darkshine

I think this is really important

Just increasing percentage chance of this being seen - since I meant to post as a separate post and forgot to do so :wallbash: and instead just replied :wallbash::P

How To...

Anyway - I think its something that should be considered...

Plus - dunno if it's just my screen - but there's a blooming great potential gap for this between the forum logo and the top right section that has my profile pic and everything (profiles is another thing to explain - forgot that one!!! and notifications and searching, and a million other things when you think about it!!!)

Edited by darkshine

Also the perks of the F5 key and the dangers of the backspace key (if your a backspace addict like me) it's quite easy to post your reply, see it come up on screen and then "backspace" presto you never made the post :wallbash: I've learnt my lesson - but I can't be the only backspace addict out there who accidentally does this at times ;)

I don't know if a single person has followed the link at the top of this post or not but here's a paraphrased recap for those who may have missed the link, this is what this is about....

"How To Do's and Forum rules"

I really think a section like this should be considered - for both new and existing members to check up on things in one place that is super clear that is what that place is for.

I know that the techie corner exists and people can look here - but to non-techie people the word can be intimidating and there is a hell of a lot of stuff to sift through that is quite daunting for some

It would make a lot of sense cuz this forum is a free service and that's brilliant - but it should be accessible to people and allow them the best chance at understanding how this all works and the best opportunity to express themselves while at the same time saving people from having to repeat themselves over and over in answering questions

Look at it this way, if this forum was a physical location, there'd be ramps for the less able to make it accessible wouldn't there? Surely this and ease of use are important?

ASD diagnosis is based on qualitative impairment of social interaction and qualitative impairment of communication

So why not make the rules of interaction clearer, and aid the use of communication?

Some of these things are relevant to people with an ASD and others to everyone as well as all the other things I've said in Mumbles post "How To..." and the things that Mumble said before me.

Hi , some issues definitely worth considering there, hopefully Lufty will take on board what you,ve said as he is the techie one :thumbs:

For the most impatient person in the world - the 3 days since I first posted about this has felt like about a month :P

So thanks for the support Suze :thumbs:

I know this might seem boring to some people, hard work to others, a lot to think about etc etc and I'm not asking any single person to do that - I don't mind doing stuff for it - its just that anything I do would need editing cuz I am not great at being clear always and I do have a tendency to ramble on when trying to explain something.

Maybe existing members can't be bothered cuz they've learnt a lot or most of it already - but I have seen comments on here from people who've been on for years and not everyone knows how to do everything.

Basically I think ok, I can learn stuff like this really quickly and more importantly I can remember it - not everyone is so lucky, given a free choice I would prefer to share that knowledge - and let everyone have a piece of it cuz knowledge is to share not to keep for yourself.

Wouldn't a quick reference thing for everyone to use if or when they needed it be great?

Hi darkshine

I agree that what you are suggesting is a good idea.

I definitely think that the Guidelines and Rules should be in a more prominent position. If we have people on here who have to be on 'premoderated posts' then perhaps the rules need to be made clearer for all to see.

Thanks Mandapanda - think I need to have another good read of them myself :lol:

I think any attempt of clarity - whether that's just for forum rules to begin with - or for "How To Do's" would be a good thing for everyone, both in terms of ease of use and aiding communication.

So how many of you on here knew that there's a miniature little help menu tab up next to sign out underneath the profile picture?!?!?!

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Well that makes it easier then dunnit? :D

Now all we need is to be able to see the flipping thing - and about 10 years to read it all :rolleyes:

So how many of you on here knew that there's a miniature little help menu tab up next to sign out underneath the profile picture?!?!?!

So there is! :lol: Well I've only been here 4 1/2 years and hadn't found it myself... :rolleyes:

I haven't read through it all as it's very long. Some of it seems useful (but I'm not sure someone would read through it all to find their answer? :unsure:) but it doesn't cover the 'how tos' like quoting - just tells you that which icon inserts a quote, but of course that doesn't cover how to actually select text to quote.

Oh, and I hope there's no-one too literal reading it:

If so, you will see a " Manage Poll" button. lick on this to configure the poll.

I know it's just a typo, but I had images of members licking their compuer screens! :eat::lol::whistle:

So there is! :lol: Well I've only been here 4 1/2 years and hadn't found it myself... :rolleyes:

EXACTLY my point! So basically we can carry on moaning about find-ability :)

AAAND - ease of use:

I haven't read through it all as it's very long. Some of it seems useful (but I'm not sure someone would read through it all to find their answer? :unsure:) but it doesn't cover the 'how tos' like quoting - just tells you that which icon inserts a quote, but of course that doesn't cover how to actually select text to quote.

Cuz boy aint it long? ;)

And your right - a more user-friendly how to section would be a lot simpler - maybe I should ask for admin rights for a year (I'd share the buttons with you if you like and we can finally have a go at that shiny red one ;)) and make it really nice to look at - like the kiss thing?

Keep It Simple Stupid :devil:

I know it's just a typo, but I had images of members licking their computer screens! :eat::lol::whistle:

There isn't an emoticon big enough to show how much I'm laughing at that - but what the hell I'll try :lol::D:lol:

And here I am droning on again..... please forgive my sarcasm at times but since I'm predominantly talking to myself I don't see as it matters :devil:

I have read the entire help page - all of it - even though the link is microscopic the stuff inside goes on forever, and ever, and ever.

If this offends the person who compiled it - I guess sorry but since I'm mainly just talking to myself... does it matter?

The help page seems very old - in order to actually not cause offence to the author I will keep this brief - 3 points only to reduce the chance of me speaking my mind :rolleyes: what I actually wanna say in to that addition will remain in my head... for now at least...

Point 1. Why is there no mention of Google Chrome? (Also IE9 has been out a while now...)

Point 2. Is "my assistant" a ghost from before the forum upgrade or what?

Point 3. What is a "message tracker"?

Would it actually help if I was offensive? Then I might get a reply from someone who can do something about this or would it be best to just drone on while whoever just waits for me to get bored? Or maybe I should start a revolt (not that it seems many would join :lol:) and get the mass numbers to make this get heard.

I honestly don't know, but what I do know is that I'm used to being "one small voice" and I still think this is important and relevant...

Hi darkshine

Perhaps Mumble and I should REPORT you - surely someone would respond to that :lol::ph34r:

I like it :ph34r::devil:

Except I won't really be offensive cuz then someone might lock my topic and I'd have to start all over again :rolleyes:

I still like your idea though - but then someone would have to report you guys for falsely reporting :lol:

I am thinking of creating something that actually shows what I'm saying instead of me just going on about it - I feel this may be one of them things that is clear in my mind but not everyone else's - just have to check something :unsure: and have to look into how to get it online so everyone can see it :)

Hi

I could report you for being overly helpful - surely they wouldn't lock the topic then :whistle:

You could try putting a more explanatory heading on your next post, not everyone's as nosy as me...

I know it's just a typo, but I had images of members licking their compuer screens! :eat::lol::whistle:

And I wondered why I could never get it to work. At least my screen is now very clean.... :D:P

I'll try and answer some of these points - and emphasise that they are my own opinion and don't necessarily reflect the collective view of the admins/moderators on this forum.

"How To Do's and Forum rules"

I really think a section like this should be considered - for both new and existing members to check up on things in one place that is super clear that is what that place is for.

I know that the techie corner exists and people can look here - but to non-techie people the word can be intimidating and there is a hell of a lot of stuff to sift through that is quite daunting for some

It would make a lot of sense cuz this forum is a free service and that's brilliant - but it should be accessible to people and allow them the best chance at understanding how this all works and the best opportunity to express themselves while at the same time saving people from having to repeat themselves over and over in answering questions

Look at it this way, if this forum was a physical location, there'd be ramps for the less able to make it accessible wouldn't there? Surely this and ease of use are important?

ASD diagnosis is based on qualitative impairment of social interaction and qualitative impairment of communication

So why not make the rules of interaction clearer, and aid the use of communication?

Some of these things are relevant to people with an ASD and others to everyone as well as all the other things I've said in Mumbles post "How To..." and the things that Mumble said before me.

Point taken Darkshine. It's not always possible to cover all the "rules of interaction" in explicit written rules though, and in 7 years of being here I have not noticed people with a declared diagnosis of ASD to be necessarily any less able to follow the rules, technical or otherwise. The internet is a great leveller as it gives time for people who might struggle in "real life" situations, to work out what to do. In fact many are often more technically competent than people like me for example who came here as a parent with only a basic knowledge of computers. However yes, the forum should aim to be accessible to the widest range of people as possible, including those with dyslexia, visual problems and English as a second language, just to name a few groups who might be disadvantaged.

What really helps, as in most forums, is for people to lurk for a while, see what other people do and to ask if they don't understand anything. Having too many rules can sometimes be as confusing as too few. I hope people feel they can ask questions about how the forum works and that no question is too "stupid" or trivial.

I definitely think that the Guidelines and Rules should be in a more prominent position. If we have people on here who have to be on 'premoderated posts' then perhaps the rules need to be made clearer for all to see.

Good idea, and maybe there should be a way to make new members in particular aware of them. I don't know if this happens at the point of registration - so long ago I can't remember!

I have read the entire help page - all of it - even though the link is microscopic the stuff inside goes on forever, and ever, and ever.

If this offends the person who compiled it - I guess sorry but since I'm mainly just talking to myself... does it matter?

The help page seems very old - in order to actually not cause offence to the author I will keep this brief - 3 points only to reduce the chance of me speaking my mind :rolleyes: what I actually wanna say in to that addition will remain in my head... for now at least...

Point 1. Why is there no mention of Google Chrome? (Also IE9 has been out a while now...)

Point 2. Is "my assistant" a ghost from before the forum upgrade or what?

Point 3. What is a "message tracker"?

The help section is not written specifically for the forum but is an integral part of this kind of board.

Point 1 No idea. Ask Lufty

Point 2 No idea. Ditto

Point 3 If you pm someone you can use this to check if the pm has been read.

Also the perks of the F5 key and the dangers of the backspace key (if your a backspace addict like me) it's quite easy to post your reply, see it come up on screen and then "backspace" presto you never made the post :wallbash: I've learnt my lesson - but I can't be the only backspace addict out there who accidentally does this at times ;)

I'm not sure if I know the answer to this one - can't say either has worried me very much so far but if it's a problem for anyone else, let us know. You seem to have worked out the solution for yourself and it's probably like a lot of issues - solvable by trial and error. I think it's a reasonable assumption that anyone who has found their way here has basic computer skills, and if they don't there is already a lot elsewhere on the internet to help them. If we tried to cover every possible eventuality, the list could be very long.

Would it actually help if I was offensive?

No, as I'm sure you're well aware.

Only admins, not moderators, can change anything to do with the overall look and layout of the forum, e.g. making the Help and Guidelines more prominent, so only Lufty can say what is possible here. I will make him aware of your concerns but you'll have to be patient. We'll all have a discussion about making the existing rules more visible but again, you'll have to be patient, it's holiday time. We're all volunteers who are here in our free time and have many other demands on our time.

If we were to do a separate "How to" section covering basic rules and practical issues which aren't already covered in the guidelines, for example, how to quote, suggestions for this would be useful, and more useful than just being generally critical.

Thanks for raising these things - it is always useful for those of us who've been here a while to think about how the forum might appear to new people.

K x

I could report you for being overly helpful - surely they wouldn't lock the topic then :whistle:

I don't like the idea of being reported :( they might make me go away and then I wouldn't be able to talk to all you guys on here :tearful:;)

Am I being overly helpful? Do I sound bad? I don't know how I come across :unsure:

You could try putting a more explanatory heading on your next post, not everyone's as nosy as me...

See that's the mind reading problem again :D I thought it was perfectly explanatory - I really did - but now that I think about it, well, it isn't at all is it? :lol:

I can't think of any better ways of saying it though without loads of words - what would have been better?

Thanks

Darkshine

To be honest this persistent repeating of the same points is coming across as irritating.. Just a personal opinion.

I've taken the trouble to respond to moat of the points made here. Have you read my post and do you want to respond to anything I've said in particular?

K x

(total :wallbash: moment cuz I just replied to this and accidentally deleted it and ctrl z don't work so kinda frustrating deja vu for me - but not for you :P)

Hiya Kathryn,

I wasn't really gonna be offensive - promise - although maybe I'm treading in grey area :unsure:

Point taken Darkshine. It's not always possible to cover all the "rules of interaction" in explicit written rules though, and in 7 years of being here I have not noticed people with a declared diagnosis of ASD to be necessarily any less able to follow the rules, technical or otherwise. The internet is a great leveller as it gives time for people who might struggle in "real life" situations, to work out what to do. In fact many are often more technically competent than people like me for example who came here as a parent with only a basic knowledge of computers. However yes, the forum should aim to be accessible to the widest range of people as possible, including those with dyslexia, visual problems and English as a second language, just to name a few groups who might be disadvantaged.

What really helps, as in most forums, is for people to lurk for a while, see what other people do and to ask if they don't understand anything. Having too many rules can sometimes be as confusing as too few. I hope people feel they can ask questions about how the forum works and that no question is too "stupid" or trivial.

Good idea, and maybe there should be a way to make new members in particular aware of them. I don't know if this happens at the point of registration - so long ago I can't remember!

I didn't lurk when I first joined - I registered just after dx and then had a total breakdown as I struggled to cope with it and forgot this forum existed. It wasn't until I was organising my bookmarks one day (oddly enough the 22) that I came across it and decided to have the guts to talk to people and try to move forward in my understandings and my life. I believe the rules did come up upon registering but I didn't log in again til the 22 of may when I made my first post.

I like pressing buttons some days and I've pressed most of 'em on here :lol: but I know of people who are scared to in case they mess up things.

The help section is not written specifically for the forum but is an integral part of this kind of board.

And that's exactly why there should be one IMO cuz not only would it resolve some of the issues that have been raised but it could also reflect the forum itself in a positive and enabling way :)

I'm not sure if I know the answer to this one - can't say either has worried me very much so far but if it's a problem for anyone else, let us know. You seem to have worked out the solution for yourself and it's probably like a lot of issues - solvable by trial and error. I think it's a reasonable assumption that anyone who has found their way here has basic computer skills, and if they don't there is already a lot elsewhere on the internet to help them. If we tried to cover every possible eventuality, the list could be very long.

I only know about f5 cuz of my email account that never ever refreshes the page - it's only an issue on here if you are waiting on a PM - the forum posts and replies come up instantly.

The other reason I know this trick of f5 is cuz I aint half impatient :lol:

Only admins, not moderators, can change anything to do with the overall look and layout of the forum, e.g. making the Help and Guidelines more prominent, so only Lufty can say what is possible here. I will make him aware of your concerns but you'll have to be patient. We'll all have a discussion about making the existing rules more visible but again, you'll have to be patient, it's holiday time. We're all volunteers who are here in our free time and have many other demands on our time.

If we were to do a separate "How to" section covering basic rules and practical issues which aren't already covered in the guidelines, for example, how to quote, suggestions for this would be useful, and more useful than just being generally critical.

Thanks for raising these things - it is always useful for those of us who've been here a while to think about how the forum might appear to new people.

So in light of this would it be of any assistance if I were to put something on here that illustrates what I'm trying to say rather than seeming like a forum bashing session?

My motives are for the good - and the issues I'm raising are based on comments from existing members, new members and to me personally via PM. All the opinions I've expressed about things to do with "help, how to, and rules" are based on these things.

I might not always come across the right way - not sure - but my main feeling is for a nice clear way of doing this for everyone's benefit - new and existing.

I'd figured that the admins were the ones to talk to and I did PM the entire moderating team (including the 3 admins) I know I am guilty of impatience - a day feels like a week most days - so we aren't always judging time in the same way (or I'm not ;)).

The main reason I've pushed so much (other than impatience) is that if people think this is a waste of time - despite some very valid points - then I'd just shut up about it :P I know I'm no one and stuff but I reiterate my offer that if showing what I mean would be of any use I can figure a way of posting something that could potentially be of use for comments and building on.

Thanks

Darkshine - (who has frequently copied this in case of stupid deletion as writing it for a 3rd time would have been more than slightly tedious :wallbash:)

To be honest this persistent repeating of the same points is coming across as irritating.. Just a personal opinion.

I've taken the trouble to respond to moat of the points made here. Have you read my post and do you want to respond to anything I've said in particular?

K x

I'm guessing my latest one will answer this - it took ages to rewrite :lol:

darkshine - being overly helpful is a good thing in my opinion :) - the whole comment was a joke, but I did feel they couldn't punish you for doing something good and well meaning.

Kathryn - I would just like to say (and I was going to say it before I knew you had replied), that this is the best forum I've ever been on. The actual subjects/threads are so clearly laid out and nice and separate, and the ability to view New Content since I last logged on is sheer brilliance. It is on the whole very easy to use. I have used a Yahoo group for Home Education but you literally have to read EVERYTHING as there aren't separate threads - which makes it virtually unusable to me. I salute whoever set this site up :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I have yet to work out how people quote different parts of different posts in one post, but no doubt it's in the instructions somewhere. I've just been too lazy to look :whistle: .

darkshine - being overly helpful is a good thing in my opinion :) - the whole comment was a joke, but I did feel they couldn't punish you for doing something good and well meaning.

I know ;)

Kathryn - I would just like to say (and I was going to say it before I knew you had replied), that this is the best forum I've ever been on. The actual subjects/threads are so clearly laid out and nice and separate, and the ability to view New Content since I last logged on is sheer brilliance. It is on the whole very easy to use. I have used a Yahoo group for Home Education but you literally have to read EVERYTHING as there aren't separate threads - which makes it virtually unusable to me. I salute whoever set this site up :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:thumbs: totally agree, the layout and features on here are brilliant - I like having choices so it suits me very well too :)

Although I would like to know why sometimes the notifications act as links and other times not...

I have yet to work out how people quote different parts of different posts in one post, but no doubt it's in the instructions somewhere. I've just been too lazy to look :whistle: .

If this is an issue - for you or anyone else - this is what I did here when replying to you:

1. I pressed reply on your post.

2. It opened up in its little reply box thingy

3. I copied ALL the text (I do this by LEFT clicking my mouse pointer in the box where the text is and press: "ctrl and A" then "ctrl and C" but you can do it by highlighting with the mouse (or keyboard arrows and shift) and RIGHT clicking and pressing copy

4. I deleted paragraph 2 & 3 (while making sure it kept the time stamp at the top and the quote thing that is in brackets at the end - IT WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY WITHOUT THESE!!!)

5. I replied to paragraph one. and then I pressed return to have a space between (I like spaces ;))

6. THEN - I pressed "ctrl and V" - or you can right click mouse and select paste.

&. Now I have your first line, my reply to it, and your entire quote below - so I just deleted paragraph 1 and 3 this time (remembering about the timestamp and quote mentioned in point 4.)

7. and then replied to paragraph 2

And then rinse and repeat - or copy, paste delete :lol:

dunno if this is clear - not the best at instructions :D

PS - this is easiest to explain when doing paragraphs - but the same principle works if only one paragraph has been written but you only wanna quote and reply to a couple of points within it - so you just edit it - you copy it like before, you deleted the stuff you don't want, reply, and then copy again and find the next point you want to comment on using the same method.

PPS for anyone unsure "ctrl" is in bottom right and left (ish) corners of your keyboard :thumbs:

Good luck

Edited by darkshine

You can use the 'multiquote' button :)

It took me ages to work that one out ;) and I asked at least 3 times :lol: I have 2 ways of doing multiquote now so its nice to get a choice :)

You can use the 'multiquote' button :)

Hi

I clicked multiquote and it brought me here with only your post quoted... :unsure:

Then I saw the little Insert quotation button but that just does this:

So I did Insert quotation and then copied some text from a post below and pasted it between the quote instructions:

Although I would like to know why sometimes the notifications act as links and other times not...

Guess there's no stopping me now :clap::dance: Though I'm still not sure how to do it if the message doesn't show below the reply box (if there are too many posts).

Thank you RainbowsButterflies and darkshine - especially darkshine as you brought this whole subject up in the first place, and I was too embarrassed to ask!!

Hi

I clicked multiquote and it brought me here with only your post quoted... :unsure:

Then I saw the little Insert quotation button but that just does this:

So I did Insert quotation and then copied some text from a post below and pasted it between the quote instructions:

Guess there's no stopping me now :clap::dance: Though I'm still not sure how to do it if the message doesn't show below the reply box (if there are too many posts).

Thank you RainbowsButterflies and darkshine - especially darkshine as you brought this whole subject up in the first place, and I was too embarrassed to ask!!

Hiya - multiquote is slightly different - I'll put one way to do it - but there is another if method one is problematic - so ask if this doesn't help :D

For multiquote you find the replies you wanna quote - say there are 3.

You click the multi quote button on each of them - it changes colour so you know you've pressed it.

Then - you click the "add reply" button (the one next to "start new topic" at the bottom - they are both darkish blue).

What will happen then is you get a box with the 3 quotes in it - you have to look to see where one quote ends and another begins - the timestamps and quote at end help you to see this.

Again - each quote must be between the timestamp and and quote thing (that I explained before - each has its own unique timestamp so you have to keep it there or you'll end up with odd looking quotes.)

Using steps similar to the ones described before you can then add your replies between the quotes.

Method 2 I found is really good when there's a lot of text - so lemme know if you wanna know how I do it my other way

PS - your welcome and never be afraid to ask - everyone has to learn things sometime and knowledge is for sharing not keeping :D

You click the multi quote button on each of them - it changes colour so you know you've pressed it.

In theory yes, but depending on your Internet browser, this doesn't always work. Since I upgraded my IE mine doesn't work but does what Mandapanda says - basically just quotes the one post. The only option is, as she's found out, to do some cutting and pasting, but it is a problem with long threads. This would be one that it would be helpful for the admins to look at at is seems to be a compatibility issue.

In theory yes, but depending on your Internet browser, this doesn't always work. Since I upgraded my IE mine doesn't work but does what Mandapanda says - basically just quotes the one post. The only option is, as she's found out, to do some cutting and pasting, but it is a problem with long threads. This would be one that it would be helpful for the admins to look at at is seems to be a compatibility issue.

Ok time for method two then.

what you do is this:

You want to reply to a few quotes so you open up an identical page in a second tab in your browser window - so you have 2 identical pages open.

One is for doing your reply - we will call this page 1.

The other is to get the quotes - this will be called page 2.

This is what I do next - I click fast reply and then full editor in page 1. I now have an empty box ready for typing.

In page 2 I click "reply" on the first quote I want to reply to - you get the box with the quote in - now you can either copy all of that text (as illustrated earlier) or you can edit it so you just get one bit (again illustrated earlier). Once you've got what you want (not forgetting the all important timestamp and end quote!!!) you copy the text go to page 1. and insert it there.

you can now add what you want to say below that quote.

press return afterwards.

Go back to page 2.

Now you have to press the back arrow (either in top left of browser or on your keyboard) this will take you back to the thread you are quoting.

You find the next quote and follow the same methods as for quote 1 above. (select, copy, go to page 1, paste, reply, return)

And so on - I find this simpler because the reply slowly builds up instead of trying to deal with a huge mass of text on your screen at one time :D

Or method 3:

Get a life. :devil::P

That's exactly what method 2 allows :rolleyes: why do things the slow way, when it can be made quicker and simpler? It might sound long and confusing but its actually quite easy... Saves time too :D

Hi darkshine & mumble

Strangely, although clicking the multiquote took me straight into the reply box before, when I read darkshine's explanation of how to do it and clicked multiquote it did change colour! We are using IE9 and Chrome at the moment so maybe it works on one and not the other?

I've just done a post on another thread where I was able to deal with each part of someone's post separately - it's brilliant! Thank you so much :notworthy:

You want to reply to a few quotes so you open up an identical page in a second tab in your browser window - so you have 2 identical pages open.

Now you're talking my language - don't know why I didn't think of this, I do it at work all the time :unsure:

Or method 3:

Get a life.

What's a life? I think I've heard of it but I'm not sure... :devil::lol:

I'm glad it helped you out - sounds like you got a whole new way to express yourself now ;)

Computers is one area where I'm good at applying learned knowledge to other things -- that's why I tried the using a different tab thing (use that method for other things so thought I'd give it a try one day (glad I did) it's good to have a choice :D

Even more brilliantly I'm pleased that I explained it in a way that works for you (rare for me) :lol:

Anyway, I am glad to have been of some use :thumbs:

Even more brilliantly I'm pleased that I explained it in a way that works for you (rare for me) :lol:

Your posts always seem very articulate and clear to me :)

In an attempt at practising the art of patience I have waited for over a month before wondering if anyone has talked about this and what/if any thoughts there were in response? Well, I've wondered most of the time but I've waited to ask anyway and even forced myself to wait longer than the dead-on-a-month date too (which was from the 18th of August!) :lol: