• Announcements

• Kris

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team
Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Windows Movie Maker

Mumble   

Does anyone have any experience of Windows Movie Maker and can anyone help me before my laptop does a poor impression of an aeroplane outta the window :o

It keeps crashing on me: if I move something it crashes, if I adjust an effect it crashes, if I try to save it it crashes, I swear it's got it in for me!!! (it's just the programme - I can go through task manager to close it)

I typed WMM keeps crashing into Google and brought up hundreds of hits so clearly this is a common problem. However, most of the fixes I didn't have a clue about - they kept going on about codec :huh: - never heard of it (although I did assume it came with a coant :whistle:). I found one fix on you tube which I could follow with a download, but I'm just not sure. There's no way of verifying it and if it is dodgy and kills my laptop I'll be in serious trouble as I'm not supposed to download anything.

Does anyone know of any common reason this might happen - I wondered if I was confusing it because it started off fine, it's as I've added lots more clips, transitions and text to my movie it's started to complain? I've tried restarting my computer as I did have lots of programmes running and just using WMM but the same thing still happens. :(

Is there another programme I can use that does that same thing that doesn't crash and is simpler to use?

Any help gratefully received :)

baddad   

Hi mumble - I think WMM has always been a bit 'buggy' and a bit processor heavy. I've never actually used it, but part of the reason why is becaiuse i heard all those things befor i ever tried!

If you want to do some serious editing and you have a fairly fast machine adobe premier elements has a good reputation. Cheaper (and IMO less processor heavy/easier) is magix Movie edit (probably now called something completely different - I haven't done any movie editing for years)...

Magix always used to offer a demo version so you could 'try before you buy', but you could probably find an older version (just make sure it's vista compatable if you are running vista) dirt cheap on amazon or somewhere second hand...

Hope that's helpful

L&P

BD :D

Mumble   
Hi mumble - I think WMM has always been a bit 'buggy' and a bit processor heavy. I've never actually used it, but part of the reason why is becaiuse i heard all those things befor i ever tried!

If you want to do some serious editing and you have a fairly fast machine adobe premier elements has a good reputation. Cheaper (and IMO less processor heavy/easier) is magix Movie edit (probably now called something completely different - I haven't done any movie editing for years)...

Magix always used to offer a demo version so you could 'try before you buy', but you could probably find an older version (just make sure it's vista compatable if you are running vista) dirt cheap on amazon or somewhere second hand...

Hope that's helpful

Thanks BD, I'll look into those others see what I can get second hand, because WMM is just irritating (even when it's not crashing, for instance, if you change your mind and insert or make longer a clip, it doesn't change any text overlay times so everything is out of sync :wallbash:)

I downloaded one trial programme (Videopad) which seems good but because it's a trial you get a watermark stuck across your video - it's OK for what I need at the moment, but even with the WMM flaws I'm actually quite enjoying it and would like to try a proper programme.

Thanks for your help :)