suz

Risperidone for adults with ASD??

Hi

I've noticed that there are a lot of posts around here regarding the use of Risperidone as a treatment for children with ASD's, I was just curious whether anyone uses this as a treatment for themselves as an adult, or knows anybody who does? I have been taking it as a treatment for personality disorder for quite a few years, but am now looking into the possiblity that I may have AS and wondered if Risperidone is used for ASD's in adulthood, or if it's just in children? Any info or advice much appreciated... thanx! :thumbs:

Suz

I remember being on that medication it isnt to treat ASD it is to do with the anxiety side. to be honest i dont like being put on medication because most of my anxiety is to do with me not understanding what people are saying so i take things personally which is something to with my communication

Hi

Medication is something that CAMHS are looking at for my son. I was advised that Risperidrone and Prozac (that's being lookeda t for my son) is also used to treat adults with Bipolar and Schizophrenia. It can also be used for children. It's apparently a mood stabiliser which helps reduce anxiety.

Caroline.

Risperidone is classified as an antipsychotic, but is used for many other conditions including depression, bipolarism and anxiety. It can have side effects as well, and many people find the side effects outweight the benefits.

It can be used for adults as well as children.

i was on this exact meds when i was around 15-16 didn't work for me but can work for others some mates i speak t are on it for anger,MH probs depression,self-harm,suicidal urges/voices! i had side effect of high hormone level proctalin which means i produce breast milk which no one at CAMHS informed me off!

hope it works though for your child!

good luck

XmeX

Hi

I've noticed that there are a lot of posts around here regarding the use of Risperidone as a treatment for children with ASD's, I was just curious whether anyone uses this as a treatment for themselves as an adult, or knows anybody who does? I have been taking it as a treatment for personality disorder for quite a few years, but am now looking into the possiblity that I may have AS and wondered if Risperidone is used for ASD's in adulthood, or if it's just in children? Any info or advice much appreciated... thanx! :thumbs:

Suz

i know that risperidone is an anti-psychotic and can treat people who have psychosis, depression and anxiety, but havent heard that you can use it for personality disorder. risperidone can be used in adults and children.

If you goole "abilify" (trade name) for this medication.

it's riddled with side-effects.

nobody knows it's long-term effects on the brain.

Use of prozac long-term also is known to pose a lot of risks like psychosis, organic issues (contact Mind for their side-effects on drugs).

medication on children with young brain with psychiatric drugs, is quite questionable.

Risperidone is classified as an antipsychotic, but is used for many other conditions including depression, bipolarism and anxiety. It can have side effects as well, and many people find the side effects outweight the benefits.

It can be used for adults as well as children.

i happen to be one of those people, nearly lost my mind on it.

i had been put on that may time this year ago and they took me off due to the side affects any way it was because of the things in my head i hear nothing to do with a personality disorder that i also have