Special_talent123

I want to move to bristol

I am not sure if I ever mentioned this before, but I am currently not happy with where I live. I not happy with my town where I live, there is hardly any services I can use other than under 25's and nothing for people like me with autism. I searched online there is 2 hours away a lot of services in bristol for autism by using the autism directory

Pros

• Fresh start
  • Face to Face support at Rape Crisis (said If i lived there I can have face to face :)
  • Alot of Autism services in Bristol
  • Autism Living places
  • Lots of activities to do (museums and all that)
  • Events such as fashion shows, gay pride places, reclaim the night- stand out for sexual violence
  • Making new friends
  • Join Rock Choir
  • Beautiful place
  • Autism youth clubs for adults

Cons

• Miss Choir Leader
  • Where to live
  • Don't drive
  • Getting Lost
  • No one to stay with

Edited by Special_talent123

Hi

Have you been to visit Bristol before? If you did live there and needed to get back home how would you do it? So if you were using public transport how long realistically would it take and would you cope with the journey?

Maybe if its possible you could go stay at a B&B for a few days just to get a real idea of what it would be like to live there. Actually go and visit the services you would like to use and look at accomadation options,ask questions etc. It may be very different from what you have been told or read online. You would not want to move only to realise you do not like it.

There are a lot of Pros, and I think the Cons are all things which could be overcome. The biggest issue is accommodation. Do you have anyone who can help you look into this?

voice uk going to help me. i have lists i need to do

1. Email Voice UK which done, who are trying to find me autism living places.

2. Find suitable accommodation with support from Voice UK

3. Sort out room

4. wait for answer if getting place

5. sort out benefits- housing benefit particullary

6. sort out doctors

7. take me off council list if found a place

8. buy things I need to move

9. Savings

10. Transport

11. Bus pass sort out changing address

12. contact dentist

Edited by Special_talent123

I wanted to move to Bristol after I lost my last job but one (see my introduction thread), but there was evidently very little recruitment going on there between 2009 and 2010 - despite having bookmarked what seemed like every engineering/technical consultancy or relevant environment-related thing in the city I only managed to apply for two jobs there, both with the same firm (Garrad Hassan), and didn't get interviewed. When I got the job in Skipton, the first issue of Positive News I happened to receive after moving up north carried a feature about how wonderfully environmentally progressive and so ahead of the game Bristol is. Sod's law indeed.

Oh well, maybe I should ask for 'Blue Lines' for Christmas as a belated compensation for having failed to achieve my Brizzle dream. Here's a little track from the album to get Special_talent123 into the mood:

Edited by Aeolienne

So is this how the benefit system works - you decide where you want to live, the state picks up the costs?

I am confused now. I live on benefits I am only able to volunteer.

Well I think maybe you need to think long term. You don't plan to always be on benefits(I hope) so it would be ideal for you to look int the long term prospects of where you will live. For example I am studying nursing and the hospital is just 15min walk from my home,I know that at my uni 80% of students do get employment at the same hospital where we train,this is why I made a decision a year ago to move. I also had to look at prospects for my children.Its not easy to look to the future but it is important when making a big decision. I don't think anyone is trying to put you off,its your decision,but more about making sure you have looked at it realistically.

im looking into supported housing, and i have to move or i will not get better.

im not making comments about benefits, because I know myself and struggle with things and i can't get paid work without level 1 or level 2 english and maths which making no improvement and ive dropped out of college because I simply can't cope. I have thought about this for a long time though

So is this how the benefit system works - you decide where you want to live, the state picks up the costs?

That was a bit uncalled for. I take it you wouldn't use the state-funded NHS, education system, or roads then.

im looking into supported housing, and i have to move or i will not get better.

im not making comments about benefits, because I know myself and struggle with things and i can't get paid work without level 1 or level 2 english and maths which making no improvement and ive dropped out of college because I simply can't cope. I have thought about this for a long time though

That sounds really good :thumbs: It sounds like you know what you want so I would say go for it.So long as you can get the accomodation sorted.Do you have someone to help with the move? Also someone to help move all your benefits etc over to where your new home will be(you may need to go for an interview or similar in your new area),or are you ok to do it yourself?

I hope if you do move it will be a positive experience >:D<<'>

yes im fine with interviews, i did it for this place. Looking into hiring a van and someone but Voice UK says community grants can help towards that don't know how much mileage ould cost.

I talk to benefits on the phone alot alls i would need to do is ring them with new address but would have to sort out housing benefit.

yes im fine with interviews, i did it for this place. Looking into hiring a van and someone but Voice UK says community grants can help towards that don't know how much mileage ould cost.

I talk to benefits on the phone alot alls i would need to do is ring them with new address but would have to sort out housing benefit.

So you are organised then, thats brilliant :thumbs:

Moving is a big step but if you think Bristol is right for you, go for it. You seem to have everything well organised so far.

Good luck :)

K x

After my disastrous experience in Skipton I wished there was a way of finding out what different areas of the UK are really like, especially with regard to adult Asperger's provision. Then I could have focussed all my job-searching efforts on the "good" areas and avoided the bad ones like the plague. I had hoped that during my time in London (cf my intro thread again) I might have found some kind of support service who could have pointed me in the right direction, but all I found were Asperger social groups (i.e. pub nights and bowling :wallbash: ) and Prospects, and as on the two previous occasions when I tried to use their services I never got beyond the waiting list. Plus ça change.

I don't even know how Cambridge ranks on that score, but it's where I've ended up (through landing an internship here), for better or worse.

Inicidentally when I lost the Skipton job, a friend did suggest that I make the move to Bristol then, in the light of my much-expressed wish to move there (or rather, wish to have had moved there), even in the absence of a job. Call me naive, but I couldn't for the life of me see how I could have afforded to pay Bristol rents without a regular income; it's hardly the cheapest place in the country. I'm ineligible for housing benefit (through owning a flat in Exeter) and too old for CSV (Community Services Volunteers).

Funny how I sometimes get the feeling that other people are so clued up about support services anyone would think they'd been issued with an instruction manual along with their AS diagnosis.

Edited by Aeolienne

When I got the job in Skipton, the first issue of Positive News I happened to receive after moving up north carried a feature about how wonderfully environmentally progressive and so ahead of the game Bristol is

Here is that article. Meanwhile, the other day I saw this for sale at Hatchard's: Bristol: A guide to good living.

Special_talent, have you been to Mshed yet?

Another piece of Bristolian talent: Mysterons by Portishead

Well I think maybe you need to think long term. You don't plan to always be on benefits (I hope) so it would be ideal for you to look into the long term prospects of where you will live. For example I am studying nursing and the hospital is just 15min walk from my home, I know that at my uni 80% of students do get employment at the same hospital where we train, this is why I made a decision a year ago to move. I also had to look at prospects for my children. It's not easy to look to the future but it is important when making a big decision. I don't think anyone is trying to put you off, it's your decision, but more about making sure you have looked at it realistically.

Would these people be any help for finding you work?

Slight sidebar but @Aeolienne - can I ask what Uni you attended?

St Andrews for first degree, Oxford for master's.

Incidentally, Spinnaker Associates (the link in my last message) are unlikely to be of any help for finding work in Bristol: I just received a reply to an email I sent them yesterday saying:

I must change my website as I think this is where you have read that I do recruitment. It is in very limited circumstances so I'm afraid I cannot help. You may also have seen my connection with the Schumacher Institute where we are always open to talk to individuals who want to develop a project but who may not be able to get mainstream buy in.

In my own searches I have found agencies which are orientated to sustainability. I think Green Acres was one. So I wish you success in your search for new work. My main work is career advice and support in transitions whether within one's existing job or in the move to a new job/career. I also do mediation work based on family systems theories.

I only found about them via the list of exhibitors at last October's Environmental Trade Show (another link), most of whom were from the Bristol area.

Edited by Aeolienne

no. aeoline, i have failed my course as it is. Benefits system can see me only capable doing volunteer and there right. I am not well in myself as well and doing work adds to it. i tried with one volunteer work and that failed too

After my disastrous experience in Skipton I wished there was a way of finding out what different areas of the UK are really like, especially with regard to adult Asperger's provision. Then I could have focussed all my job-searching efforts on the "good" areas and avoided the bad ones like the plague. I had hoped that during my time in London (cf my intro thread again) I might have found some kind of support service who could have pointed me in the right direction, but all I found were Asperger social groups (i.e. pub nights and bowling :wallbash: ) and Prospects, and as on the two previous occasions when I tried to use their services I never got beyond the waiting list. Plus ça change.

I don't even know how Cambridge ranks on that score, but it's where I've ended up (through landing an internship here), for better or worse.

And now I'm about to leave. The internship was supposed to last until 10 February, but my landlady (with whom I've boarded since 15 January, the second landlady I've had since October) has thrown a spanner in the works by telling me she needs me out this weekend. Evidently my elderly cousin who found this landlady for me gave her inaccurate information about how long I needed to be in Cambridge for. Mind you, he'd also been telling her I was only 25! Seriously. :wallbash: As my employers seem to have sod-all for me to do at work, there doesn't seem much point in commuting from London for the final week.

Inicidentally when I lost the Skipton job, a friend did suggest that I make the move to Bristol then, in the light of my much-expressed wish to move there (or rather, wish to have had moved there), even in the absence of a job. Call me naive, but I couldn't for the life of me see how I could have afforded to pay Bristol rents without a regular income; it's hardly the cheapest place in the country. I'm ineligible for housing benefit (through owning a flat in Exeter) and too old for CSV (Community Services Volunteers).

I had someone else giving me the same advice - "just move to Bristol now" - last week. She asked me if I knew anybody there with a spare room, and I said I have a cousin (of my own generation) living with her husband and 2 small kids north of the city centre, plus my brother's parents-in-law live out of town not far from the airport. Don't know if it would be reasonable to stay with either of them for an extended length of time, besides which my desktop computer remains in my parents' house in London; I'm not going to be very well-placed for jobhunting if I have to get by on just an hour a day's internet access at the public library. Unless Bristol happens to be well-provided with cheap 'n' cheerful cybercafés?

Edited by Aeolienne

What's a mifi? Can you update a CV on "a phone internet"?

its a wifi but personal one. I connect internet to computer using the wireless bit and i type in password and connected to internet. these are mifis

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=mifi&pbx=1&oq=mifi&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=28807l29313l0l29732l4l4l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=fca0a83b641f48f8&biw=1366&bih=664

But my computer's not portable, no matter how many gizmos I carry around with me. That was the point I was making.

But my computer's not portable, no matter how many gizmos I carry around with me. That was the point I was making.

If you moved couldn't you just take it with you? Or save up for a laptop? Or hope that the cyber cafe's and library are really accommodating? ;) Edited by darkshine

If you moved couldn't you just take it with you?

I wouldn't be able to use my desktop computer anywhere else without changing the address my broadband/phone package is registered with. In which case my broadband provider might insist on a new phone line being installed at the said address, which they have insisted on doing each time I've moved house so far - not an ideal option if I'm staying with the relatives I mentioned above.

Or save up for a laptop?

I can't save up for anything if I don't have a regular income, and I can't see how I could have the latter without a job.

It's possible to change the address without getting a new line - a family member of mine did it when they moved in with a family member who did not have broadband - I guess it also depends on whether your relatives already have broadband - in which case you could use theirs and still access all your stuff.

I know that email addresses can be kept cuz my parents went from bt to sky, and still use bt addresses... also worth a thought if you ever want to change provider :)

I understand about the money - if my computer/netbook broke I'd have a very hard job in replacing them any time before the next decade sets in - annoying isn't it... Still, there's always that hope of good internet access in Bristol - which I wouldn't have a clue about ;)

Hi there.

All you do is take your computer with you.

If where your are moving in to have a wireless router, two options. first hard wire your computer into it. Probably no realy an option. Or buy a wireless adapter which plugs into your desktop and converts it to wireless. cost as little as £5.

Then all you need is their router wireless network name and key, then off you go.

If they haven't got Broadband, and your only staying short term, them its a pay as you go donegal thing.

In most cases your email address has nothing to do with with Phone line, which router your using or anything.

If you have to have a new email provider (new address,) it take all of 30 seconds to set one up. All you need to do is make sure you have all the email addresses that you want to keep written down somewhere so you don't lose them.

The broadband provider would only insist on a new phone line if the existing one was not up to standard. The vast majority of them are good enough.

When I moved where i am now despite the company I was with saying that I could take my broadband with my anywhere (At the same cost), turned out it was only to areas were broadband is unbundled, so change company. Phoned up and had broadband connected next day.

I have moved from place to place in the UK a few times, all Iv ever done is find somewhere to live and move.

Sort the rest out once I was there.

If you realy want to move that's all you need, if you start worrying about things like "I wont be able to use my computer" you will never move.

Of course you need to be certain in your mind what your moving for. Don't think that every thing is going to be rosy, its not

Edited by chris54