jacquelineh1468

risperadol(hallucinations)

hi my 12 year old son is dx with adhd,high functioning autism,dyspraxia,hypotonia and a severe anxiety disorder.He is medicated with 2.5mg rispersdol and 4mg melatonin and for just over a week he has began to suffer from hallucinations at night,i know that this is not night terrors as he is awake and talking to me about the things that he is seeing in fact he cant believe that i cant see anything.I do not think it is the medication he is taking as he has been on the melatonin since he was 6 and has been on the risperadol for a few months now.Is there anybody out there that has had this problem with there child and can advise

hi my 12 year old son is dx with adhd,high functioning autism,dyspraxia,hypotonia and a severe anxiety disorder.He is medicated with 2.5mg rispersdol and 4mg melatonin and for just over a week he has began to suffer from hallucinations at night,i know that this is not night terrors as he is awake and talking to me about the things that he is seeing in fact he cant believe that i cant see anything.I do not think it is the medication he is taking as he has been on the melatonin since he was 6 and has been on the risperadol for a few months now.Is there anybody out there that has had this problem with there child and can advise

Hi jacqueline -

spooky, isn't it?! :lol: My son had similar hallucinations, but at a much younger age (about Five/Six, I think, from memory)... No meds or anything involved, so it's not that necessarily in your son's case... Went on for about 18 months/2 years for my son, and like your son he used to get really annoyed with me 'cos i couldn't see them. He mainly saw robots and spiders, but sometimes other things (I've just asked him and he can't remember what other than the two I've mentioned!) and the only thing i could really do apart from talk to CAMHS about it (who were convinced it was just 'dreams' and I was over-reacting) was reassure him that they weren't there and he didn't need to be afraid of them, even if they looked like they were there... I talked to him a lot about it being like a 'film' that only he could see and his head being the 'thought projector'.

I would defintiely talk to CAMHS/whoever you see esp as your son's older, but I sort of reached the conclusion it was just a 'chemical' thing when all the other possibilities were ruled out.

I did write about this at some length on the forum, but you'd have to really trawl back (if the database /search engine goes back that far) to around 2005 or so...

Hope that helps/reassures but DO talk to someone as well.

L&P

BD

Hi jacqueline -

spooky, isn't it?! :lol: My son had similar hallucinations, but at a much younger age (about Five/Six, I think, from memory)... No meds or anything involved, so it's not that necessarily in your son's case... Went on for about 18 months/2 years for my son, and like your son he used to get really annoyed with me 'cos i couldn't see them. He mainly saw robots and spiders, but sometimes other things (I've just asked him and he can't remember what other than the two I've mentioned!) and the only thing i could really do apart from talk to CAMHS about it (who were convinced it was just 'dreams' and I was over-reacting) was reassure him that they weren't there and he didn't need to be afraid of them, even if they looked like they were there... I talked to him a lot about it being like a 'film' that only he could see and his head being the 'thought projector'.

I would defintiely talk to CAMHS/whoever you see esp as your son's older, but I sort of reached the conclusion it was just a 'chemical' thing when all the other possibilities were ruled out.

I did write about this at some length on the forum, but you'd have to really trawl back (if the database /search engine goes back that far) to around 2005 or so...

Hope that helps/reassures but DO talk to someone as well.

L&P

BD

hi baddad thanks for your reply,i am definately keeping him off school and taking him to camhs as he had another one last night his consist of flying objects around the ceiling but one one occasion there was a man in black stood inside his room but i asked him if he spoke to him and he said no,ive tried to explain that nobody can see them apart from him,i am afraid that they will put them down to night terrors as when he was about 6 he has 2 fits he had a brain scan which said he had a abnormality on the left side of his brain which camhs said was normal in children(but ive never heard of it before)and put it down to night terrors

hi baddad thanks for your reply,i am definately keeping him off school and taking him to camhs as he had another one last night his consist of flying objects around the ceiling but one one occasion there was a man in black stood inside his room but i asked him if he spoke to him and he said no,ive tried to explain that nobody can see them apart from him,i am afraid that they will put them down to night terrors as when he was about 6 he has 2 fits he had a brain scan which said he had a abnormality on the left side of his brain which camhs said was normal in children(but ive never heard of it before)and put it down to night terrors

Hi jacqueline -

I think getting him to camhs is a good idea but can't see any reason for or the logic/benefit of keeping him off school? If he likes going to school, then he's missing something he enjoys and it's also likely you'll make him more stressed about the hallucinations (being kept off school is a pretty big thing)... If he doesn't like going to school then you could be lining up all sorts of potential problems by giving the impression that it's something that he can avoid through illness. I do understand why you are concerned and more so given his childhood fits (though many many children (something like one in twenty) do have 1 or 2 fits in early childhood, at around the kind of age you specify, and it's considered fairly 'normal' esp. if linked to infections other illnesses), but I can't see anything to be gained by keeping him off school and several potential negatives. I'd just carry on as normal until CAMHS or someone else suggests otherwise.

Another thing to be cautious about is assuming every night time visitor must be 'hallucinatory'. It could be that the flying objects were one thing (like my son's robots and spiders) and the man in black another - even as adults there is that strange place between sleeping and waking we sometimes find ourself in... My son's spiders and robots would be clearly visible to him while he was quite clearly awake and 'lucid', walking round the room, conversing etc and we could talk about them while he was watching them. At other times 'dreams' could spill over in the gap between being asleep and awake, and these didn't have the property of logevity associated with the hallucinations.

How does your son sleep, BTW? Sleep deprivation can cause hallucinations - it's one of the reasons why alcoholics hallucinate, because they don't achieve 'REM sleep' when in a drunken stupor so the brain does it while they're awake. Worth thinking about, if he does have problems with disturbed/erratic sleep patterns.

HTH

L&P

BD