Sign in to follow this  
workingmum

Natural remedies for adhd/add -Focus Formula and BrightSparks

Hello all, we have an appointment next week with peaditrician to discuss meds for DC. This is making me very nervous - the thought of medicating a child - having readd all the pros and cons from lots of websites and parents experiences. It has taken us 6 years to agreed a trial period - but unfortunately the trial period will be during the school hols - could not get an appt soon enough - NHS palaver. This med is only really needed at school - we are managing very well at home - sometimes challenging but okay.

Has anyone had any experiences with Focus Formula and BrightSparks - no side effects - seen sold on some reputable UK website - not sure i should mention the names here.

Please anyone with any experiences - much appreciated - they are not cheap either about £17 per bottle - to last only a month or so. So before i embark on this natural remedy - might be worth asking for help. :blink:

Can't speak for either product as don't know, but my guess is if these things worked they wouldn't be 'alternative' medicine - the market is huge for ADHD meds and the big pharmacutical companies would have no qualms about dropping (i.e.) ritalin if there was a viable alternative that worked and seemed more 'user friendly'.

I had a quick look at the products ingredients: the 'brightspark' 'bits' i've never heard of, but it does say it'a a hoemoeopathic remedy so may be little more than water. Personally (and quite happy to agree to disagree with anyone who feels differently) I think homeopathy and 'water memory' is a load of bunk...

Focus Formula has some ingredients I could identify, including 'Wild Oats', which in this case, if you search the latin name they've given alongside, is just plain old 'oats' (though maybe they shout at them until they get angry? :lol:)... It could be the concentration levels (see above) or it could be they use specially harvested gluten-free oats, but taken at face value their claim that their product is 'gluten free' isn't entirely reassuring(?)

I wouldn't think it would do any harm to try them... but I think you also need to bear in mind that Placebos can work very well too, on the basis that people taking them 'feel what they expect to feel' and that people administering them 'see what they want to see'. Psychologically, these are very powerful drives, and if you combine them with a scenario like routine changes and 'observation' (which in itself implies big changes) it's very easy to misinterpet what's going on.

Hope that's helpful, and if you do decide to give your purse a battering I hope you get something worthwhile out of it!

L&P

BD