Sign in to follow this  
Tyndie

Atomoxetine and Aspergers

Hi,

I was reading up on adhd medications and if they might be useful for aspergers and found some info on Atomoxetine, I was wondering if this could be used to help with asperger syndrome, or is totally not appropriate?

Personally this is one of the drugs I stayed well clear of for Treating Js ADHD, from the research I read it took a long time to work, upto 3 months, its not a stilulant, but an Anti D, and it has been in the media because of links of Suicide so I would be very reluctant to use it for ADHD never mind Aspergers unless he has a co morbid of AS and ADHD together but I would look into other alternative medications before selecting this one. The UK name for this medicine is Straterra.

JsMumxxx

Edited by JsMum

Hi,

I haven't been on for a while I have been too busy riding the rollercaoster of life!!!

My DD is now in a 52 week placement and has been to see private phsyciatrist who according to DD thinks she has add or some kind of adhd and she has been on this drug now for a few months, I know nothing of it, and she seems to have taken a step backwards, they have also had to increase her risperdone and she now has 6mg through the day, the person she see's also thinks she doesn't have AS according to DD ...all a bit mad really!!

but thie response you posted about this drug makes me wonder if her self harming is worse due to the drug!