Sign in to follow this  
bid

Swine Flu Vaccination

Has anyone here let their children have the swine flu vaccination yet?

My three younger ones are all due to have it as they have asthma.

However, I had mine at work on Thursday and TBH it's been really awful :( My arm is really swollen and sooo painful, my arm pit and collar bone on that side are painful too. In desperation last night I took some codeine left over from when Meg had her accident, but it really didn't touch the pain :(

I feel really wary now of letting the children go ahead with this vax. Any experiences please?

Bid :(

This isn't going to help, but my friend's daughter is in hospital after a possible allergic reaction and as you know another friend of mine's daughter passed away from swine flu. My mother had the jab no problems - she has pulmonary fibrosis and emphasima (however you spell it).

I reckon we've all had flu here so the vaccine is not needed.

I had it at work because we have a confirmed outbreak and all our pupils and students are extremely vulnerable. For the last couple of weeks there was a respiratory virus in the adult end, with some service users ending up in intensive care, etc...not sure if this has now been confirmed as SF or whether the SF now being talked about is a separate outbreak.

Anyway, I felt I should be responsible and have the vax...but it's really difficult to decide what's best for my children. Big A had probable SF earlier in the year and he was pretty unwell as he ended up with a chest infection because of his asthma.

Ho hum :unsure: Two youngest have to go to hospital to have a special egg-free version, so more hassle :(

Bid :unsure:

I'm not a parent and I don't know what it feels like having to make these decisions for your children, but from my perspective, particularly where there is an underlying potentially dangerous health implication such as asthma, a few days of soreness/pain has to outweigh the potential life-threatening implications of SF. For me, I was very keen to have it, as I could cross the worry of getting SF and associated complications off my list of worries.

I had to have two full adult doses of the vax as I'm immnosuppresssed although I've been lucky in that I didn't have too much of a reaction other than a nasty but short term headache and tenderness where I was injected, and as long as I didn't lie on it or idiotic commuters didn't walk straight into it (:angry:) it was OK.

Hello All

I would like to add that my 9yr old daughter had the sf vaccination at school at the end of November. All parents were given the choice by signing a letter on whether they wanted their child to have the vaccine or not.

My daughter attends a special needs school, and a number of the children there also have health issues, alongside autism.

I must admit I was unsure whether to let my child have the vaccine at first, so took the advice of the gp and the consultant for her epilepsy, who both agreed it would be better that she have the vaccine.

Sian was only given the first dose in November and was supposed to have a further dose 2 weeks later, for some reason this was no longer necessary, as a letter was sent home to parents from the school nurse, stating this.

After about one week of her having the sf vaccination sian did come down with a temperature and was'nt very well, she also had a breakthough seizure as her temperature was very high, but I suppose this was no different from her having the normal cough and cold virus with a temperature, I just gave her the usual calpol and nurofen and lots to drink and after about a week, she was fine again.

So I suppose all I can really say is at the end of the day its your decision, you can only do what you feel is best for your children.

Take care

Julie :D

Bit late to this, but...due to immunosuppression I've only had the first part of the vaccine so far, my arms did ache, the first night was the worst...also had achy neck, headache and nausea, for me the generally feeling not well only lasted a few days. I took paracetamol and that worked for me. Dd2 had the vaccine and just had a painful arm for a few days with a bit of nausea on the first day. Dd1 is due to have the first part of the egg free vaccine the first week in January... :robbie: