monty32

Books on Puberty

Can anyone give me some ideas. My nine year old daughter who has ASD, and Developmental Delay , is fast approaching puberty, and has really started to develop over the last 6 months. I have been looking for literature that can explain what is happening to her body, and also prepare her for what lies ahead! The books need to be fairly basic as she is only just starting to read. Most of her school reading books have PECS symbols, which she can understand better. Have been in contact with the NAS who have given me some advice, but are unable to recommend any specific books. Would love to hear from parents in the same boat!

Hi Monty -

I got a book called 'let's talk about sex' by Robie Harris for my son... Not sure about its 'readability', but the illustrations are good fun and a good starting point for talking about things in a way she can understand. You can have a 'look inside' (no pun intended) here and there may be other titles listed you could look at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=let%27s+talk+about+sex

L&P

BD

Hi

This topic has cropped up before and bought a couple of books. Bought Let's Talk About Sex and in honesty, I felt for my son's age (my son is aged 9 and has started puberty – his school has just started teaching sex education), it was far too detailed. Looking at the illustrations, I could actually feel myself blushing! Just think it's for kids a bit older (perhaps 12/13+). So that's one's being kept in my bottom drawer for a bit anyway. I bought another book called What's Happening to Me – there are boy and girl versions. I think it's a super book. I think it's spot on for my son's age group and gives a very good introduction to puberty, physical and emotional changes, with a brief introduction to sex (without being too explicit). I think a lot depends upon the child's age and ability to understand.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

Edited by cmuir