Shrinking Violet

There are some threads here I'd have liked to have replied to

Hello folks,

Now, whilst I'm no means qualified to offer professional advice re supplementation, he's my lay(wo)man's 2p's worth.

In my view there are several essential vitamins and minerals we need to supplement (if I mention dosages, they're adult dosages - I don't have kids)

Omega 3 (and Omega 3 ONLY - DO NOT buy a combined 3, 6 and 9 formulation as we get plenty of 6 and 9 from our food). Make sure you choose a high-potency formulation; I take NOW Foods DHA-500 in combination with their Super EPA Double Strength. I buy all my vitamins and minerals from iHerb; they're a US company but everything is so CHEAP (even when you take shipping and customs charges into account).

Magnesium: - This plays a role in energy production, metabolism, nerve impulse transmission and bone health. It's also been shown to relax and can aid in treating and preventing depression (this is why you'll find it in many natural relaxation and sleep formulae). Be sure to buy magnesium CITRATE (NOT oxide or malate) as the citrate form is the most readily bio-available.

Calcium: - Never take magnesium without calcium, as they (DAMN!! Can't find the word I need - begins with 's'! HELP!!) complement (NOT the word I wanted). Make sure you go for the citrate version as, again, this is the kind most readily available to the body.

Vitamin D: - I CANNOT stress the importance of supplementing this - especially for those on the spectrum. There are varying factors concerning dosage but, as a general rule, 5,000IU per 25lb bodyweight (or part thereof) daily is recommended, especially if you've not taken it before. It plays a role in bone health, boosting the immune system (if you take a reasonable amount of vitamin D in the winter, you're less likely to get the seasonal sniffles!)

Finally, I'd like to promote L-theanine; this amino acid plays a key role (along with taurine - this is the reason Red Bull is called Red BULL, bit of a pun, as taurine has nothing to do with bulls. It's added to energy drinks containing caffeine to lessen the jitters) in activating the beta receptors responsible for relaxation.

As it's an AA, it has no side effects, therefore may be useful in calming down kids about to 'go off on one' (you could call them magic happy caps or something). THE STUFF WORKS!! I take a couple 20 minutes before I have to do something stressful (e.g. hospital appt) and I breeze through.

Right I've been awake all night and I think I need to attempt to get some kip now.

Hope some of what I've said's been helpful.

Hugs all

Sarah xxx

Automobile Association...

Bid ;)

:shame::lol: I was tempted to start a list of random possibilities, but I was scared of the mods wrath... :fight::ph34r:

Finally, I'd like to promote L-theanine; this amino acid plays a key role (along with taurine - this is the reason Red Bull is called Red BULL, bit of a pun, as taurine has nothing to do with bulls. It's added to energy drinks containing caffeine to lessen the jitters) in activating the beta receptors responsible for relaxation.

As it's an AA, it has no side effects, therefore may be useful in calming down kids about to 'go off on one' (you could call them magic happy caps or something). THE STUFF WORKS!! I take a couple 20 minutes before I have to do something stressful (e.g. hospital appt) and I breeze through.

Many thanks for this info I have done some more research and am now off to buy some!

:thumbs:

Hello folks,

Now, whilst I'm no means qualified to offer professional advice re supplementation, he's my lay(wo)man's 2p's worth.

In my view there are several essential vitamins and minerals we need to supplement (if I mention dosages, they're adult dosages - I don't have kids)

Omega 3 (and Omega 3 ONLY - DO NOT buy a combined 3, 6 and 9 formulation as we get plenty of 6 and 9 from our food). Make sure you choose a high-potency formulation; I take NOW Foods DHA-500 in combination with their Super EPA Double Strength. I buy all my vitamins and minerals from iHerb; they're a US company but everything is so CHEAP (even when you take shipping and customs charges into account).

Magnesium: - This plays a role in energy production, metabolism, nerve impulse transmission and bone health. It's also been shown to relax and can aid in treating and preventing depression (this is why you'll find it in many natural relaxation and sleep formulae). Be sure to buy magnesium CITRATE (NOT oxide or malate) as the citrate form is the most readily bio-available.

Calcium: - Never take magnesium without calcium, as they (DAMN!! Can't find the word I need - begins with 's'! HELP!!) complement (NOT the word I wanted). Make sure you go for the citrate version as, again, this is the kind most readily available to the body.

Vitamin D: - I CANNOT stress the importance of supplementing this - especially for those on the spectrum. There are varying factors concerning dosage but, as a general rule, 5,000IU per 25lb bodyweight (or part thereof) daily is recommended, especially if you've not taken it before. It plays a role in bone health, boosting the immune system (if you take a reasonable amount of vitamin D in the winter, you're less likely to get the seasonal sniffles!)

Right I've been awake all night and I think I need to attempt to get some kip now.

Hope some of what I've said's been helpful.

Hugs all

Sarah xxx

Eek - Don't like the sound of that Vitamin D with Calcium and Magnesium unless there is evidence of a potential deficiency of VitD (like playing the Vampire) - better still a Vit D test. TBA the best thing if you think you may be deficient in these is to walk down the shops in the sunshine to go and buy some more green vegetables, salad and milk. ;)

People in high latitudes on modern diets are thought to be generally vitamin D deficient in the winter because we simply don't get enough sun to make vitamin D between October and March. There was that famous review paper published a few years back;

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra070553

You do need to be careful about taking minerals, though. I once had some problems with a vit D/Ca/Mg combination. Looking at my diet at the time, it was already reasonably high in Ca, but very low in Mg. An Mg supplement made a huge difference to my general health and since then I've had to really watch my diet. Mineral balance is very important.

cb