Dijac

Son refuses to take antibiotics

Hi.

W (12) has always had a strong gag reflex - he has just been put on antibiotics for impetigo - but he hates the texture - says it feels grainy and just the thought of it makes him want to vomit - he is supposed to take it 3 x per day - and 3 measures each time - it takes an hour, with a lot of tears, he takes a small amount, then he goes to destress, then try again etc. He can't take pills either - I will call doctor tomorrow, but hate to miss a dose with antibiotics - it is stressing us all out.

Any advice?

Diane

you could try mixing it up with some food he does like and not telling him.if there's any gacky sweet stuff he likes then just mix it .Some antibiotics are available in 'flavours'.it might help if it was pills,you could undo the caps and mix it in food much easier.

Its easy to say,and i wish i could take my own advise more but,don't stress out!

It might be easier to get the tablets then crush them, or better still capsules that you could open up and empty into his drink. I sympathise as we have the same issue with L. We have to pin him down to do it and just syringe it into the back of his mouth bit by bit - if we put in too much, then he throws up the whole lot and more. Thankfully he doesn't need them often but I dread when he does.

Lynne x

Oh, and what we do do, is ask the GP for the more expensive one that you only have to give once per day - it might depend on the type of antibiotic but I know we were able to get it for his last throat infection. You have to ask though as they don't prescribe it as a rule because it is more expensive.

Thanks for your replies. This evening he managed to take it without too much problem. I think because his sores are starting to clear up, he can now see the benefits. But we still had to do a little bit at a time, like you Lynden. But if he continues like tonight, it won't be so bad. We'll see how he is in the morning.

Diane

I used to have this problem quite badly and couldn't take hardly anything as a child (when I say hardly anything I could stomach a well known cold medicine ending with lix and a vitamin that was orange flavoured and that was it, all the other illness, pains etc were a nightmare)

As an adult taking pills is easier but I have to "feel right" or I cannot swallow them, and the gag reflex freaks me out as I am sort of phobic about sick.

With liquid medicine I find having the control to take it when I want helps (within a reasonable amount of time - say 10-20 minutes) and also having a food that will help to take the taste away is a must (chocolate works quite well)

I'm not sure how well hiding it in food will work - I could always tell - although my parents did manage to convince me there wasn't (they later admitted there was!!!!). Also if you hide it the lesson of needing things to get better sometimes is lost.

Good luck with it anyway

Best

Darkshine

Hi.

W (12) has always had a strong gag reflex - he has just been put on antibiotics for impetigo - but he hates the texture - says it feels grainy and just the thought of it makes him want to vomit - he is supposed to take it 3 x per day - and 3 measures each time - it takes an hour, with a lot of tears, he takes a small amount, then he goes to destress, then try again etc. He can't take pills either - I will call doctor tomorrow, but hate to miss a dose with antibiotics - it is stressing us all out.

Any advice?

Diane

Hi, Is there any chancde you get it in liquid form..........i know my son is very suspious of food drinks etc ........lindy

I was excited by your comment Darkshine, and tried it this evening. So I measured the medicine, and told him he could sip under his control.

Alas, seeing the milky liquid in a glass freaked him out even more. I'd even given him a cookie to nibble between sips.

We have now done 3 days out of 7, so almost half way through - we'll persevere, and as long as I let him go and 'de-stress' first, to prepare himself, we seem to be getting there.

Diane

I was excited by your comment Darkshine, and tried it this evening. So I measured the medicine, and told him he could sip under his control.

Alas, seeing the milky liquid in a glass freaked him out even more. I'd even given him a cookie to nibble between sips.

We have now done 3 days out of 7, so almost half way through - we'll persevere, and as long as I let him go and 'de-stress' first, to prepare himself, we seem to be getting there.

Diane

Hiya, its a shame it didn't work - but I have to agree with him - it'd freak me out too!! I guess a lot of the changes in me came as I got older. I really was a total nightmare as a kid especially with liquid medicines, they all made me sick at one time or another (though part of that reason was probably due to getting so upset too). I have to pinch my nose and close my eyes as well now :)

At least you are half way through now :thumbs: