JeanneA

Vitamins

What do you think of giving vitamins to your special needs child? I have never done this but since Glen has been ill for sometime I was wondering if he should be taking some kind of vitamins to help his immune system. Would love your thoughts on this, are they a good idea, or is it a waste of time?

I always used to give my lad a vitamin tablet, just for peace of mind really to make sure he was getting everything he needed. It can't hurt, unless they're given in excess.

~ Mel ~

Hi, which vitamin would you recommend as I haven't a clue which is best, Glen is nearly 16 so does he come under adult vitamins as apposed to child?

He would probably need an adult dose, I'd suspect. It depends on whether he'd be able to take tablets or not. My lad can't take tablets, he used to have the chewy ones, these are generally children's tablets though. You might be able to get it in liquid form, if he'd cope better with that. I just used to give my lad supermarket own brand vits, they had iron as well, I seem to remember. They were orange flavoured and he could chew them up. Even if your lad had a child's dose it would be better than nothing, I think they go up to age 12 or so.

~ Mel ~

Hello

i think b12 is good for cognition, i take the lollipops or the tablets (methocobalim is the best type).

Even if your kid/you can still talk it can help especially with dyslexia as well.

b6 i find helps with anxiety and anger type depression and also allows magnesium to work (a lack

of this vitamin can cause b6-induced magnesium deficiency which ive had).

b50 supplements taken 3 or 4 times per day (one with each meal) are excellent for mood enhancing.

i tend to get scaly skin due to lack of vitamin e (especially as im gluten/dairy free).

IME vitamins and minerals have helped me a lot with certain negative autistic behaviours.

Alexis

He would probably need an adult dose, I'd suspect. It depends on whether he'd be able to take tablets or not. My lad can't take tablets, he used to have the chewy ones, these are generally children's tablets though. You might be able to get it in liquid form, if he'd cope better with that. I just used to give my lad supermarket own brand vits, they had iron as well, I seem to remember. They were orange flavoured and he could chew them up. Even if your lad had a child's dose it would be better than nothing, I think they go up to age 12 or so.

~ Mel ~

i would recommend getting a copper free version especially if your kid has a poor appetite (which would indicate high copper in his system and low zinc).

i take selenium ACE for my main antioxidants and i have felt better since i started taking these.

we give all the kids vitamins - DS has really taken to them and never misses a day;) They have the kids chewy ones. DH takes them too to try to counteract some of the nasty side effects of some of his medication - he has soluble ones that make a nice orange drink.

we give k liquid vitamin stuff, but only after she has been ill to boost her back up. she gets a reasonably mixed diet and doesn't need them every day, they can be very bad for you in excess. we do however give her omega 3 every day the chewy capsule kind as we know she doesn't get much of this in her diet and at her age its important for brain development. i would be very wary of giving him lots of different singular vitamins, as they tend to all be 100% RDA and he will already be getting him some naturally leading to an overdose which makes extra work for the kidneys/liver. you'd be better off giving him a childs vitamin as although this would be a reduced dose it is more than likely enough to top up what he already has.

Hi Jeanne, I've recentley started my son on Vitabiotics Feroglobin B12...It comes in liquid form...I read somewere that the B vitamins are good for cognitive function...and its actually helped people with mental health issues...So I'm giving it a go and see if it makes any difference with my sons brain function...If he starts to get A's on his schoolwork soon I'll let you know;)p....but seriously I think they're worth a try...I give him a small handful of nuts and dried fruit too ( when i can remember:) I have noticed that when he took them on a regular basis he became calmer and more relaxed in himself...maintaining it is the problem ( also that your child isn't allegic to nuts)...children can get very bored with one kind of food product and you have to find different ways of encorporating these things into their every day diet...How are you doing by the way, is Glen coming home soon?...x

Edited by karmadestiny

Hello ,

Iast 3 weeks ago I had done Nose Right surgery and my doctor has consult me that you have eat all Vitamins and supplements foods.

There are lots of benefit provided and help to aviod your nose surgery stretches . :police:

NoseRight Reviews