Sign in to follow this  
morgana

Cetrizine and Melatonin

My son has been prescribed Cetrizine for hay fever, I started him on it in the evenings when he was off school so no melatonin,

it seemed to have no affect on him in a drowsy way, but cleared the hay fever. When he went back to school I decided he should

have it in the morning, his TA said he was very tired by breaktime and he should have it the night before. I spoke to his

paediatrician who said Cetrizine is a modern hay fever tablet that doesnt cause drowsyness unless its a side effect(?) and he

can have it am or pm with melatonin, now I am confused as if he is experiencing a side effect of tiredness from the Cetrizine

should he have it alongside the melatonin in the evening, what could a double whammy do? Sorry for the long and garbled post

but feel am being told conflicting and confusing advice :wacko:

Melatonin isn't a typical sleeping tablet, and it doesn't cause extreme drowsiness. If the paediatrician is happy for him to take it with melatonin, I'm sure it's safe.

Drowsiness is a common side effect of most havfever medicines. It sounds like they're saying that it is not common for this particular one, but that it can occur for some people. If the drowsiness is causing a problem, it might be worth asking to try a different hayfever medicine.

Has your son tried his hayfever medicine on a day when he is home for you to observe whether he gets tired as a result? If it only happened one time, he may have been tired for some other reason. I wouldn't be taking medical advice from the teacher, but obviously it's helpful for them to tell you if he seems tired.

Many thanks Tally, I have since spoken to his GP and he has suggested reducing the dose of Cetrizine as he was on an adult dose (prescribed by GP) as he is a big 9 year old and adult doses start at 12 for that medicine, fingers crossed it works!