KKaren

Risperdal

Good Morning.

I was looking for some advice re resperdal - My son M (12) suffers with severe anxiety, everything scares him it just moves around from one thing to another - at the minute its school and I have not been able to keep him in school over the past week - he was on sertraline which helped initially in fact I thought this is the answer however after 4 weeks he became depressed and aggressive again - he is now off this medication and is having increased anxiety, depression and aggression. The doctor now wants to try him on risperdal which is a more heavy duty medication(?) I'm worried about the side effects if it will work won't work and don't know what to do for the best.

If your child has had experience of this could you let me know if it worked, how well and if there was any side effects?

Thanks

Karen

Hi, my son Glen 16 ASD, is severely anxious, aggressive and depressed. Back in early March Glen was prescribed risperidone (risperdal) 1mg in the mornings and 1mg at night. This was then increased to 2mg morns and nights. Early May, Glen was then prescribed Prozac as well 20mg in the mornings. Having both medications I did feel in June/July he was better, happier, smiling, less anxious. However since September he has deteriorated, both medications were increased but to n affect. Glen was then prescribed diazepam as well but nothing. He is very aggressive much more than a few months, I can't get him back in School either. So would I say the risperidone worked, probably in Glen's case no. It can work for a majority of kids but not all, so in your case I really wouldn't know what is the best thing for you to do. Sorry, I've not been much help but just telling you whats happened with my son.

Take a look at my thread on the General Message Forum. "Prozac & Risperidone"

Thanks for your reply - I find initially the medication works then after one or two months things get worse than they were if he wasn't on the meds - hes been off the sertraline for a week now but is very frightened the doc wants me to start this again for a short period and then onto risperdal I don't think he can go on without taking anything but its a nightmare decision when over 2 years of meds nothing has helped. Anyway time will tell thanks again.

i was on risperdal for anger/violent meltdowns which drag last hours with parents .... just get out of control over 'nothing' but was put on risperdal by adolescent pyschtrist at CAMHS but failed on me i just managed to control it still feel like losing it alot still but keep inside i rage now hurt me rather than others no meds touch me so far apart from paroxetine ....

XKLX

I was prescribed risperidone a few years ago. I took one 2mg dose and didn't take another - it literally had me falling asleep at my desk. A friend was on it for a month and his paranoia got worse.

I was prescribed risperidone a few years ago. I took one 2mg dose and didn't take another - it literally had me falling asleep at my desk. A friend was on it for a month and his paranoia got worse.

J falls asleep at his school desk and has nothing at all to do with rispiridone, just total lack of sleep as he doesnt settle until early hours, so it could be that you may of fallen asleep at your desk without it, also it could be that the dose to start off with was just too high, anyway J doesnt need to be taking any medication to be falling asleep at a desk, its just pure exhaustion.

JsMumx

I have been taking risperidone since 1998.

It's other people that recognise it benefits - not me.

Too much and I indeed do have to sleep.

My lodger took one when he first knew me, as he didn't believe in the medication, and he said he went all floppy and couldn't scale the stairs to bed.

He now makes sure I take it religiously.

I think I am better for it, I recently started counselling as although my world was rosy something was still wrong.

It was here that I discovered Aspergers, and have began rationalising my behaviours.

Life is good now.

Edited by Another Person

For Anxiety (low doses) and Schizophrenia (higher doses) it may help. Remember one of the side effects of this medication can be Akathisia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akathisia which in itself is a state of anxiety and may cause more problems. I was misdiagnosed with Schizophrenia and prescribed Risperidone, with doses being increased further and further (above recommended levels). The Akathisia (I did not know it was this at the time) was particularly unsettling - at the time I attributed it to being on a psychiatric ward and just being "distressed" without realising it was a side-effect. Some of the other side effects were also particularly unpleasant, but I think the main reason they happened were being prescribed over the recommended dosage.

If a small dose works, increasing the dose is not necessarily the way forward.

For Anxiety (low doses) and Schizophrenia (higher doses) it may help. Remember one of the side effects of this medication can be Akathisia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akathisia which in itself is a state of anxiety and may cause more problems. I was misdiagnosed with Schizophrenia and prescribed Risperidone, with doses being increased further and further (above recommended levels). The Akathisia (I did not know it was this at the time) was particularly unsettling - at the time I attributed it to being on a psychiatric ward and just being "distressed" without realising it was a side-effect. Some of the other side effects were also particularly unpleasant, but I think the main reason they happened were being prescribed over the recommended dosage.

If a small dose works, increasing the dose is not necessarily the way forward.

Good Morning

Thanks for your reply on risperidone - my son 13 has also been diagnosed with suspected Schizophrenia. He was on .5 risperdal but I have found his worries have grown and everything is a problem I feel the risperdal is doing this, I have been asked to consider a short stay in hospital to make sure his diagnosis is correct, however I have not made a decision whether we will go for this I'm going to get his off the rispedal and keep him on sertraline and see if things settled down. Where you diagnosed as a child or adult any further info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks Karen

Good Morning

Thanks for your reply on risperidone - my son 13 has also been diagnosed with suspected Schizophrenia. He was on .5 risperdal but I have found his worries have grown and everything is a problem I feel the risperdal is doing this, I have been asked to consider a short stay in hospital to make sure his diagnosis is correct, however I have not made a decision whether we will go for this I'm going to get his off the rispedal and keep him on sertraline and see if things settled down. Where you diagnosed as a child or adult any further info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks Karen