Sign in to follow this  
elainem

Computer Mouse Skills

Hi,

my 4.5 yr old ASD ds is very dyspraxic and struggling to get to grips with the mouse. There are some fab websites for reading skills I would love him to use but need to be able to use a mouse.

Anyone have any tips for teaching these skills to kids with dyspraxia/co-ordination probs?

Thanks

Elaine

Our son (7, Aspergers) has major co-ordination issues and took a long time to adapt to a mouse.

While he was learning we wen through a phase where I would move the mouse and he would 'do the clicking'.

Computer mice are very cheap now, so it is worth shopping around to find one that he finds easy to use.

Simon

Try slowing down the speed of your curser. I don't know how its done but it has something to do with computer settings I think. Maybe someone here can tell you.

Viper.

on a PC

click on:

start

then

control panel

find the mouse icon and double click on it

under button you can change the speed and under pointer options you can set it to have a trail so the pointer is easier to follow and you can have it 'snap to' buttons so that it moves automatically when a button comes up (some people find this confusing others find it really helpful - it's personal preference)

you could try some mouse control games to build up the skills before attempting more complex tasks -

www.orisinal.com

has some lovely ones that appeal to all ages and are played on line.

I would also recommend a mini mouse for small hands - Dot had poor mouse skills till we got and imac which came with a small circular mouse; suddenly it wasn't a problem any more!

hope this helps

Zemanski

Hi elaine -

another possibility might be a graphic tablet and 'pen'. I know pencil grip can be problematic too, but it might feel a bit more natural(?)

Some commercial software ( i.e. the early years reader rabbits and stuff) have options that do away with 'clicking' - you just roll the mouse over the screen. There are other programmes that use 'touchscreens', which fit over the monitor and work on direct contact... That said though, it's undoubtedly a good thing if you can get a 'user friendly' mouse and/or adjust the settings, 'cos then there are no software limitations.

Best of

BD :D

On laptops you have that screen thingy that you move your finger over instead of a mouse...

Are these available for PCs??

Bid :wacko:

I hope you are all impressed by my techno-speak!! :lol:

The laptop system is usually more difficult in terms of motor coordination than a mouse for young children

tracker balls are usually recommended for children in the early years with motor control problems

if pen control is OK then a small graphics tablet might work - a big one (A4) is better conceptually as it shows more of the screen but it is very bulky. Wireless ones are best but are still pretty expensive compared with usb tablets.

Zemanski

My son was spurred on by a mini mouse (smaller version bought from pc world I think ) and a robot wars game, giving them the motivation of something they like on the Pc I have always found helps when trying to develop skills, same with anything, if they have the motivation they will try harder

Be aware that AbilityNet exists.

http://www.abilitynet.co.uk/

This is a charity which can advise on computer software and hardware which might be suitable for a person with disabilities. I went on two of their courses geared to dyslexia/dyspraxia and the handouts and demonstrations were excellent.

I believe the website has downloadable factsheets these days?

Valiant_Skylark xx