Sign in to follow this  
mum232010

piriton/antihistamines for son from dr??

hi all,

we were given some strong post op sedative type medicine last summer for my son age 5, as he wasnt sleeping well atnight, no matter how tired he was his body/brain just wouldnt shut down, he would be awake until about 10pm rocking and singing in his bed, then up about midnight for a few more hours doing the same then he would be up about 5 for the day, but then tired during the day and again his body etc would allow him to relax when he was tured, so he would be harder to deal with at school.

problem was it STILL did no difference so they swapped it for a strong travel sickness medicine, again didnt work.

then a few months ago they put him on a strong antihistamine, and this however seams to work, he was given it at bedtime, and slept like a log for a good 10 hours, and was slightly more easier during the day, then advised to give it mornigs too, but lately with everything that has gone on with school/temper etc we went back to drs last week desperate for anything they could do to help, and we were advised to give him the same med' for 3 times a day and told to go back in a week, ashe said he will have good news for us, but he couldnt tell us then as we had to try this for another week. he is the peaditric dr and he is brilliant.

well, 3 times a day, no difference, he still wont sit for longetr than 3 mins if that and always on the go doing something,m then comes the anger etc cause all he wants to do is chill out but only seam to be able to in bed on a night.

anyone been given simillar meds' before? i wonder what the news is he is giving us? we mentioned ritalin, which i have heard mixed results about, from wiki' forums and general research, the worst is it can change your child in to a zombie, which i dont want!! then again some people have had brilliant results, he said this CAN be given whilst waiting for a diagnosis as we have years of evidence of ASD problems, just awaiting the panel for asd

any advice would be brilliant thanks xxx

Hmm, antihistamine's aren't really supposed to be used as a sleeping aid, but it is something that doctors increasingly do these days. It isn't a great thing in my opinion despite the initial benefits.

You should probably know that the reason that some antihistamine's actually create a sedative effect is that they easily cross the blood brain barrier very quickly and can bond temporarily to certain RNA strings as well as histamine receptors. The upshot of this is that they produce more negative central nervous system effects, which can have some limited impact on decision-making, verbal learning, and psychomotor skills. I'm sure you will agree, these are not beneficial effects to someone with ASD.

Also if you look at the fact that bonding antihistamine to histamine receptors constantly will also create a tollerance whereby that particular group of antihistamine's may be ineffective if they are needed to treat an actual allergy later on.

Zen

Edited by zenemu

He is sooooo young to be on meds,but I dont know him so not sure how difficult it might be for you!My son has just been given an antihestamine I think Citrizine,he wont take it though!

He also doesnt sleep,well falls asleep fine but wakes numerous times.Dont know if thats why the doc gave it,but he keeps getting sick,like he is healthy two weeks than sick for four than healthy then sick etc, so she thought maybe hayfever,I dont agree(just because he has been like this for 2yrs or more and even through autmn and winter when pollen is low) but hey I am no doctor.

He also doesnt sleep,well falls asleep fine but wakes numerous times.Dont know if thats why the doc gave it,but he keeps getting sick,like he is healthy two weeks than sick for four than healthy then sick etc, so she thought maybe hayfever,I dont agree(just because he has been like this for 2yrs or more and even through autmn and winter when pollen is low) but hey I am no doctor.

When I first read thinking it might be hayfever but throughout the year, my thought was allergic rhinitis - basically hayfever is one form of this. I have symptoms throughout the year and have to take an interesting cocktail of medication all year round. However, if he's sometimes ok and sometimes not but you're not changing his environment, I think it's less likely to be an allergy or just an allergy as you'd expect to see continuous problems.

Back to the OP, antihistamines are used for sleep issues, but I would be wary of this. I take a very strong prescription only one, works great for the allergy issues, but the systemic effects (effects on the whole body) are quite profound and, as Zenemu pointed out, not ideal when struggling with ASD issues already. For me, I didn't really have a choice because I'm so atopic and react badly to some allergens, but if I didn't have the need for the medication, I certainly wouldn't want to be taking it with the side-effects it does have.

What medication, travel sickness or antihistamines have you been given?

The problem is with some of these medications that it can have the reverse effect and stimulate rather than sedate in some people, so the more you take./give the more the brain is simulated into action.

Personally I have never seen a 5 year old that could sit still for 3 mins! I think they must in the moniority!

Apparently people's bodies can become more tolerant of antihistamines, don't know if thats true but a few people i know who use piriton say that if you take it regularly you don't get so drousy. Maybe this is happening to your son. My Dd1 was given phenergan when she was about 3 to make her sleep for longer, it was a disaster she went out cold for about 3 hours and then ran round the house like a loon for the rest of the night, LOL. wouldn't recomend that one.

Personally I occasionally take piriton if am a stressed and can't get to sleep. It works wonders for me!! B)

Oh and I agree with winston I haven't met many 5 year olds who can sit still for 3 mins either.

Edited by got the tshirt