justine1

Excema

Hi

I used to suffer really bad excema as a child but havent had it for years.My eldest son gets a flare up when he is stressed and I think that is my problem right now.

I have really bad excema on my arms,its caused a few large scabs from scratching,trying my best now to really :unsure:

My question is can I use anything natural or over the counter for this?

I hate going to the GP.While its bad its not that inflammed and not driving me crazy enough to go to GP,but it is uncomfortable.

Thanks

Edited by justine1

I have quite severe eczema as I'm very atopic. Personally, I would advise seeing the GP; it can take a while to get it sorted but if well treated (and I suppose that is down to having a GP who takes it seriously) it can dramatically improve your quality of life. I have a problem in that I'm allergic to many of the creams available :rolleyes: so we had to work through trying various ones. I now have an emollient cream I use several times daily (DiproBase - I don't know if you can get it over the counter as I have it on prescription) - and keep it in the fridge for bad days - really soothing :thumbs: - and a steroid cream for flare-ups (but I don't need this often now I've got into a good moisturising regime), plus I also take an antihistamine daily which seems to help keep the eczema flare-ups down too.

Hi

I've always found a well-known brand of nappy rash cream works wonders. Avoid wearing synthetic fibres and try and stick to wearing cotton. You can buy emollient soap, shower gel, etc and that can help too. I know you don't want to go to your GP, but in cases where the eczema is widespread and so it's just not possible to cake yourself in cream, UVB treatment can be offered. It's a bit like a sunbed I guess, but different rays (sunbeds should be avoided) and can clear it up nicely.

Try the nappy rash cream first - that should make you more comfortable!

Caroline.

Thank you mumble >:D<<'> Thanks also for correcting my poor spelling :shame:

I think I will go to the GP.I am quite good with the moisterising as I do have very dry skin anyway but I believe this is down to stress so need something to clear it up.

I believe this is down to stress

That'll do it every time :lol: In fact, I was talking to my GP today about the impact of stress on medical conditions and the vicious circle it gets you into. Easy to recognise/have it pointed out to you, much harder to treat. >:D<<'>

One other thing - when mine isn't controlled, I scratch myself to death overnight whilst asleep (not literally, but enough to cause it to bleed and make things a whole lot worse). Socks over your hands (for a cheap option provided you don't forget you've got them on :rolleyes::lol:) or cotton gloves help with this, as does keeping the finger nails really really short so you can't do so much damage.

Tea tree oil products are meant to be good. They can also help with dandruff.

i got a prescribed body lotion and used it for 3 weeks, eczema went away after that.

Alexis