Special_talent123

I want to move to bristol

After my disastrous experience in Skipton I wished there was a way of finding out what different areas of the UK are really like, especially with regard to adult Asperger's provision. Then I could have focussed all my job-searching efforts on the "good" areas and avoided the bad ones like the plague. I had hoped that during my time in London (cf my intro thread again) I might have found some kind of support service who could have pointed me in the right direction, but all I found were Asperger social groups (i.e. pub nights and bowling :wallbash: ) and Prospects, and as on the two previous occasions when I tried to use their services I never got beyond the waiting list. Plus ça change.

I managed to put the question "are some areas of the UK noticeably better in terms of adult Asperger's provision?" to a representative of the NAS at the London Autistic Rights Movement's meeting last night. He said that Hertfordshire and Bristol ( :thumbs: ) are particularly strong on that front - though even within these local authorities there are reports of dissatisfaction, and waiting lists in Bristol can be as long as 18 months.

Incidentally when I lost the Skipton job, a friend did suggest that I make the move to Bristol then, in the light of my much-expressed wish to move there (or rather, wish to have had moved there), even in the absence of a job. Call me naive, but I couldn't for the life of me see how I could have afforded to pay Bristol rents without a regular income; it's hardly the cheapest place in the country.

Too right.:(

I wanted to move to Bristol after I lost my last job but one (see my introduction thread), but there was evidently very little recruitment going on there between 2009 and 2010 - despite having bookmarked what seemed like every engineering/technical consultancy or relevant environment-related thing in the city I only managed to apply for two jobs there, both with the same firm (Garrad Hassan), and didn't get interviewed. When I got the job in Skipton, the first issue of Positive News I happened to receive after moving up north carried a feature about how wonderfully environmentally progressive and so ahead of the game Bristol is. Sod's law indeed.

Positive News have done another "isn't Bristol marvellous" article. Link

Four years on, the prospect of a move there seems as elusive for me as ever.

Edited by Aeolienne