the mating ritual (for the want of a better word) that one goes through for this to take place.

What I am after is a book or resource about relationships that explains things like the reason girls wear short skirts and tops when they go out is not because they drink alcohol and it makes them hot. Is there a book that just talks about how to tell when a girl fancies you and what you can say and what you should not say etc, etc,

I have thought about putting something together myself but just now I would like and easy life so if someone knows of somthing out there that would help please let me know.

Thank you

not sure i havent read it all yet but i keep reading a book called asperger syndrome and social relationships that might be in there but again may not. i will send u link Aspergers And Social Relationships

Edited by Ihave_unique-autism

anyone out there? know any books about both AS and employment?

Managing with Asperger Syndrome by Malcolm Johnson

Asperger Syndrome Employment Workbook by Roger N Meyer

Business for Aspies by Ashley Stanford

Social Thinking at Work by Michelle Garcia Winner and Pamela Crooke

i wear short skirts but i always wear leggings if there shorter or thick tights but its just like wearing a short dress. i wear them because it makes me feel good and comfortable its not because i fancy anyone. I prefer women but doesnt mean I am going out in a short skirt to get anyone because thats not my intentions.