Tally

Yay!

My parents are planning a bit of a get-together and a picnic to mark my brother's birthday in a couple of weeks. Mostly it's his old school friends and a few of our family who live close by. We also invited a little girl he used to work with at the respite centre, who was one of his favourites. She has very severe learning disabilities and she stopped going to the respite centre because she got a place at a residential school, but they used to exchange postcards and he visited her at home sometimes. She doesn't come home very often so we expected she would not be able to make the picnic. But it turns out she is home that weekend and she is coming to the picnic, so I will get to meet her!

I'm going to make her a little picture book called "My Friend David" with some photos. I only have one of them both together, but I'm going to choose some funny pictures of the things he liked to do and caption them with things like, "David liked to show off his muscles," "David liked to climb trees," and things like that.

She has a couple of photos of him in her bedroom at school and she likes to light candles for him when she visits churches to listen to the bells, so I think she will like a little photo album.

Absoloutly lovely idea Tally. I am sure you will have a lot of fun making the book and giving it as a present.

Thanks for your post put a big smile on my face.

I hope that the infernal rain stops so you can all have a nice picnic Tally - although things like that can sometimes be as much or more fun when not everything is perfect - despite that fact I will wish for less rain anyway, its nicer if people aren't soaked!! :thumbs:

I'm hoping for dry weather too!

My photo album is nearly finished, just waiting for my mum to give me the photo of David with the girl to copy and stick in.

I'm hoping for dry weather too!

My photo album is nearly finished, just waiting for my mum to give me the photo of David with the girl to copy and stick in.

It is a very thoughtful gesture Tally, it sounds like making this album has been a positive source of focus for you - I hope you enjoy meeting this girl at the picnic :)

PS - I'm sure we can all cross our fingers for good weather for you when its a little closer to the time :D

Edited by darkshine

I was disappointed that I did not get the photo of David and the girl together before the picnic today, so the album is not quite finished and I could not give it to her today.

Then when she arrived she got very upset and her parents had to take her back home before we could meet her. So sadly I still have not met her :(

But there was someone else who did not make it either, my brother's boss, the manager of the respite centre. So we are going to have a second, smaller picnic.

The weather today has been lovely. David's birthday would have been on Wednesday and that was a really hard day, but today has been very enjoyable.

It's good the day went ok - even despite the people who were not there - and a good excuse to do it again! :)

Are you going to save the album til you meet - or post it?