Sign in to follow this  
smiley1590

watching let him have it -

i am just watching 'let him have it' wondering if derek bentley has autism as easily led vulnerable and was little small child mentally poss LD too with it but didn't have ANY friends and one's he did get involve with got him into deep situations he couldn't get of?! feel really sorry for him quite sad true story derek had epilespy so i do think he had autism putting all signs together? he was at wrong crowd and just wanted to be accepted have 'noral' life i think derek mean't to chris when he said let him have it i think he mean't the gun to police officer not shoot him! derek seems to get the blame alot as he gullable .... show how cruel games other people can play get others into massive black hole don't come back from!!! this just proves what social influence can ruin destroy lives .... knowing derek got hanged for being 'mentally slow' and chris because he young underage got lesser jail sentence for killing a policeman makes wonder where common sense justice how scared derek must have been how much he wanted 'out' but couldn't once he in he was in for long haul!

XKLX

I don't think there's any evidence of autism. He apparently had epilepsy triggered by a head injury.

A very sad story. The film is very moving. We used to live in Croydon, where the incident happened and I remember Derek's sister and neice camaigning for years to have him posthumously pardoned. It was obviously a complete miscarriage of justice and anyone who seriously in favour of the death penalty should look at this case.

Derek was eventually cleared, but sadly his sister died before it happened so never had the satisfaction of seeing the result of all her efforts.

K x

Edited by Kathryn