It can be an sensory issue..

It can be difficulty in getting several systems to sync and work fluently..

It might even help to read with one eye closed..

it is even known that reading with one side is very analytical.. reading with the other the text is read in an emotional fashion!!

you nééd more (auditory) input to really get it..

I dó recognize that.. For during my study, I need to listen and write down what the teacher tells (which luckily works)..

when a test is near.. I work out my initial notes.. that helps al lot in remembring, for me!

It may be a case that you are having a few issues with retaining the structure of the story in your brain. Your strategy of reading out aloud seems like a good idea as it helps to reinforce what you are reading and send a stronger message to your brain. When it comes to things like this I believe it is a case of persevering as I have found things tend to get better over time if we are consistent as we develop stronger and more organised neurological pathways.

It might be an idea to have a notebook next to you and write down the main bullet points of the story as you go along. I tend to find fiction a lot harder than factual books and when stories go off at a tangent or there are long sections of flowery description I can often loose track of what is happening in the story and have to go back and re-read sections quite frequently.

The other option is to read childrens books, I do this a lot with my son and I really enjoy the experience as the difficulty level of the stories is often a lot easier and I can relax and enjoy the books as they were intended to be enjoyed. In contrast I find a lot of adult fiction a real chore and often I can't get past the first few chapters, yet at times I can find some authors and due to their style of writting things are far easier, I then try and read everything they have published.

It can be an sensory issue..

It can be difficulty in getting several systems to sync and work fluently..

It might even help to read with one eye closed..

it is even known that reading with one side is very analytical.. reading with the other the text is read in an emotional fashion!!

you nééd more (auditory) input to really get it..

I dó recognize that.. For during my study, I need to listen and write down what the teacher tells (which luckily works)..

when a test is near.. I work out my initial notes.. that helps al lot in remembring, for me!

Auditory; that makes sense. I been told my dyspraxia affects my auditory and verbal understanding of things.

It may be a case that you are having a few issues with retaining the structure of the story in your brain. Your strategy of reading out aloud seems like a good idea as it helps to reinforce what you are reading and send a stronger message to your brain. When it comes to things like this I believe it is a case of persevering as I have found things tend to get better over time if we are consistent as we develop stronger and more organised neurological pathways.

It might be an idea to have a notebook next to you and write down the main bullet points of the story as you go along. I tend to find fiction a lot harder than factual books and when stories go off at a tangent or there are long sections of flowery description I can often loose track of what is happening in the story and have to go back and re-read sections quite frequently.

The other option is to read childrens books, I do this a lot with my son and I really enjoy the experience as the difficulty level of the stories is often a lot easier and I can relax and enjoy the books as they were intended to be enjoyed. In contrast I find a lot of adult fiction a real chore and often I can't get past the first few chapters, yet at times I can find some authors and due to their style of writting things are far easier, I then try and read everything they have published.

I am the same.... but I am reading a real life story its a true story. About a kid who lost her mum, and the kid has addisions disease and ends in foster care.

Your library may also have auditory books if that might help.

Interestingly on the TV programme QI, they said that centuries ago everyone used to read out loud. The idea of reading quietly to yourself had never been done!

My son also has to say things out loud - not reading, just instructions etc otherwise he cannot retain the information.

I find that if I'm having trouble grasping something I will read it out loud. I will also talk though things out loud. Drives my wife mad as she needs total silence when ever she is doing anything.

Auditory; that makes sense. I been told my dyspraxia affects my auditory and verbal understanding of things.
Maybe you can find a volunteer to read out certain books?! When you can't find them as such in the library ;-)

Hi

I have problems with reading books, have to read the same page over and over again only trouble is I go onto the next page and forget what I read on the previous page. Also when some people read they can sort of imagine what is happening in their minds , when I read I don't get any of that at all. It's like just words on a page nothing seems to sink in. If that makes any sense.

Or if reading is just not working for you, what about watching DVDs? There are films based on books [not always a true replica of the book though]. And if that works for you, then stick with that. Why beat yourself up about something you cannot do??

Rainbow would be interest about how you found out you where hyperlexic.

I think so many of us have these special talents and a lot of effort around ASD seems to be based around problem solving, rather than drawing out the positives we posses hence my interest on how so we can bulid that into out genral concoiusnes.