smiley1590

anyone have IT brains or know sm1 that IT boffin!!

i need to know default password for type of laptop ( compaq EVOn800v) my uncle gave it to my twin brother fix as a IT challenge but need this information to do the rest as my uncle got if from someone they don't know the password so we are stuck unless we get this vital piece of information needed???

What do you mean 'default' password? It's AGES since I've used a Windows laptop (like at least 20 years) but AFAIK there's no such thing as a 'default' password. Neither PCs, nor Macs, come 'pre-passworded' (it's not like having a default PIN on a mobile which is, nearly always, 0000). A password MUST be set by the user,

Are we referring to a BIOS password (in which case, the only way to reset it would be to drain the CMOS by removing the battery (but that would involve opening the laptop up - NOT something I'd recommend a novice to do (not being mean to your brother but, if he was in any way competent, he'd know how to do that already)) or are we attempting to guess a Windows password (though Windows security is like a locked gate in the middle of a field). Windows, unlike OS X, has no way in which to reset the password without reinstalling the OS (and for an OS which came with a laptop, you would need a copy of the version of Windows which was originally supplied with the machine).

If I need to reset my password under Snow Leopard, I simply boot off the Snow Leopard DVD and use the password reset tool. Takes about 30 seconds. You might think this makes OS X less secure, but it's only the USER password which can be reset in this manner; to reset the ROOT password, you would need to reinstall the OS.

That's about all the advice I can give you. Does any of that help...?

Sarah xxx

i need to know default password for type of laptop ( compaq EVOn800v) my uncle gave it to my twin brother fix as a IT challenge but need this information to do the rest as my uncle got if from someone they don't know the password so we are stuck unless we get this vital piece of information needed???

That's easy to solve. You don't need a password at all. Just follow these 5 simple steps:

1. Place the laptop (preferable open) on the floor under a set of high shelves.
  2. Irresponsibly place a large heavy metal mallet (that's a mallet that is heavy and made from metal, not one that comes pre-cut with an ipod listening device to cope with its musical tastes...) teetering on the edge of the highest shelf you can reach.
  3. Nail an almost dead mouse (by its tail) to another shelf.
  4. Let the cat in the room to chase the mouse, causing the shelf to shake, the mouse to swing into the mallet and the mallet to drop (think reverse mouse-trap), hitting the laptop and smashing it to smithereens.
  5. Claim a new laptop that does not have a password on the insurance. :devil: It's called 'accidental damage'. :ph34r:

Sorted. :thumbs: Don't forget to give the cat the mouse as a treat for his help in the grand plan. :eat1:

Best thing to do is get a windows CD and reset the password that way. Either that or pull the HD out and plug it into another machine, get the data off then rebuild.

I assume it's the power on/BIOS password you mean - not the Windows one as mentioned by others.

You could try here:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1298305615878+28353475&threadId=483547

Similar information here:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1056906

Windows passwords take seconds to crack... download Ophcrack live cd (just google it), burn the cd, boot to it an voila, the password will be displayed in under 5 minutes usually. WinXP is easiest, Vista uses a different hash so is harder to generate the rainbow tables for.

Just noticed the original post date so perhap this was a bit too late! oh well useful for tohers I guess, and a good reminder to those who feel secure... you aren't!

Windows passwords take seconds to crack... download Ophcrack live cd (just google it), burn the cd, boot to it an voila, the password will be displayed in under 5 minutes usually. WinXP is easiest, Vista uses a different hash so is harder to generate the rainbow tables for.

Do not download from unsafe sources, your pc will be infected with backdoor viruses.. just get the CD from your uncle, or rish the pc being ruined.