Sign in to follow this  
DrinkTheElixir

New Scientist article

For anyone interested there is an excellent article in the New Scientist on Autism titled "Autisitic pride - we don't need a cure, we want acceptance". The article covers alot of ground, but basically the gist of it is that there is a movement that is ever growing of people with ASD who are campaigning to have autisim recognised as a normal part of human diversity. Also within the article is the idea that some traits should be accepted in some cases rather than people continually trying to deconstruct why ASD people find it difficult to make eye contact for example, or find comfort in stimming. The idea that perseverations (intense interests) can be their greatest gift rather than something that has to be constantly stifled by others is raised once again. Awareness is raised explaining that it is more than possible that perseverations can be channelled into a an area that could become their career. One example of this was Temple Grandin (I don't know if anyone is familiar with her) she chanelled her perseveration about cattle squeeze chutes and went on to become the leading designer of livestock facilities.

Anyway - it was a refreshing read and reaffirmed my thoughts and feelings about ASD - and it is well worth the �2.60. Check it out.

Edited by DrinkTheElixir

We already had a thread about which was closed as things got a little heated.

My main problem with the article centred around the comments of the bioethicist Arthur Caplan(bioethicists are known to be very anti-disability rights). While as Caplan acknowledged gifts in able Autistics(defining them a soley belonging to the Asperger group) he said about others "To not cure them would be a tradgedy".

The problem I have with arguing about the worth of Autistics on the basis of abilities is that this does nothing to help those who possess little, so a disgusting person like the bioethicist can step in and make a discrimination between Autistic people: one group worth something, the other is a tradgedy.

The second issue I had with the article was that people were allowed to make comments about the specific opinions of Gareth and Amy, but Gareth and Amy did not have other people's specific opinions put to them to answer back.

The effect of the whole article is to show the opinion of a few Autistic people, then make them look silly by showing them opposing opinions as more valid and getting an expert to back that up. If this had been truly objective and balanced, there would have been a second expert opinion opposing Mr/Dr/Prof Caplan.

It is a shame that the other thread became so heated and had to be closed. Sorry for the duplication - I didn't realise another thread existed.

My view is that all people who fall within the AS are worthy - no matter where on the spectrum they fall. The real tragedy is that it is difficult for some people to discuss the diversity without slighting another parent whose child falls elsewhere on the spectrum - because that isn't what it is supposed to be about. My position is, as a mother of a child on the AS is that I am beyond the point of dreaming that there will be a 'cure'. I am not sure that I want my son to be 'cured' because it is at that point that my son stops being who he is - and who he is is not purely defined by his diagnosis, they are intertwined. What I DO want to change is other peoples perceptions and reactions to people with AS. That is why I found parts of this article refreshing. Caplan in my opinion has a very skewed view on this subject and I winced at his comments - but he really wasn't what I was focussing upon - I dismissed what he said.

What interested me is the focus upon what society tries to DO with children/people on the AS. They are put into a situation where they are forced to comply and in many cases complying by being forced into an uncomfortable situation is wrong. My son is in mainstream and for the most part copes excellently - but his teachers (in the past) flagged things about his behaviour that they saw as 'problematic'. He played on his own, he sat and faced the wall at dinner time, he insisted on wearing a specific hat at all times. Hello? These are not problems. My son, at that time preferred his own company and more often than not, still does. He faced the wall at meal times because that was a coping mechanism that worked for him, the hat thing passed less quickly because the teachers made an issue of it. THAT is what really stood out to me about parts of that article. Peoples behaviours being stifled, behaviours which are comforting and necessary for them and yet society can't cope and so we try to 'fix' it. My son isn't broken - society is.

This isn't about putting people in little boxes and saying 'you can be celebrated because you have Aspergers' or 'you are less worthy because your condition is more severe'. Far from it. This is about being proud of our children for what they are and can be. Caplan missed that because in my opinion he doesn't understand the subject he is spouting off about - and it did sound as if he was saying one end of the spectrum were more socially valuable than the other. I think that we all know that is pure BS.

I take all of your comments on board and agree with you, I would have much preferred Gareth and Amy to have more input throughout. What I embraced was the notion that Society needs to change their expectations and attitudes to people like my son.

What I have noticed and find quite frankly painful is that is is near impossible to celebrate your childs abilities without being seen as somehow 'disrespecting' anothers. The battle against societies intolerance and hindered understanding of this issue is one thing, accepting that us as parents have different perceptions and ideals is another. The former lies solely on people like us to educate those who don't understand ASD, the latter merely underlines a need for a new level of tolerance and just a small ammount of support. It is difficult when discussing such an emotive subject not to get heated at times - I just refuse to go there when the taper that lights my fuse or anyone else around me are blinkered people like Caplan who fail to go beyond academia to fully understand the intricacies of the AS.

Hi really liked your post Drink the elixir...I agree with the point about stifling the coping behaviours....I have,nt read the article but I now plan too.