78 members have voted

1. 1. Are you using chelation therapy?

• Yes, I am doing this with professional advice
    • Yes, I am doing this alone
    • No, I wouldn't ever
    • No, But I'm thinking about it
    • What's chelation?

Hi Jaded,

I am very interested in this topic as I have a head full of fillings and a craving for tuna during my pregnancy - ate it every day :wacko:

I have not done anything about it as the chelation process seemed a bit dramatic for a 3yr old but keeping an eye on this topic.

Hi everyone, I am 3months into chelation with my 6 year old autistic (mercury poisened son) We are using a DAN (Defeat Autism Now) doctor in the UK. There is a list of DAN doctors in the UK on the Autism Research Institute of America web site. Also check out www.generationrescue.org for huge amount of info, advice, testimonies etc. We have also started Methyl B12 injections and are on a host of supplements. Autism is treatable do not be told to go away and deal with it by your doctor. Look at all the Autism sites on Yahoo Health Groups and get reading!!

Anybody wanting to know more could have a look at the DAN! Spring 2005 which is available online.

Perhaps have a look at David Kirby (author of 'Evidence of Harm') or for methyl B12 Neubrander's presentation (though the video presentations from parents that he shows are hard to hear clearly, he is quite witty).

http://www.danwebcast.com/

Georgiegirl I'm interested in the b 12 injections, I've heard they have been used for various cognitive disorders , where can you get them done in the uk. Also interested in the mercury issue as I have a mouthful of amalgam fillings,but it is too expensive to get removed

I think the claims on the Generation Rescue site need to be read with caution.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong but I personally would be very careful about this.

Hi Florrie,

We are getting our Methycobalamin B12 from Breakspear Hospital in Hemel Hempsted but you can buy them from a pharmacy in Switzerland and adminster them yourself. To read all about this treatment go to www.drneubrander.com who is a doctor in New Jersey that discovered the benefits of this treatment for autistic (mercury poisened) children.

Also check out www.generationrescue.org for huge amount of info, advice, testimonies etc. We have also started Methyl B12 injections and are on a host of supplements. Autism is treatable do not be told to go away and deal with it by your doctor. Look at all the Autism sites on Yahoo Health Groups and get reading!!

I would be very wary of this statement and the site mentioned.

Theresa

DAN?

Defeat Autism Now??

1: I don't view 'autism' as an enemy, but i do view responses to it that apply value judgements as unhelpful and potentially dangerous...

2: Autism is treatable? i think there are things that can help, but I view any out and out 'cure' with extreme suspicion...

Sorry to be blunt; but I find some of the language being used here quite offensive.

I will admit, to being completeely ignorant about the marvellous benefits of B12, but i do remember some 10 years ago when very similar claims were being made about vitamin B6, and that didn't lead to a 'CURE'... Neither did the dietary interventions promoted by the AIA (which change every month so by their own definition that 'minute trace elements cause profound problems' are inherently flawed)... neither have any of the hoemeopathic remedies championed over the past ten or 15 years...

Now I'm not knocking anyone- live and let live, do what you gotta do etc - but i would ask anyone who thinks they've found a 'cure' to be a bit more sensitive about how they report it, 'cos there is a judgement attached to the assumption that autistic people need a cure that does not sit comfortably on some shoulders...

L&P

BD

I too am wary of cure claims, but on the mercury issue I have started another thread about staryork. This research team are looking into mercury and their website says they will take samples from children out of the York area with a dx. Am seriously thinking of taking part, and would be interested to know if anyone else here is involved.

In pregnancy I was also a tuna addict (and previously) thinking it to be a healthy source of protein. I was never told otherwise. I now wonder if all those tuna salad sarnies along with all the jabs at such a young age had major implications ?

Had big arguement with HV re. mercury, she now thinks I am total crackpot !

Nobody is claiming B12 to be a cure! Do your own research and make changes if you think it will help your child and you are supported by a doctor you trust. Its just that people need information so they can decide for themselves. I am not happy to sit back and wait for a 'cure' if there is a possiblity I can do some interventions now that will improve my child's quality of life and therefore mine and the rest of our family.

We have just started biomedical interventions so it is early days for us but I am being guided by a doctor and would not take risks with unproven or unsafe treatments.

Hi folks,

Just a note of caution,....we are watching this thread very carefully as it could easily 'develop'. No problems at all so far, but the issue being discussed could be offensive/emotive, if you have a strong opinion either way.

Please be respectful of one another,...agree to differ by all means! :)

Regards,

Elefan

I have deep misgivings about chelation, the science behind it just doesnt ring true. I cant get my head around the idea of using substances to flush out toxins.

I had a look at the information behind this and cant help feeling that if all of this is true why hasnt it been embraced by the general medical world? I will believe it when I see it in The British Medical Journal (or other respected medical publication)

It worries me that vunerable and desperate parents attempt these so called treatments which involve chemicals that in themselves could cause more harm than good to young, developing bodies. I have even read of parents investing in saunas to help flush out toxins.

As Baddad says, live and let live but take care.

Loraine

This is an emotive subject for sure.

FWIW I don't like the DAN! name either. However when you look at the people in the Think Tank, these are the people who are doing really brilliant research into autism. Much of the research is published in peer reviewed journals. Many of the doctors are also parents Rimland, Amy Holmes, Geoff Bradstreet, Teresa Binstock to name a few. It's complex and we haven't got anywhere near the whole picture yet.

I also think that where you or your child is on the spectrum influences how you look at this.

I have an extremely low functioning child trapped inside a body that isn't working. He is non-verbal, profoundly dyspraxic, probably dyslexic, has sensory processing difficulties (especially auditory), a visual thinker with a wicked sense of humour who struggles daily in an extremely supportive special school.

Of course I am going to do what I can to make that better, and if administering an over-the-counter supplement is going to do that (which is all chelation is) then I'm going to try it.

Mind you, it took me three years of reading medical research before I got to that point.

It's good to read everyones opinions regarding this whether for or against. The more information from both points of view posted here especially with links for people to look at is all good because it gives a balanced array of information for people to make an informed choice. I do agree though that as with anything like this when looking at info on the net especially with regards to 'alternative' therapies for want of a better expression that it is just as important to evaluate the quality and credibility of the source of the info as much as the info itself.

:lol:*chuckling at the poll results (so far)*

Nobody seems to have a clue what chelation is! (Including me - I've never heard of it before.)

I'll decide whether I think it's an emotive subject or not just as soon as I know what it is. :rolleyes:

James

Edited by Gordie

Poor James lol. For those who aren't sure what it means, well it's a therapy where certain chemicals are administered which allow heavy metals to pass through the blood/brain barrier attached ionically to the administered chemicals and be excreted where they could not have been otherwise apparently. It is claimed that the poisoning effects of the heavy metals therefore will then be alleviated. Negative points I've spotted so far that concern me are the claim that there is risk of kidney damage from all this stuff suddenly being passed through them and also that other essential trace elements are forced to be excreted also and it is not clear whether replacing them with supplements are enough. I have only really read negatives/doubting reports over it's efficacy in the alleviation of arterial plaque and some coronary conditions but I have not read anything as yet which disputes its efficacy in removing heavy metals-if anyone's got an article/research to post to this effect it would be good to read up some more.

Personally, I would be very wary of using any form of chelation therapy unless there really is evidence of heavy metal poisoning. However, using methylcobalamin would probably be safer than using EDTA, since methylcobalamin is simply vitamin B12 (otherwise known as cobalamin) with a methyl group (-CH3) attached. EDTA on the other hand, is a powerful chelating agent which is commonly used in the laboratory to chelate a variety of different metal cations (positively charged ions).

I have no doubt that differences in the uptake, distribution and storage of metal ions can account for a number of diseases or conditions. Metal ions are intrinsic to the structure and function of numerous proteins, and proteins perform a multitude of tasks within a living organisms - structural (skin, hair), messengers (hormones) and virtually anything else you can think of. Not surprising then, that if metalloproteins cannot adopt precisely the right structure (perhaps through lack or excess of a particular element) then they will not function correctly.

However, the human body appears to be very good at ridding itself of toxins and making sure there is enough of the good stuff, given half a chance. I think food cravings are not confined to pregnancy, but instead are a general mechanism for regulating our dietary requirements. Similarly, I don't think loss of appetite is necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure everyone has noticed that as the weather is getting warmer, you might be content with a salad rather than the steak and kidney pudding of a few months ago!

Although I don't have any children, I do suspect that I have AS, so here is my personal opinion. What has really helped me is being able to eat what I want, when I want, without anyone trying to pressure me. Usually I will have 3 meals a day like everybody else, but then sometimes I'm just not hungry or really fancy pizza for breakfast, so that's exactly what I'll do. Of course I can see that could be quite a difficult arrangement to have with a child in a family setting. The other thing that has been a real help is yoga and meditation. Of course, this may also be a difficult thing to involve a child in, and I would definitely not recommend some of the practices for anyone under 18. Aside from the asanas (positions) I have been doing some kriyas (cleansing practices) which are designed to rid toxins from the system and restore a good flow of energy. These involve purging the nasal passages, stomach, and fasting. Sounds like bunk and it's not overly pleasant but you feel great afterwards! Also, saunas and especially steam baths are great, as long as it's quite dark and there's nobody else in there with me...

Sorry, I though this was a discussion about biomedical interventions for children with autistic spectrum disorder. I was wondering what planet 'geekgirl' was on!

The new transdermal dmps which is a chelating agent is applied to the childs skin every other day. It is a slow gentle pull of toxic metals out of the body. The deal with autistic children is that they cannot excrete toxins by themselves. Studies in the states by Jill James have discovered that when treated with chelating agent autistic children have huge amounts of toxic metals in their bodies which are stored in their gut and brains and would not show up on any blood test. It is only when they tested the hair of 'normal' children who had a much higher level of mercury in their hair than the autistic children that they realised that the autistic group were non-excretors. td-dmps does not cross the blood brain barrier.

Anyway thats the current thinking.

Sorry, I just thought I could offer a personal account of something that really helped me and also an unbiased professional opinion as a biochemist. Best of luck to everyone though...

Geekgirl >:D<<'>

Thanks for your post...I found it very helpful as I'm very 'ignorant' about this type of thing!

Please keep posting!

Bid >:D<<'>

My son's hair sample was 'positive' as per the Amy Holmes study, so he wasn't excreting toxins and because of his 'leaky gut' they had crossed the blood brain barrier to sit in the fatty depsoits of his brain. That's the theory in a nutshell. We are using Andy Cutler's protocol ALA/DMSA, supplementing with multi-vits and minerals and monitoring progress with ARI's ATEC scoring. No negatives whatsoever. Quite a few gains in concentration span and general good humour.

I'm no bio-chemist, just a mum.

Totally agree with the food craving thing. I will get an urge to eat broccoli and other odd things. When pregnant I ate oranges 3 or 4 at a time. Saunas really help. Mr jaded (coeliac) uses them to get over dietary infringements.

Hi I'm new and searching for Carole R

I have been chelating my son with Andy Cutlers protocol with slow but steady and sustained gains. He has Mercury, Lead, Antimony and others.

MB12 injections have helped, digestive enzymes were awesome, diet was a pain, HBOT was impossible :)

Mum231ASD

Hi. I'm new here.

My 8-year-old son, Matthew, and I went to see a naturopathic physician, and he was started on NDF+, a chelating agent, Pleo Sancom for the throat and fish oil for brain function at the beginning of the summer. At the end of the summer, we went back and Pleo Not in place of Sancom was added for a month, then back to Pleo Sancom, and then Milk Thistle was added for the liver. He's doing amazingly well -- not getting into as much trouble at school, much less impulsive, and he's much happier. He said in his own words, he felt like his brain was shaking around and confused and now it feels normal. He was becoming kind of an outcast at school, and now he's being more accepted. He's a very bright boy, but now it seems he's really flourishing. So I don't know if you can call it a "cure" or not, but he's certainly doing sooooooo much better. Keep hopeful! >:D<<'>

I came across this site myself and at first i got excited, the info given to weigh up the mercury poisoning theory struck a real cord, my son was vaccinated in the thimerosal era, and i swallowed an amalgam filling whilst pregnant, but the treatment involved would be soo much of a culture shock to my son, not just the dietary changes, but change in my household cleaners, the clothes he wore, toothpaste! not possible! i know i am probably the BIGGEST sinic when it comes to "quack therapies" and im not saying this is but i would like to see some other sort of concrete proof i.e a blood test rather then case studies in order to uproot my sons life to such a massive degree.

I have mercury fillings, but my son isn't vaccinated at all. Fluoride in toothpaste was enough to trigger food phobia, light and colour sensitivity, and other things. Rituals about food, clothing (had to be dark colours), the need to wear "the hat" or he wouldn't go outside started. It was a gradual process that just got worse and worse. Within a few days of changing his toothpaste the rituals eased, and gradually they disappeared, with no other intervention.

We then chose to quickly change all our toiletries and household products, but some do it one thing at a time. It wasn't any upheaval, it is just a change of brands.

Some bubble baths contain things like formaldehyde, (which can sometimes be a vaccine filler) and I wonder sometimes if, having been primed to any toxic substance in a vaccination, the nervous system will react strongly when it meets it again.

There are also colourings and chemicals that we may not choose to eat, but we are absorbing anyway. Cutting down on the amount of chemicals used whether from toothpaste, toiletries, soap powder, cleaning products or the new room sprays etc may open the way to the nervous system being less chemically stressed. Sometimes a change of bubble bath can reduce hyperactivity, or improve eczema.

This is cheap (so I doubt research will be done on it) but it can be effective in its own right. In our case chelation wasn't necessary at all, but maybe, just maybe, if a child's nervous system is not being bombarded with chemicals, it will relax enough to allow the body to start eliminating at least some of the toxins without help. As the body's "flight or fright" response takes priority over elimination, removing the chemical "flight or fright" triggers, might help in some cases.

Hi,

just to say I'm definitely all for biomedical approach, there is something going on in the body that influences brain/behaviour.

We have just started Methyl B12 (still in trial period), results are already very promising. We are also doing it through Breakspear Hospital.

I am also a recent convert/advocate of Specific Carbohydrate Diet - our son has been on it for about 6 weeks and showing DRASTIC IMPROVEMENTS. Do give it a try if you haven't already (read my postings on the subject for more info/links).

To all those doubting Thomases I have only one thing to say: my son is making fantastic progress using biomedical approach. And that is all that matters. Also: THERE IS A CURE, I firmly believe it, the problem is the cure is not a single therapy, but a combination of procedures, all kids are different and have different underlying problems. The answer lies in finding the right combination of approaches and not giving up.

I am aware that my son can one day reach a platform and not keep on improving, but if his autistic symptoms and behaviours stay at the same level that they are today, to me the road we have taken has been worth the effort. He is a different child that he was 6 months ago. He is now much, much more happy, cheerful, communicative (still non-verbal, but only two and a month old, but some words are slowly emerging) ? pointing, waving, saying by-by, responds to beign called, no longer aggressive, not kicking screaming and biting, no more digestive problems like severe diarrhea, malabsorbtion, non-digested food in stools etc. His tantrums are thing of the past, he is much calmer and much more focused, co-operation has improved, doesn?t freak out any more if we try to brush his teeth, cut his nails or all the similar things you are probably familiar with. If he wants something he points to it now, or brings it to me etc instead of endlesly kicking and screaming. He is more comfortable in toddler groups now, doesn?t run away if approached by other kids? And no one can tell me that biomedical approach does not work, I am witnessing it every day.

Just a note on chelation/mercury: in my son?s case mercury does not seem to be one of the main problems. It. The lab results showed only a fraction of heavy metals that, in doctor?s words, most other kids on the spectrum show. In other words, every child is different, and treatments have to be tailored around every individual child.

Georgiegirl, please let me know how you are getting on with Methyl B12

Guest hallyscomet

Hi

Over here in Australia there are a lot of professionals recommending Chelation Therapy.

I know of one lady that has used it on her Non Verbal children with Autism they are twins. This is a true story, she travels from the North Coast to a Dr xxxx (name removed by moderator) in Manly.

Mercury is not only present in fish like tuna, but Mercury is present in injections, the MMR a lot of parents believe should be broken down into individual injections. Today there are still injections containing mercury. In Australia the flu injection contains mercury, some are blaming this for the older generation getting Alzheimers.

I have spoken to xxx (name removed by moderator) assistant as I was really pissed with the system as I say my boy regressed severely after his booster MMR at age 15. When I was pregnant I was involved in a car accident at 10 weeks into my pregnancy I had to have 45 needles to sew up 101 stitches in my leg under local anaesthetic. Another 15 injections all these contain Mercury, many people in Australia blame Mercury levels in food and injections for the reason some children are non verbal Austism sufferers.

Many parents over here in Australia have debated on forums all agreeing they can remember their child that was once normal and verbal becoming non - verbal within a week after the MMR, we debated it to death over here when I told them what happened to my son after the 15 year old booster. ALARM BELLS went of about metals in the system.

WHAT HAPPENS - this is what some of the experts in this field on the debate told me.

Children with Autism - do not excrete metal in products consumed or injected like normal kids. THERE IS A TEST TO PROVE THIS. Simply take your NT child and ASD child to a Naturopath get the Naturopath to do a test for Metals in the child hair. The ASD child will have not metals in their hair, as their body doesn't excrete them. The NT child will have metals in their hair.

This lady with the twins non verbal Autism said after three months of Chelation her boy hugged her for the first time. Also her child said words for the first time. She and her story can be found on the www.AutismClub.com over here in Australia. Georgie is her name on the website.

There are other ways people are helping their children and xxxx (name removed by moderator) is saying Epsom salts in the bath can help remove the metals from the childs body and Magnesium Salts the same thing.

Generation Rescue is the recommeded website if ever you want to learn more about these treatments, some parents are so desperate to try different things to help their child. In georgies case and In Australia there is a growing repect for Chelation, for non verbal ASD children.

All the other ASD behaviours are genetic history that cannot be changed. Behaviour modification and diet helps along with Medication for most ASD children, along with routine routine routine, and plenty of calm. Play Mozart sound therapy helps balance an ASD childs mind and proven to calm them down - helping with Meltdowns. So there is also Gluten & Casein free diets work also for some ASD children.

Just sharing with you what is happening over here in Australia. :wub:

Regards

Hailey >:D<<'>

Edited by hallyscomet