Sign in to follow this  
gemgems77

holiday

we have applied to the family grant fund for a holiday ,we applied in may but have been told it can take up to 5 months .this would bring us to winter .they told us we could have thomas cook vouchers for holiday ,me and hubby are considering to go abroad but are worried how ds would be ,he was bad enough going to centre parks last yr did not cope at all ,but we are desperate for a hol ,got any tips for flying ?how were your kids etc..... places that you would recomend ds is 5 ..all help would be much appreciated... :thumbs:

if flying is a problem how about using the vouchers to pay for a real nice hotel in france with lots of kids stuff, and then pay for travel there on your own - channel tunnel, ferry etc are car-based so might be easier as it will be more familiar

thankyou nellie site was very helpfull ,the only reason we was thinking of going abroad was because of the time of yr ,as it would be warmer in winter overseas .my sister has offered to come and help with the kids but IF we did go it would be a short flight and have to be some were very english as ds is also fussy with food

We don't live in the UK but have recently had a holiday in the UK at Center Parcs which worked out very well. The weather was not great but that doesn't matter for the indoor activities like the pool etc. Also DD1 (13 AS/ADHD) could choose what she wanted to join in with and we could choose to eat in/eat out - so while her sister did some of the other activities - DD1 was not forced to do them.

If you don't think that your child would cope with flying perhaps somewhere accessible by ferry/car would be a better option as at least you can walk around and play games

Hi

You could also look at Sunparks in Belgium. We have had loads of great holidays there (De Haan) is the nicest - cheaper than Centreparcs but same kind of thing except you are right on the coast and can get the tram up and down the Belgian coast, lots of lovely towns and lots to do! We used to go in October half term and have even paddled in the sea at that time. If you want any more info please pm me.

Stella xx

I take DS to see my sister & nephew in Ireland when I can find the money. the Gameboy is DS's saviour when it comes to flying - he can spend hours on it and will accept waiting in the airport if he has his nose buried in a good game :rolleyes: He still doesn't cope well with the takeoff/landing, but the flight inbetween is usually OK. I pity the poor person who has to sit next to us, but c'est la vie!

But TBH, family fund will completely cover the cost of a Haven holiday which sounds a better bet to me (we will be applying for that next year hopefully, as this year's grant was used up on other stuff), and centrparcs are supposed to be great too. I don't bother with foreign holidays, even if I could afford them I doubt it would be worth it. there is so much in the UK that is worth doing :thumbs:

Parks, fairs, zoos, all no-nos with my lad ! he reacts badly to noise or lots of people around... the LAST place we would consider is the 3 areas mentioned... I think a totally remote beach (Without sand because he doesn't like to feel that under his feet !), would be ideal :wallbash:

My lad can cope with flying but not the airport if that makes sense....we find a quiet spot n he has his earphones on with music playing.

But tbh id be inclined to go for either Haven or Centre Parks cos then you have the choice of stuff there but dont have to do it if that makes sense.

thankyou for all your replys :notworthy: ,we took ds to a park at the weekend ,when we turned up there was a bouny castle some game stools etc (we didnt know they would be there) ds wansnt worried at first because we headed straight for the steam train thats open on a sunday ,loves trains ,and brought him a few thomas items that were there so he was a happy boy ,but when we went to the main park he had a big meltdown over a drink ,he wanted one in a orange bottle but they didnt have one .he was screaming kicking me etc you know the routine ,and of course had several pepole in the park telling him to behave for me ,which got me upset .he didnt settle so we went home ,just made me realise that even going to a park can be a trama ,so i think we will def be staying in this country ,at least if things get too bad we can just come home , :rolleyes:

The good thing with like centre parks is if the British weather lets you lol you can go for a walk or bike ride if your child can ride in the woods n there's not so many 'well meaning' people there(does my head in when they 'try to help').