jacquelineh1468

medication

I have a 11 year old son who is dx with adhd,dispraxia,autism and a severe anxiety disorder on our last visit to camhs my sons psychiatrist prescribed risperidone for my son,after doing a bit of research on the medication i became quite concerned as to what they was for.Has anybody got any experience of this medication if so could you please let me know if it has helped you or not.My son has not started the treatment yet as he has to have a ecg first

i have Dyspraxia and A.S just not the ADHD part like your son! i have been on risperdone ( risperdal) in past by CAMHS pyschtrist due to anger and aggressive physcial meltdowns lasting hours resulting in my parents restraining me to the floor. i felt the meds didn't touch me and i had a side effect it raised one of my hormone levels to make my body think i was preggs so i came off it i have been on different types of AD's in the past for different things! hope fingers crossed it works for your son though! just trial and error to see what happens to see if i does work for your son and is 'right' meds for your son to be on to help him!

XKLX

My DD was in low dose risperidine for 3 years and now takes it sporadically for short periods. It changed our lives for the better. She did have some weight gain and some drowsiness. It's a difficult decision to make and a very personal one so good luck x

Thanks for both your replies i am going to give the new medication a try and see how he goes on it,i suppose anything is worth a try as he cant go on like this hopefully it will go well as i have heard that many things about this medication i was quite worried i will be over the moon if it works

Hi Jacqueline

My son Matt 13 has been on .5 risperdal for the last few months I thought hopefully it was going to be the one that worked, unfortunately for him it seems to have made his "worries" much bigger and so I've decided to take him off it how are you getting on?