Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Ripping DVDs

Can someone tell me how to rip DVDs (as in films) onto my computer please? I'm sure I must be missing something obvious. :rolleyes: I know how to and can successfully rip music CDs.

I want to be able to have them digitally so when I get (or rather get round to being organised to get :lol:) a netbook I can put a few on there (they don't have DVD drives, hence the need to transfer digitally - either via an external DVD drive or first onto my laptop then across) so I can watch films on it.

Can someone tell me how to rip DVDs (as in films) onto my computer please? I'm sure I must be missing something obvious. :rolleyes: I know how to and can successfully rip music CDs.

I want to be able to have them digitally so when I get (or rather get round to being organised to get :lol:) a netbook I can put a few on there (they don't have DVD drives, hence the need to transfer digitally - either via an external DVD drive or first onto my laptop then across) so I can watch films on it.

Hi mumble -

It depends what you mean by DVD's...

If you mean home movies or DVD's you've recorded from TV etc then you should be able to do it using your CD burning software - just changing the settings to DVD rather than CD...

If you mean commercial movies on DVD they are copy protected, and while the law's a bit vague (it's generally accepted now, i think, that you can legally 'back-up' any title you own and retain the original of but that's about it) you can get software that does it but standard commercial programmes (like nero, or windows media player if that's what you use for music ripping) won't.

Hope that's helpful

L&P

BD

Hi mumble -

It depends what you mean by DVD's...

If you mean home movies or DVD's you've recorded from TV etc then you should be able to do it using your CD burning software - just changing the settings to DVD rather than CD...

If you mean commercial movies on DVD they are copy protected, and while the law's a bit vague (it's generally accepted now, i think, that you can legally 'back-up' any title you own and retain the original of but that's about it) you can get software that does it but standard commercial programmes (like nero, or windows media player if that's what you use for music ripping) won't.

I mean ones I have bought from the shop. I'm not advanced enough for that recording stuff, I still have a video player for them... :lol:

Where do I get the software from - is it something I can buy from a computer type shop? :unsure:

When you are buying a DVD (or CD) part of what you're actually paying for is the license to use them for your own personal use. It's quite legal to make as many copies as you like for your own personal use.

If you've got a Mac, Handbreak is good for the job. If you have a PC, just do some Googling.

As for legality - technically, it's unlawful (not illegal, unlawful, because it's a civil offense, not criminal) to even import your CDs in iTunes, but no one's kicked up a fuss about it because no one really cares. The entertainment industry is too busy creating a fuss about how evil BitTorrent (which was created by an Aspie, BTW) is instead, never mind that "pirates" buy more music, eh?

However, I'll just tell you to only rip non-copyrighted content and trust you to keep to it... Then we're all happy ;)

Edited by AutisticMillionaire