Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

Help with sleeping

We have got an appointment at CAHMS at the end of January.

I'm wondering whether to ask them about medication to help my son sleep.

He always finds it hard to get to sleep, he is often awake very late.

He gets frightened on his own and ends up sleeping with his dad.

Recently I've been giving him some Medised to get him off to sleep and he is so much better after a good nights sleep. But obviously I can't keep giving him that.

What kinds of meds are there available and does anyone have any pros or cons about them.

I'm not totally anti medication, but he hasn't had any so far.

He is having so many other problems with anxiety and school refusal, but I think getting a good nights sleep first would help quite alot.

Hi

Melatonin has made a significant difference to my son. My understanding is that kids on the spectrum can lack seratonin (something which regulates various things including sleep). Melatonin is a natural hormone and is currently unlicensed in the UK for children (though it's widely and easily available in the States). However, my son's consultant suggested it to us and initially I refused. However, after moving house, etc I was struggling to function about being up half the night with my son. My son's consultant prescribed it and contacted our GP to ensure a continued supply under the 'shared care protocol' (some GPs refuse to prescribe it). We gave it a try and although it's not a miracle cure, it has undoubtedly helped the whole household, nut just kiddo. The thing to note is that it helps get kiddo off to sleep, but doesn't keep him asleep. However, that's good enough for us as R would often awaken in the early hours and be awake until 12/1/2am.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

Hi

Melatonin has made a significant difference to my son. My understanding is that kids on the spectrum can lack seratonin (something which regulates various things including sleep). Melatonin is a natural hormone and is currently unlicensed in the UK for children (though it's widely and easily available in the States). However, my son's consultant suggested it to us and initially I refused. However, after moving house, etc I was struggling to function about being up half the night with my son. My son's consultant prescribed it and contacted our GP to ensure a continued supply under the 'shared care protocol' (some GPs refuse to prescribe it). We gave it a try and although it's not a miracle cure, it has undoubtedly helped the whole household, nut just kiddo. The thing to note is that it helps get kiddo off to sleep, but doesn't keep him asleep. However, that's good enough for us as R would often awaken in the early hours and be awake until 12/1/2am.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

hi- i agree with the above post about malatonin really helping. as said its not a miracle cure but seems to educate your child to sleep and certainly changed our life. my boy has been on it long term with no ill effects and has learnt that even if he takes a while to get to sleep,to lie qauietly in bed until he drifts off. hope this helps

will they give melotinin to adults too or just children?

XKLX

i have just looked at the blurb that comes with the melatonin and it doessay that it is prescribed for the short term treatment of insomnia [tho my son has been on it a long time] and poor quality of sleep in 55 yr olds and over so that it would seem that adults can have it.

my daughter has similar sleep problems which, I'm sure, have an adverse effect on her mood, which is unpredictable at the best of times! I mentioned it to CAMHS ages ago but they said to really work on her routine. We have done this...she is currently out of education and this had an impact on her routine, but despite her compliance, she is still awake for large portions of the night. I have a docs appointment for her tomorrow regarding her ongoing stomach problems, and am considering asking the gp but am not sure if a gp can prescribe melatonin? I work in pharmacy and have only ever seen prescriptions written by consultants, and the paper work needed to be provided in order to order them from a specials lab, used to be very specific, but seems lately, to be easily available without it? Perhaps it's supply has become more relaxed?I can only ask the question! Also, is it safe to buy off the internet? I would be a bit worried giving her something if I couldn't be sure of exactly what was in it!?

my daughter has similar sleep problems which, I'm sure, have an adverse effect on her mood, which is unpredictable at the best of times! I mentioned it to CAMHS ages ago but they said to really work on her routine. We have done this...she is currently out of education and this had an impact on her routine, but despite her compliance, she is still awake for large portions of the night. I have a docs appointment for her tomorrow regarding her ongoing stomach problems, and am considering asking the gp but am not sure if a gp can prescribe melatonin? I work in pharmacy and have only ever seen prescriptions written by consultants, and the paper work needed to be provided in order to order them from a specials lab, used to be very specific, but seems lately, to be easily available without it? Perhaps it's supply has become more relaxed?I can only ask the question! Also, is it safe to buy off the internet? I would be a bit worried giving her something if I couldn't be sure of exactly what was in it!?

My GP refused to prescribe melatonin even though Tom's paediatrician had recommended it, she said it was too heavy handed for a child of 9 and gave me some other thing, can't remember the name offhand but it turned out to be an anti-histamine which is sometimes used for insomnia in adults. Was useless. Didn't seem to get him to sleep any quicker but when he woke up during the night was really dopey and almost fell down stairs. Needless to say didn't use that again. Went back to paed who was most annoyed at GP attitude and has now written her a strong letter pointing out relevant research, trials etc and basically telling her she doesn't know what she's talking about!! :thumbs: She (paed) says she will write initial prescription and GP can then do repeats, if she refuses just go to someone else in the practice who will. It seems it depends on your PCT whether they let GPs prescribe initial supply or not.

HTH

Helen

Edited by tom'smom

just to say that gp visit went very well. She prescribed zolpidem...just enough for 4 nights, and designed to help her get into a better sleeping pattern, but said also that she would definitely benefit from melatonin and will ring CAMHS on monday to tell them of her recommendations as she cannot prescribe it herself. :thumbs:

just to say that gp visit went very well. She prescribed zolpidem...just enough for 4 nights, and designed to help her get into a better sleeping pattern, but said also that she would definitely benefit from melatonin and will ring CAMHS on monday to tell them of her recommendations as she cannot prescribe it herself. :thumbs:

I was started on Melatonin in 1999 at aged 26. It revolutionised my life! It is not available through the NHS. You have to buy it from Vets in the USA, try the internet. Just type Melatonin and buying. It is fairly costly

Alternatively, try and contact a Dr Ken Aitken, who is an Independant Consultant Clinical Neuro Child Psychologist. He is a PhD, not a medical doctor. He also workes for the NHS. He is an Asperger expert and a genius. It was him who put me onto Melatonin. Since taking it, I go to sleep quickly and sleep soundly each night. Something I never did during my first 26 years. I have far more energy and focus now. I cope with life problems better and have become far more independant.

hope that helps

My GP refused to prescribe melatonin even though Tom's paediatrician had recommended it, she said it was too heavy handed for a child of 9 and gave me some other thing, can't remember the name offhand but it turned out to be an anti-histamine which is sometimes used for insomnia in adults. Was useless. Didn't seem to get him to sleep any quicker but when he woke up during the night was really dopey and almost fell down stairs. Needless to say didn't use that again. Went back to paed who was most annoyed at GP attitude and has now written her a strong letter pointing out relevant research, trials etc and basically telling her she doesn't know what she's talking about!! :thumbs: She (paed) says she will write initial prescription and GP can then do repeats, if she refuses just go to someone else in the practice who will. It seems it depends on your PCT whether they let GPs prescribe initial supply or not.

HTH

Helen

Glad to here Paediatrician said gp didn't know what she was talking about. Read my text below about Dr Ken Aitken and melatonin. It would work just as well for a 9 year old as a 26 year old. It would work for a 2 year old! If i'd gone on it as a child, my life would have been much much easier and happier, and I would have slept properly and got REM.

Melatonin simply introduced a Circadian cycle that is not present, because the Pineal gland is not working properly or at all, and releasing Melatonin.

Hope that helps.