Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

Does anybody still use Internet Explorer 6

How many people here still use Internet Explorer 6?

Not me, but a number of the really annoying students I have to share computers with in the research room do and they keep changing back to it even when the technicians have upgraded - I can't work with the different systems and it really agrivates me when I find the systems have been changed again. :wallbash: :wallbash:

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm involved in some website design projects. There was a dilemma at the outset whether it was worth spending extra time and effort implementing code hacks to make the websites compatible with IE6. The decision has been made not to bother supporting IE6. I'm convinced that around 3 out of 4 computers that still run IE6 are in large businesses and public sector institutions that run Windows XP and can't be bothered to upgrade because IE6 works fine with the corporate intranet. I have encountered a few people who still use IE6 at work but only one person who uses it at home - and it's on their old computer that they keep as a spare.

Well, now I know the correct answer is "no", I'll answer ... "no". ;) I'm on IE8 ... and, as you say, I expect most residential users are, simply because Microsoft nags everyone to upgrade Internet Explorer via Windows Update as soon as a new version comes out.

James

I am using IE 9, it appears to be a very good browser. I have found it to be compatible with all websites I have visited in the past and it is much quicker than older versions. I used to use Safari/WebKit Nightly. At school some of the computers still have IE6 but most are now upgraded to IE8.