Sign in to follow this  
puffin

Is anyone having problem with Dr.Who?

My 9 year old daughter LOVED the new Dr. Who - she has even turned down party invitations that clashed with it. But since last night's regeneration she seems really confused and puzzled - that Dr Who can become someone else.

has anyone else had this problem?

I'm guessing that she won't have seen the old episodes, so won't be familiar with the concept of regeneration.

And like many hardcore Doctor Who fans, I get irritated over small things: HIS NAME IS THE DOCTOR, not Doctor Who, just The Doctor. Galyfreyans tend to have names that represent what they are, he is a Doctor of everything(so an expert in everything) whilst The Master is an expert on how all beings think and can manipulate them. He can even steal lives from other Time Lords.

The regeneration ability is a lot like reincarnation; same soul but an entirely different person. Time Lords supposedly evolved like that because they would go mad if they spent centuries as the same person.

David Tennant will be the tenth Doctor. A Galyfreyan can only regenerate 12 times before death is permenant, but there is some confusion as to wether it is 12 lives or 12 regenerations. If they have 12 regenerations, that means they have 13 lives because of the one they were born as. So only two or three more actors can be used before the Doctor has to be gone for good, because they went through a lot of Doctors in the 80s.

I'm said to see Christopher Eccelston go, I think he's the best Doctor since Tom Baker. He certainly would have been typecast if he stayed in the role because he fits into it a little too well.

I'm sad to see Christopher Eccelston go,

Me too, but that's for the eye-candy aspect. We've never had that in a Doctor Who before.

As for understanding it, James only watched the first one and after that he was terrified at the very prospect of it so it's not been an issue for us.

Karen

x

Im glad to say my son hates it lol :o

Yes!

My daughter has just announced she doesn't like the change and doesn't want to watch any more.

Neither do I - I have a thing for Christopher Eccleston. :wub::rolleyes:

all my kids love dr who. i was a fan of it myself when i was little, but tom baker comming through that tunnel with the spooky music absolutley terrified me!

Yep, we have a problem with it. My son absolutely adored Christopher Eccleston, and is very upset about the 'skinny bloke'. We've had a difficult day ....

Still, I've got until the Christmas episode to bring him round.

My 5yr-old has been a fan since he accidntally discovered what he called "the farty aliens story". He seemed to take the whole regeneration thing really well and is already pestering me about how long is it until Christmas. :lol:

My 2yr-old used to scream whenever he saw an advert for Dr Who but was converted after seeing the Daleks for the first time. He now trots around the house saying "Exterminate!" - only he pronounces it as "Meh-mer-minate!" :lol:

I shall miss Christopher Eccleston too. :(

well I loved Christopher Eccleston ages before Dr Who, so hands off. I think we would probably be married if I wasn't already :lol::lol::lol:

Yep, the heat's got to me ;)

Interestingly it was my NT who had the problem with the change (but then have been having my doubts about whether he is NT anyway, and it's little things like this - starting to see a pattern......)

Elaine

My biggest problem has been fielding such delights as.

'Mum can WE build a delta wave in the kitchen and see how far it can really reach? Would it kill ALL the insects too?'

'Mum how strong are the daleks outer casing to prevent them exploding into space? Why did not that lady explode straight away was there a force field....how can I make a force field like the doctors?'

On the regeneration Sam was 'Cool! Look mum that would solve a lot of burns people having pain...MUM....can we build a system to cause regeneration for people who get badly hurt too can I do THAT at university?'

And on and on till my head hurt. Just for once I wish he could watch something like this and enjoy it as a story not a way to recreate it at home.

Ben loves Dr Who, the only programme he watches that has "real" people in it, all the rest are cartoons.

He didn't really comment on the regeneration thing but I had warmed him about it and we took time to look at the previous Dr's on the internet, forwarned is forarmed with these kids. We just have wait and see how he reacts to the Christmas special.

Viper.

My son loved watching the final episode in the series and thought the regeneration was great. His only concern was that we were led to believe that the daleks would be destroyed. However 3 of the Daleks were supposedly destroyed by the Annedroid but in the previous episode we discovered that Annedroid did not destroy things, only transported them. He therefore believes that there are still 3 alive that may come back. Anyone else pick up on this or did we miss something?

Denise 2 :)

Yes, I pick up things like that too. Like in Terminator 2 when he tears his arm off to get free of a cog that it got crushed in, but they don't retrieve it before the end of the film, so it doesn't matter if they destroy the old terminator's arm and chip; the new terminator has left his arm there to be found and studied again.

My answer to your son's query is that Captain Jack modified the defabricator which was used to remove his clothes in the episode before to be used as a gun. He would have done the same with a teleport beam; modifed it so it breaks particles up without putting them back together. I was expecting the Anne Droid to be a bit more tougher on the Daleks; it was just as psychotic after all.

Chris loved it - but really couldn't understand why me and my friend used to hide behind the sofa when the Daleks were on all those years ago!

I think he thought we'd really lost it for the last episode with the millions of Daleks - we were threatening to hide behind the sofa again!

Those were the days.....

Lisa

I have to say I loved it - Christopher Eccleston - :wub: AND i still got scared and hid behind a cushion a couple times :huh:

Chris was far more interested in his latest Thomas video :D

Faz