Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Meds for anxiety

I just wondered if any youngsters are on medication for anxiety and if so what type of meds do they take? It's just a general question as I'm quite interested to see what meds seem better than others. My son Glen who is in a residential home, recently had to go back on lorazepam to reduce his anxieties. He only has 1mg 4 times a day if required for the short term as lorazpam is very addictive.

I take Chlordiazepoxide (10mg 3x day) on an as needed basis. In the past it's helped reduce my anxiety so I can engage with other non-medication based therapy. It also allows me to extend what I can cope with, and I find with events over a few days I can reduce the dose as I 'get used to' the new environment etc., so rather than masking all anxiety, it makes it manageable and allows me to use other strategies. Only side-effect is that is does make me sleepy.

Who is prescribing the medication? Can you have a talk with them about what the options are.

I don't know anything about the medication you've mentioned.

I have taken sertraline myself some years ago for about 9 months. It worked for me and I came off it.

The Paediatrician is talking about maybe starting my son on Sertraline or Prozac for anxiety and OCD to see if that helps him whilst he is trying to get back into school.

I am hoping that if it reduces his anxieties, and he copes in school, that he may get out of any habital type of anxiety or OCD behaviour. But I know that anxiety is a major factor for most people on the spectrum and therefore anxiety, to some extent, will always be an issue.

If you are not happy with the addictive side of the current medication, ask what else is available.