Sign in to follow this  
jessie

obsessive thoughts

I wrote a while back about my son having obsessive thought regarding him being the only real person in the world. It made him feel very frightened and alone and he couldn't cope with school for a week.He also be came very withdrawn. Well he finally had his hospital appointment today and the psychatrist explained how it was an obsessive thought and gave himstrategies to deal with it. He has a follow up next week. She did mention meds (have to find out what they are...SSRi I think, will have to check out what they would be). he has been better over the past few weeks but still gets times when the thoughts take over. He seemed just happy to have the appointment and said that he fely comforted by the fact that meds were available to help if things don't ompltely improve. Wonder if anyone has any info on the drugs they might prescribee. I am hoping that he won't have to go down this route as hr had side effects while on ritalin and later on straterra. AT least he is more hisnormal , awful, teenage self and not withdrawn anymore.

I wrote a while back about my son having obsessive thought regarding him being the only real person in the world. It made him feel very frightened and alone and he couldn't cope with school for a week.He also be came very withdrawn. Well he finally had his hospital appointment today and the psychatrist explained how it was an obsessive thought and gave himstrategies to deal with it. He has a follow up next week. She did mention meds (have to find out what they are...SSRi I think, will have to check out what they would be). he has been better over the past few weeks but still gets times when the thoughts take over. He seemed just happy to have the appointment and said that he fely comforted by the fact that meds were available to help if things don't ompltely improve. Wonder if anyone has any info on the drugs they might prescribee. I am hoping that he won't have to go down this route as hr had side effects while on ritalin and later on straterra. AT least he is more hisnormal , awful, teenage self and not withdrawn anymore.

oops, you would think I would have the hang of this by now. I have just been reading about straterra tand wondered if itmight be classed as an SSRI. My son took this drug for a few years. The report I read noted the various side effects which included thought disoreders. I am now wondering f my sons current state of mind could be realated to taking straterra. has anyone had any similar experiences.

Hi Jessie,

SSRI's are a class of antidepressants. Strattera is not an SSRI, but I don't know much else about it, apart from its use to control some ADHD symptoms.

If you go into the medication part of the forum you should find quite a few threads on strattera.

K x

Obsessive thoughts are relatively common for people with an asd. The usual medication used is fluoxetine (Prozac) which is an SSRI and can work well. I'm pretty certain that Strattera is not an SSRI and have not heard of it causing obsessions -I would think it far more likely that it is a comorbid condition of the asd.

Talk to your psychiatrist if you are worried and I'm sure they'll put your mind at rest.

You could ask about cognitive behaviour therapy as well, as this can also help with obsessive thoughts, which I well know can be extremely distressing.