Sign in to follow this  
KezT

Location Location Location - new sub-forum?

Got this on another forum I use - a sub -forum where members can post which geographic location they are from (so, London, South East, South, Midlands etc). I think we pretty much based it on TV regions LOL.

Nice to know who is local-ish, and good for arranging meets etc....

anyone fancy the idea?

Yes! :D But I fear we may be alone in this desire, since I'm the only one to have responded in over 4 days! :rolleyes:

Mind you, just by looking at our respective locations on our little left-hand-side profiles, I see we share the same county. :)

James

Since some people set the location item in their profiles and some don't, perhaps it's just down to privacy? Presumably anybody who doesn't mind does set that item and those who do mind don't.

Maybe I'm a bit dense on this, but given that, what would a forum thread give us that the location setting displayed in the sidebar wouldn't?

Since some people set the location item in their profiles and some don't, perhaps it's just down to privacy? Presumably anybody who doesn't mind does set that item and those who do mind don't.

Maybe I'm a bit dense on this, but given that, what would a forum thread give us that the location setting displayed in the sidebar wouldn't?

Because 1) I am too lazy to go through every single person on the forum reading their profile bar and 2) a thread would be there to refer to any number of times, and for people to add on to whenever they wanted to. Meets could either be organised there or by pm the members from there. Also useful for localised info queries (ie: LEA info or groups etc)

It would still not be compulsory to post in your location thread, so if you want to stay hidden you could - tho not sure why.

Because 1) I am too lazy to go through every single person on the forum reading their profile bar and 2) a thread would be there to refer to any number of times, and for people to add on to whenever they wanted to. Meets could either be organised there or by pm the members from there. Also useful for localised info queries (ie: LEA info or groups etc

Sounds cool, I'd go for it.

How did it work, did people just make a dummy thread in the forum titled Username - TV Region or something like that?

Presumably a mod is needed to create a subforum.

Yeah, a mod made a separate sub-forum and in there were threads for each region and members posted "I live here" in the relevant thread or "lets meet on x date" etc. I would put a link in, but obviously it is members only LOL

It doesnt sound like there is enough interest for a Sub-forum but there have been some "Where is everybody from" threads ove the years so is probably worth starting one in the 'Meet and Greet' forum and see who responds, especially as we have had loads of new members since the last one.

If there is sufficient interest it can be 'pinned' so it stays at the top as lomg as I can work out how to do it!.

Simon