katemehomeagain

can you help

I told some one about this sight they have tried to register but every time they get stuck with one thing

where you have to put what does the A stand for in asd it says the answer is wrong every time she has put aspergers- autism-aspire- even and to no-avail she is dyslexic and has autism and really would like to join. I have just had a message saying it is too hard to join this sight can I help. thank you kate

Hi katemehomeagain -

This is a new feature as far as i know - probably designed to stop 'bots' registering and messing up the membership figures...

If not tried yet get your friend to try 'autistic' (without the quote marks) as ASD is 'Autistic Spectrum Disorder' (not 'Aspergers' or 'Autism' Spectrum Disorder).

These kinds of safeguards against bots can be a pain, but most forums use them now because the 'bots' are so prolific on the web [basically, a 'bot' is just a piece of code that will register repeatedly with autogenerated names etc on any site that doesn't protect itself from them]. The alternative mant sites use to identify the person trying to register is real is to ask them to enter a two word random sequence, but then these have to be disguised by using strange fonts etc so they can't be read by text recognition programmes. :wacko: These could be much harder for someone with autism to navigate than answering the set question, because - as your friend shows - autism and dyslexia often go hand in hand.

Hope that's helpful and that 'autistic' works for your friend. If my answer's wrong, try messaging Admin (Lufty) directly.

L&P

BD :D

Edited by baddad

Hi Everyone

Baddad is absolutely correct with the correct answer and the rationale for introducing the feature.

It has significantly reduced the number of hacking/spamming attempts we have received.

I am sorry that it has caused a potential member difficulties.

Kind regards

Lufty