Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Natural Sedation

Does anyone know of anything I can take that works as a natural sedative? I've got to go for an urgent scan on Monday - this has only been arranged today so no chance to discuss my 'issues' :wacko: which means I've got to find a way of coping as best as I can. I had an MRI fairly recently and it really freaked me out - the noise in particular (and the awful 'music' they thought someone my age would want to listen to to cover up the noise... :rolleyes:) and being enclosed. I was shaking so much they couldn't get clear pictures. Any ideas for anything that might help me be a little calmer during the scan would be really appreciated.

Does anyone know of anything I can take that works as a natural sedative? I've got to go for an urgent scan on Monday - this has only been arranged today so no chance to discuss my 'issues' :wacko: which means I've got to find a way of coping as best as I can. I had an MRI fairly recently and it really freaked me out - the noise in particular (and the awful 'music' they thought someone my age would want to listen to to cover up the noise... :rolleyes:) and being enclosed. I was shaking so much they couldn't get clear pictures. Any ideas for anything that might help me be a little calmer during the scan would be really appreciated.

Kalms are quite good, you can get them in Boots and most other chemists. Also, what about taking your own music? Are you allowed to do that? I know how loud and disconcerting those machines are and I wasn't even in it, was just in the room holding my daughters hand whilst she had an MRI done. Good luck with it.

Lynne x

Kalms are quite good, you can get them in Boots and most other chemists. Also, what about taking your own music? Are you allowed to do that?

Thanks :thumbs: Unfortunately the pharmacist advised against me taking anything over the counter even something natural based because I'm on so many other meds some of which have a sedative side effect anyway. They said to talk to my GP but as the test is first thing Monday, this won't be possible. :tearful: I'll take my own music but I don't know if it's allowed or not - the letter doesn't say anything.

Hi

Is it possible you could phone NHS24 or your out-of-hours GP for advice since you're on other medication?

Best of luck.

Caroline.

Abasloutly recommend VALERIAN this is a Nervous system calming herb, its Brilliant and the side effect is Sleepyness!

JsMumxx

I think lavender is supposed to have a calming effect? I guess it only works if you actually like the smell though!

Hope all goes OK tomorrow, thinking of you

>:D<<'>

K x

I think lavender is supposed to have a calming effect? I guess it only works if you actually like the smell though!

Hope all goes OK tomorrow, thinking of you

>:D<<'>

K x

I got Lavender mist from the expensive shop for bodies (:whistle:) as I had a gift voucher left from Christmas and I love their stuff. :) Probably just a placebo effect but that and my music really helped, plus my nurse had filled them in with a bit of info about how best to handle stuff with me :thumbs:, and because I was first there was no waiting time in which to get stressed out - I was taken straight in.

One down, two to go, but the others I think are more like X-ray type machines which are easier to cope with.

Glad it worked and that it wasn't as bad as you expected. :thumbs:

Edited to add: I keep reading your thread title as "natural selection". :D

K x

Edited by Kathryn