lisac

flatulence

my son suffers from quite bad wind each day, and it is bothering him. He eats a very well balanced diet and nothing has changed, does any one have any ideas what can cause it? lol , thanks

I've been wondering if it could be due to the way he eats and drinks. He bolts food down with minimal chewing and gulps back drinks, he has always done this. Has anyone heard of this causing flatulence ?

Dr Dr - can you give me something for my wind

Yes - here's a kite...

Sorry, nothing sensible to offer (other than trying to look closely at what he eats and see if there is a 'trigger', which may not be as obvious as it looks) but I couldn't let the opportunity for that end-of-pier/panto classic go by! :lol:

Oh - dairy/lactose is a biggy for wind, along with the obvious ones like beans and pulses, and one of my brothers turns into Johnny Fartpants after eating roast chicken. We think it's down to the sprouts he has with it, but he swears that chicken and chips has the same effect.

Meanwhile, keep a good supply of pegs on hand and get a dog so you can blame that...

(thinks... get a dog; blame that... already has son... hmmmmmmmmmm???)

L&P

BD (who never EVER)...

PULLIT

my son suffers from quite bad wind each day, and it is bothering him. He eats a very well balanced diet and nothing has changed, does any one have any ideas what can cause it? lol , thanks

As a result gulping down lots of air?

Bid :)

Thanks all. Frogslegs, it could well be sress related, hard to tell if stress is the trigger or he gets stressed because he cant stop passing wind. It seems like it gets trapped and he is less anxious once he's been able to pass it. Lovely.

He's always had loose stools ( im sorry) this started at 15 months old, straight after the MMR and has stayed with him since, and it is so frustrating when the medical profession take no notice. On my insistance he was once refered to a stomach clinic at the local hospital,6 years ago, but because he wouldnt allow anyone near him for blood tests, (and in my opinion, no one seems keen to test people with learning disabilities for anything),i was told i was being OTT, and it must be acid relux and irritable bowel. Forgot what i was going to say , but yes i will try the probiotic suggestion as i hav'nt tried this before, thanks Jaded. Ive just had the results back from the Univeristy of Sunderland for the Gluten/ Casein diet testing thingy and he isnt intolerant, waste of sixty pound his support workers tell me, but its not, as i know its not that now. I also sent off a sample to intolerance to food, and this came back that he was intolerant to monk fish and peas, hes never eaten monk fish and rarely eats peas.? Baddad, that has made me :lol: lots of times, im still :lol: ing! Bid yes, it could well be gulping down too much air, am thinking now of ways to try and minimise him doing that, thanks again, x

He's always had loose stools ( im sorry) this started at 15 months old, straight after the MMR and has stayed with him since, and it is so frustrating when the medical profession take no notice. On my insistance he was once refered to a stomach clinic at the local hospital,6 years ago, but because he wouldnt allow anyone near him for blood tests, (and in my opinion, no one seems keen to test people with learning disabilities for anything),i was told i was being OTT, and it must be acid relux and irritable bowel.

It could be that he has the wrong mix of bacteria in his gut, maybe worth looking into. :tearful:

Gluten and milk caused my flatulence also eggs or items with lots of carbon dioxide in them.

Also probiotics helped with this but not the milk derived ones, they made it worse!

I have this, as part of IBS, dairy products make it worse. Try and find triggers by writing a food diary and noting when he farts most.

At one point I took charcoal tablets and they did help. I have recently been diagnosed with gallstones, and apparently one of the symptoms is lots of wind.

Edited by peaches

Brassicas do it for me .. :unsure: sprouts, cauliflower and cabbage....... and unfortunately anything with yeast and sugar like doughnuts or hot cross buns have an unfortunate effect. I was tested and confirmed with IBS many years ago and was recommended charcoal tablets. Also, japanese peppermint tablets are very good (from health food shops).

Thanks all. Frogslegs, it could well be sress related, hard to tell if stress is the trigger or he gets stressed because he cant stop passing wind. It seems like it gets trapped and he is less anxious once he's been able to pass it. Lovely.

He's always had loose stools ( im sorry) this started at 15 months old, straight after the MMR and has stayed with him since, and it is so frustrating when the medical profession take no notice. On my insistance he was once refered to a stomach clinic at the local hospital,6 years ago, but because he wouldnt allow anyone near him for blood tests, (and in my opinion, no one seems keen to test people with learning disabilities for anything),i was told i was being OTT, and it must be acid relux and irritable bowel. Forgot what i was going to say , but yes i will try the probiotic suggestion as i hav'nt tried this before, thanks Jaded. Ive just had the results back from the Univeristy of Sunderland for the Gluten/ Casein diet testing thingy and he isnt intolerant, waste of sixty pound his support workers tell me, but its not, as i know its not that now. I also sent off a sample to intolerance to food, and this came back that he was intolerant to monk fish and peas, hes never eaten monk fish and rarely eats peas.? Baddad, that has made me :lol: lots of times, im still :lol: ing! Bid yes, it could well be gulping down too much air, am thinking now of ways to try and minimise him doing that, thanks again, x

It's interesting you had a negative reply from Sunderland as my son's came back positive for both and his consultant paediatrician said she had never heard of anyone's results being negative - so at least you've proved a point to me at least. Having said that, my son is on dairy (goats milk), and eats bread. He is also very windy. I've no real answers. It is just very frustrating when you 'feel' something is not right, but because it is all so vague, and there is no specific testing to get any definately answers you are left in limbo. I have noticed a difference in my son since moving him onto goats milk only. But I didn't notice any real big difference with GF/CF, apart from the fact that he lost a significant amount of weight, which he needed to do.

Hello

i notice i pass wind a lot when i need to use the bathroom. If its upper wind then im hungry, down below wind is need to do a poo. Body awareness of when we need to use the bathroom can be very poor in autistics.

i didnt pay for the test, the only real test is to trial it for a year that means no oats or malt either. Also i found it was much better after going msg and aspartame free as well. Many parents on the American gf/cf recipes (which is more of a bazaar as its so popular) agree with this mentality.

What about probiotics for the flatulence? Or keeping a food diary for a few days so you can see what might be causing the flatulence.

Alexis