thomas mg

What is your favourite music?

I find music is a great coping mechanism for the stresses and alienation we encounter in this NT world we find ourselves. What are your favourite bands/artists?

I find that Radiohead in particular lyrically resonate the most with the autistic mindset for some reason. Growing up as a young adult their work struck a chord with me, especially their late 90's stuff OK computer era stuff. REM's retirement was a dark day for me.

I like a wide gamut of music from classical/choral to pop/rock/dance etc as well as the famous group album cover as your avatar. I recently brought the vinyl version again as my old one disappeared.

I listen to music as the mood takes. Sometimes I like repetitive continuous rhythm as found in some 1980s electro/hip-hop, sometimes I play long repetive melodies on the piano (autistic mode on)...it all depends. If I wish to go into depressed mode (which isn't often now), I have particular types of music that I relate to more easily especially if I listened to it previously in my depressed years. But in terms of artists, I love some songs and hate others. I may not like all songs from a particular artist.

music depends on my mood, when im in the gym i,ll opt for some heavy metal, stick in the cd and crank it up, you,ll be amazed how many pepole in the gym train with more intensity once i put the metal on. when im chilling at home i go for a touch of euporic trance, out and about in the car or whatever you cant beat some 80,s classics. im very open minded when it comes to music, exept n dubz or dizzy racal, that sort of music is killing childrens brain cells and corrupting there minds. it shouldnt be called music its just awful awful noise, some idiot talking in a ridiculous voice, and they call that music? dear o dear!

Might I suggest moving this to Off Topic?

Sorry if i have misposted this thread, it wasn't my intention. My hope was to discuss music that specifically strikes chords with ASD issues.

In hindsight i probably should've named the thread diferentally. I'm talking not about music for music's sake, but relations with music that transcends purely the entertainment value.

I wanted to bring up Radiohead specifically because the content of their work engages primarilly the feelings of alienation, confusion, isolation and social exclusion that most of us here experience. I'm interested if anyone else here has had similar experiences with the sort of music they've listened to. Something that makes you bond to the artist on an almost 'emotional level' for want of a better expression because it has engaged something within you regarding with your ASD tendencies. I've had similar experiences when listening to the likes of Led Zepellin, Joy Division and the Smiths but nothing compares to RH. This is opening myself open to mockery, but I feel that Yorke and I are some sort of kindred souls.

I mean, look at the video to 'There There'. If you can appreciate the value of metaphorical reference it looks and feels like a freaking typical day in the life of an aspie.

Edited by thomas mg